Paying for med school

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jspier1

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
How do most people pay for medical school. I plan on going to a state school where tuition is not too bad. However, I have seen some places that are 50k+ just for one year. And how much extra do most people take out to cover standard living costs (rent, food, gas, ect..)

Members don't see this ad.

I just met a female resident doctor who told me when everything was said and done, going to a private institution netted her 248k in debt. A buddy of mine attending an instate public institution told me he will leave with ~100k. A third friend who attended medical school through the military will leave with no debt but he signed his life away to the devil and had limited specialty options (Well at least he felt he did)

How do most people pay for medical school. I plan on going to a state school where tuition is not too bad. However, I have seen some places that are 50k+ just for one year. And how much extra do most people take out to cover standard living costs (rent, food, gas, ect..)

Loans. As little as possible.

Members don't see this ad :)
Most people take out Stafford/Grad Plus loans. Cost of living varies depending on how expensive it is to live in a certain area. Generally 15-20k.

Loans. As little as possible.

When its all said and done and I am 35-40 years old attending, am I really going to regret the extra 2-3k in loans I took out each year to live comfortably as a 23yo having fun, access to some amenities and enjoying what little free time I have? In my opinion...NOPE!

When its all said and done and I am 35-40 years old attending, am I really going to regret the extra 2-3k in loans I took out each year to live comfortably as a 23yo having fun, access to some amenities and enjoying what little free time I have? In my opinion...NOPE!

Ultimately, that extra $8k in loans will cost closer to $17k (with a 4 year residency and 10 year repayment plan). It really depends on what makes one comfortable. My tastes are not too expensive, and I am averse to bad debt.

Ultimately, that extra $8k in loans will cost closer to $17k (with a 4 year residency and 10 year repayment plan). It really depends on what makes one comfortable. My tastes are not too expensive, and I am averse to bad debt.

Yes, I took that into account. And when you're paying that off long term, thats a minimal addition to the payments. My tastes aren't expensive either, I just don't believe in saving every last dollar. You're only young once!

Your only in your 20s once. You will never be able to go out and party again. God forbid you have a midlife crisis and wish you lived a bit when you were younger.

Part loans, but mostly my husband who is going through law school right now and will be helping to pay my tuition, when I eventually get to med school, with his :xf:massive lawyer's salary:xf: