Paying for med school in the US for a Canadian

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Canuck

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

Would appreciate anyone's input on what financing options are available for Canadian citizens studying medicine in the US. Do you know of anyone who has gone through the process and/or are you going through the process? I hope that everyone is going well and look forward to your replies.

Sincerely,
Canuck

Members don't see this ad.

Although US medical students treat Canadian applicants as if they were US citizens for the purpose of ADMISSION, financial aid seems to be another matter. The largest sources of financial aid available to US medical students require that the applicant be a US citizen or have a green card. You are probably going to have to ask your question of each individual US medical school you are thinking of applying to. I can imagine that if you are a top-flight student and a medical school is anxious to recruit you, they may be able to find internal, non-public funds to support you.

A person you might ask your question of is Judith Libman, an advisor at York University in Toronto. I believe she may have some familiarity with the issue you raise.

416 736 2100 FAX: 416 736 5892

[email protected]