Paying for Dental School w/o Parents Help

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

PrivatePractice5

Reaction score
Hello everyone,

I was wondering if it is possible to pay for your dental school education without any help from your parents or private loans. During undergrad, my parents let me use their information on my fafsa in order to take out $4,000 worth of parent plus loans and they just informed me that they aren't willing to let me use their information this time on my fafsa in order to take out the graduate plus loan which would cover majority of my dental education. When I submitted my fafsa this time around for dental school I only used my information. Will there be enough federal/need based aid available for me to pay for everything with just my information once my student aid report comes back in a few months? Also, private loans are not an option for me since I do not have a long credit history established or anyone willing to cosign potentially 6 figures of student debt.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
There will be enough aid. Most students don't get help from the rents.

There is no such thing as need-based aid in dental school (or any professional school for that matter). Every student at your school will be awarded a same maximum amount in loans which will be enough to cover tuition, fees and cost of living. You don’t need your parents’ information on Fafsa.

Members don't see this ad :)
There is no such thing as need-based aid in dental school (or any professional school for that matter). Every student at your school will be awarded a same maximum amount in loans which will be enough to cover tuition, fees and cost of living. You don’t need your parents’ information on Fafsa.

So I won't need the grad plus loan or private loans?

So I won't need the grad plus loan or private loans?

No you won't. Throughout dental school you'll be offered private loans from company's such as 'Commonbond' that will have a lower interest rate than your basic FAFSA loan. These can be tempting; however, you won't be able to qualify for a lot of the subsidized government programs like PAYE and REPAYE when you come out, so I would recommend against them.

For federal graduate loans, I believe you only get Direct Stafford loans (unsubsidized) and then Grad PLUS loans (no parent PLUS loans anymore). Parental info is usually required by the dental school to see what kinds of university aid (grants/scholarships/university loans) you are eligible for - you'd just miss out on those. You'd still get enough Direct/Grad PLUS loans up to the COA as determined by your school. I'd really try and see if they'd let you use their information, since you could get "free" money in scholarships/grants and also lower interest/subsidized loans from your dental school if you do put their info in, lowering your overall debt load.

Hope that helps! Good luck

You will need your parents' information to apply for Health Profession Student Loan