• Livestream AMA: Join SDN as we welcome Dr. John Ligon, a Pediatric Oncologist with the National Cancer Institute on May 11th at 8:00 PM Eastern. Register now!

MdBrndPhrmcst

Keeping it real....
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
May 12, 2006
Maryland
Status (Visible)
  1. Pharmacist
For any of you financial wizards out there.. wanted to get your thoughts on what I should do with my money...

My company offers a tax deffered annuity I can place up to $15,000 a year into mutual funds pre tax. However as we know market isn't great right now.

My company doesn't offer any 401K (it offers a 403b in which they contribute ~5,000 per year but that doesn't kick in until after 2 years of service)

I have about $75,000 in loans (interest 3.8%)

Think I should be putting my money into the annuity or just pay off loans?

Old Timer

10+ Year Member
May 16, 2007
Status (Visible)
  1. Pharmacist
Here is the basic law of finance 101 If you are carrying debt at X% you pay off the debt of you believe the return on your investment will be less than X% and you invest your money if your believe your return will be more than X%.

About the Ads

FruitFly

Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Apr 20, 2007
Monaco
Status (Visible)
A TDA's always a pretty good idea... Pay off those loand little by little. They're low enough and you have a great rate. Don't pay it all in one swoop. Contribute the max to ur TDA and establish a savings. :thumbup:

MdBrndPhrmcst

Keeping it real....
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
May 12, 2006
Maryland
Status (Visible)
  1. Pharmacist
I would kill to only owe $75k at 3.8% my god. Where in the world did you get that low of an interest rate? lol

I couple years ago the rates were real low (I think) like 1.9%. I consolidated those along with the ones I owed right after I graduated and that was the amount. I know alot of people are much worst off.. but many of my instate friends are much better off!!!:mad:

A TDA is when they take a certain % out of each of your pay check pre tax and put it into a mutual fund/savings account. So the good thing about it is you aren't taxed on the money that is taken out (so if you get 2500 a pay check but then put 500 into a the annuity account you only get taxed on the 2000.) Of course you'll pay the taxes when your 59 1/2 and start taking the money out.

I just wish they didn't make the paper work for signing up for these so damn complicated.

confettiflyer

Model Citizen™
15+ Year Member
Dec 19, 2004
Best Coast
Status (Visible)
  1. Pharmacist
A TDA sounds like a normal 401k/403b to me.

$75k @ 3.8%? Don't even bother making this a priority to pay off.

Build a "6 months of expenses" emergency account in a high yield savings account (ie ING or something).
Pay off credit cards/other higher interest debt.
Contribute to your 403b (do they match from day 1 and not vest until year 2? or is it just a straight $5k/yr employer contrib starting year 2?).
Hedge your bets and open a Roth IRA.

I'd maximally contribute to an aggressive portfolio given the market now....it's a great time to buy equities. If you don't know too much, just throw it into a targeted retirement account and let it sit.

MdBrndPhrmcst

Keeping it real....
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
May 12, 2006
Maryland
Status (Visible)
  1. Pharmacist
6 months expenses account? hmmm that'll take awhile...

The TDA its not a 403b I think, for the TDA there is no matching.. you can just put money in.

After 2 years that is when the 403b kicks in, and they put in $5,000 without any contributions from you.

Roth IRA may not be feasible I may be grossing too much :D .. I think I might start a traditional one.

Invest in equities? what does that mean? like mutal funds? sorry i'm pretty ******ed about money matters....

aboveliquidice

No sacrifice - No victory
Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
Apr 23, 2006
San Antonio, TX
Status (Visible)
  1. Pharmacist
A TDA sounds like a normal 401k/403b to me.

$75k @ 3.8%? Don't even bother making this a priority to pay off.

Build a "6 months of expenses" emergency account in a high yield savings account (ie ING or something).
Pay off credit cards/other higher interest debt.
Contribute to your 403b (do they match from day 1 and not vest until year 2? or is it just a straight $5k/yr employer contrib starting year 2?).
Hedge your bets and open a Roth IRA.

I'd maximally contribute to an aggressive portfolio given the market now....it's a great time to buy equities. If you don't know too much, just throw it into a targeted retirement account and let it sit.

I have heard this before... I dont know if you need to be that extreme. I have heard from my family's finacial planner that having 3 months worth of TOTAL EXPENSES is sufficient. If your lifestyle has you spending 4K per month - then you really should have 12K in a high yield savings account - with instant access available.

I also agree that if you can pull more than 3.8% investing / saving = it would be a waste of money to pay down those school loans...

~above~

confettiflyer

Model Citizen™
15+ Year Member
Dec 19, 2004
Best Coast
Status (Visible)
  1. Pharmacist
Haha oh yeah forgot about grossing too much to qualify for a Roth. I forgot for a hot second that pharmacists make pretty decent $$.

As for living expenses... yeah, I've seen 3 and 6 months as the general advice. Given market conditions, I'd opt for 6 months. Given the choice between paying down a 3.8% loan and socking money away into savings, I'd rather fill it to 6 months. Shoot, you can probably get a better rate than 3.8% for savings. After 3 months of expenses, it's all probably personal preference anyway.

And yes...when I say invest in equities, I mean mutual funds/stocks/etc... So contribute to your 403b, get your log-in information, and set your incoming money to invest in a targeted fund. They're usually named "Future Fund 2050" or "Target 2050" or something.

MdBrndPhrmcst

Keeping it real....
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
May 12, 2006
Maryland
Status (Visible)
  1. Pharmacist
[Given the choice between paying down a 3.8% loan and socking money away into savings, I'd rather fill it to 6 months. Shoot, you can probably get a better rate than 3.8% for savings.

I you can find a savings account with relatively good liquidity that yeild better than 3.9% please let me know!! Bank of America tops out at like 2.8% and ING is around 3%. Thats why I was leaning towards paying off my loans instead..

Thanks for your advice..

confettiflyer

Model Citizen™
15+ Year Member
Dec 19, 2004
Best Coast
Status (Visible)
  1. Pharmacist
Look up "CD Laddering" to get a good yield and better liquidity.

Besides, if you pay off your loans and "something" were to happen, you won't have cash to tap into (you'll have to tap a credit card instead, at interest rates >10% on avg). Even if you stick $10k @ 3% or whatever with ING, consider that extra .8% the cost of an emergency fund.

If you have any questions or want to send me details that you don't want to post, PM me, I'll be glad to help :thumbup:

About the Ads
This thread is more than 12 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
  2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
  5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
  6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  7. This thread is locked.