Payback for HPSP and USUHS

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

midn

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Ok, I am extremely confused of the commitment required by HPSP and/or USUHS.
Ok, HPSP requires 4 years active duty and USUHS requires 7 years upon graduation. Most people will go and do their residencies which apparently (according to the HPSP sticky) count towards the commitment but adds on an additional year. So does that mean you can essentially say that residency counts towards nothing? Also, if I have prior ROTC requirement (the four years plus the IRR which I'm not counting here), is that just another few years that will be completed by serving as a doctor (after residency)?
Hypothetical situation: I have just graduate with the HPSP scholarship and am heading off to a 6 year residency program and have a 4 year commitment. So I do the 6 year residency and knock off the 4 years to my commitment but then accrue six years the momment my residency is up? So would that mean that I would spend 6 years doing my residency and then another 6 years fulfilling my commitment? If so, that seems rather much.
Lastly, this is a completely off-topic question, but does HPSP or USUHS have any medical/dental benefits while in school?

Edit
OK, so USUHS requires SEVEN YEARS of active duty. This is insane! I don't think it would be smart of me to stay in ROTC and do USUHS. That would be 11 years of active duty AFTER my residency. I'll be in my 40s by the time I finish my commitment. I did want to make a career out of it, but if it's potentially as bad as people say it is... oh boy.

Members don't see this ad.

Yes, you have the commitments correct.

USUHS - medical & dental = yes. You receive full pay & allowances as a second lieutenant. HPSP no.

RichL025 said:
Yes, you have the commitments correct.

USUHS - medical & dental = yes. You receive full pay & allowances as a second lieutenant. HPSP no.

Whoa, whoa, so that hypothetical situation with the residency is true? So, the longer your residency is, the more potential you have to tack on more years after your residency? Oy.

Yup. Fellowship too.