Paying for Dental School (Advice Needed)

Discussion in 'Dental' started by brainfreeze, Nov 27, 2005.

1. brainfreeze

brainfreeze Member
    5+ Year Member

Pre-Dental
    I'm interviewing now and starting to get concerned as I find out about caps on Stafford, Perkins, HPLC, etc. I have no family support and will be relying 100% on loans to pay for all of this. Is anyone out there in the same situation (borrowing the full amount including living expenses)? I'd like to know how you manage it. Is it common for students to drop out because of difficulty coming up with the $$? Not to get ahead of myself, but, if I get the loans, is it reasonable to think I can pay them back without having to live in a cardboard box?

2. divertete

divertete Member
    10+ Year Member

Dentist
    Almost everyone I've talked to in my class has had to take out the full loan amount. Most people are in-state, but still. Sure we'll have a lot of debt when we get out, but we'll be making a decent salary too. Maybe you'll have to put off that big car purchase right away, but from what I've heard it's not a huge deal to pay it back. I have not heard of ANYONE dropping out because of finances. Don't let finances worry you too much at this point, just focus on getting in! :thumbup:

3. DDSSlave

DDSSlave Senior Member
    5+ Year Member

Most people I know are 100% dependant on loans. Don't lose sleep over it. Try you hardest to get into an affordable dental school, take out your fed loans, and just concentrate on getting a good job when the time comes.

4. aphistis

Moderator Emeritus 10+ Year Member

Attending Physician, Dentist
    Lots of people.

Not common at all. There's plenty of loan money out there if you want it.

Very reasonable since, going back to the first question, there are plenty of dentists doing the same thing but still living very handsome lifestyles.

5. kopirhyte

kopirhyte New Member

just wondering, how much does dentistry cost down in the states for the full 4 years for tuition+kits+books?
    i think its costing me about $80-90k cad up here in canada...