Paying for Med School

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

sickofwaiting1

10+ Year Member
Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.
Do you think it helps during the interview process to push the fact that med school will be paid for by family and not loans? I never really understand why they ask how you plan to pay for it - unless they are just trying to see if you know the costs of med education.

I've never pushed the fact that, pending I get in, I wouldn't need to take out any loans.

Anyone think schools care about that?

EMH

Hospitalist/Nocturnist Hologram
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I don't think they care where the money comes from, as long as they know you understand and are prepared to pay up.

NovemberWhiskey

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
What schools have asked that? In all my interviews I've never been asked anything remotely similar to "how are you going to pay for this"?

I'd assume it could only help you for places that are not need blind admissions.

Falco2525

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Do you think it helps during the interview process to push the fact that med school will be paid for by family and not loans? I never really understand why they ask how you plan to pay for it - unless they are just trying to see if you know the costs of med education.

I've never pushed the fact that, pending I get in, I wouldn't need to take out any loans.

Anyone think schools care about that?

i would not mention it...you would be almost instantly out of the running for scholarships

sickofwaiting1

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
What schools have asked that? In all my interviews I've never been asked anything remotely similar to "how are you going to pay for this"?

I'd assume it could only help you for places that are not need blind admissions.

Meharry asked me.