Paying for clinical experience?

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - MD' started by NubianPrincess, Nov 1, 2001.

1. NubianPrincess

NubianPrincess Perpetually Bored

Medical Student
    I went to a pre-med meeting today and we were informed about an upcoming opportunity to obeserve an experimental surgery. In addition to viewing, we would learn about various techniques such as blood gas analysis, etc., and one would get a certificate of participation. Just as I was getting excited, I realized that there was a $300 fee involved. Why must everything cost so much money? Will I miss out on the good stuff as an undergrad unless I write a check?

2. Thread continues after this sponsor message. SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. rxfudd

rxfudd 1K Member

Attending Physician
    Before you pay $300 to observe a surgery, call around and see if you can get a shadowing opportunity somewhere - lots of people do this and it's free. I shadowed in the ER at an Illinois hospital and it was lots of fun. Most departments have a few docs who would be more than happy to let you watch for a day (sometimes more if you're particularly ambitious). I've never heard of someone having to pay anything (let alone that much money) to simply observe. Unless you get a TV with it, I'd be skeptical...

4. sandflea

sandflea Senior Member

wow, i totally agree with rxfudd. close that checkbook! there are PLENTY of free opportunities out there. and what's with the 'certificate of participation'?! you get a certificate that you observed a surgery? that's unbelievable. it's really not that rare for someone to observe a surgery, and a one-time observation isn't going to count for much when you apply to med school. again, call around and get something at a local hospital. this 'program' sounds like a scam to me, one that preys upon anxious premeds.

5. NubianPrincess

NubianPrincess Perpetually Bored

Medical Student
    Oh, im even better than skeptical...im broke :)
    But thanks for the advice. Maybe the hospital I volunteer in has some opportunity. I was curious as to whether its normal to pay for these types of experiences.

6. THE instiGATOR

THE instiGATOR Cow Tipper

Nubian,

Shadow a surgeon! It's great! I've been shadowing a surgeon for half a year and have really enjoyed the experience. I don't even know if I will stop when accepted. Maybe I'll trim the clinical time and only attend operations.

$300 is absurd! Forget that!

7. Daredevil

Daredevil Senior Member

Attending Physician
    They are ripping you off, man.

8. none

none 1K Member

Volunteer at a VA Hospital ER. They'll let you observe and even assist to some extent.

9. snowballz

snowballz Senior Member

$300 for what? RIP OFF!!! They are ripping you guys off big time. Especially since blood gas analysis takes roughly 20 minutes to learn the basic concepts of..if that.

Never be so desperate for clinical experience that you have to pay for it.

I'd rather not have it, then have to pay for it. What is their excuse for offering it so expensively anyway?

Alicia

10. Szkwicz

Szkwicz Senior Member

I've found doctors who have let me shadow them and I shadowed them twice a week for an entire semester. I'd usually go for about 3-4 hours each time too. It was absolutely free and I think you can get alot more out of something like that than a one-time surgery viewing. Just my 2 cents.

11. NE_Cornhusker1

NE_Cornhusker1 12" Member

I'll tell you a secret for 299 dollars. It's this, THEY ARE TRYING TO RIP YOU OFF. But they know they'll get a least 2 or 3 students with Mom and Dad's $ to spend to do this.

12. Trek

Trek Grand Uranium Member

I'll echo these other guys- someone has a Benzo payment to make. What easier way than to milk it out of loaded pre-meds?? Screw it- find a guy/girl that wants to take you on and hang out. There's lots doctors like that around who would love to see a new face. Find 'em and be happy! --Trek