Pay to be a resident in Baylor (Houston)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

pinipig523

I like my job!
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Is this true? They have to pay 15,000 per semester now?

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
Maybe in parking...

I really doubt there is a program in the country that can fill with anything but the least competitive applicants if they even just had a significantly lower salary let alone a tuition.

Heard of tuition in dental residencies, but never in medical ones. Doubt the acgme would approve that.

Maybe in parking...

I really doubt there is a program in the country that can fill with anything but the least competitive applicants if they even just had a significantly lower salary let alone a tuition.
Source is my uncles son who supposedly a resident there. Said that sometime after the start of residency, he was told to pay for 2 semesters. Seems like it was undisclosed during the interview process... Which to me sounds fishy.

I don't believe this is a possible scenario.

And he says they work 48h on and then off. That's not possible with the new hours cap... During my residency they just started the no more than 16h straight rule.

Source is my uncles son who supposedly a resident there. Said that sometime after the start of residency, he was told to pay for 2 semesters. Seems like it was undisclosed during the interview process... Which to me sounds fishy.

And he says they work 48h on and then off. That's not possible with the new hours cap... During my residency they just started the no more than 16h straight rule.

48 hours wasn't possible under the old hours cap. It maxed out at 36. Unless you included home call, but that's a whole other thing.
And nobody's doing 48 hours (or 36, or 24) in the ED...

Paying for residency is an ACGME no-no. Now... if there's some kind of MPH/PhD/postgrad program folded in, then maybe you'd have to pay for the MPH/PhD/postgrad coursework.

Reactions: 1 user

This is why it's confusing for everyone to call their training a residency. Intentionally done to try to blur the lines of course. Even saw some np program with a 4 credit class called nursing residency

An attending I worked with during my EM sub-I recently went off about this type of thing. One of my patients came into the ED wearing scrubs that had her name on them and under her name said "medical student". Turns out she is a phlebotomist technician student. It irritated him even more that when he saw the patient, he said "so you are a medical student?" and she simply answered "yes." I am sure she tells everyone she is in medical school as well.....

An attending I worked with during my EM sub-I recently went off about this type of thing. One of my patients came into the ED wearing scrubs that had her name on them and under her name said "medical student". Turns out she is a phlebotomist technician student. It irritated him even more that when he saw the patient, he said "so you are a medical student?" and she simply answered "yes." I am sure she tells everyone she is in medical school as well.....

Perhaps you should have transferred the "medical student" over to the Sociology Department so that s/he could be treated by a "doctor". This guy looks like he could work in an ED.

It's not true. I know many residents and faculty at Baylor. Parking in the Texas Med Center will cost you a fortune, though.

I once paid for a ER residency in Baylor. Their bar tab, that is. Still waiting to get paid back, btw. Not holding my breathe.