Paying for Medical School

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

bigdreamer#1

I'm ok, your ok!!!
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi, long time reader of SDN, first time to post a question for discussion. I'm curious, does anyone have any information concerning "Americorps" as a means to paying for medical school?

As my is my understanding, Americorp offers a similar scholarship that the Military does. Meaning that they will pay for your medical school education in return for a certain number of years of service after completing schooling. Anyone know if this is true for sure and where I could find out more specifics? Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

I'm not sure; I've never heard of it. Try the Americorps website; if it exists, any information about it should be there.

Members don't see this ad :)
Yes, there is a web site for this....hmmm. But I was unable to find information pertaining to paying for medical school. They do offer programs for graduate studies, so I guess that's along the same lines. I guess I am looking to hear from anyone who is planning on financing medical school similar to the military scholarship route (they pay for your school, and in return you serve in medical corp for x amount of years). I'm curious if there's something similar to that, where med school is paid by a third party as agreement to work for them as a doctor. Basically i'm looking for any option other than a hefty traditional loan to pay back? Thanks again, any information or discussion is helpful to me!

Check with your state health department about "forgivable loan" programs. I know that here in Missouri, if you agree to work in an underserved area for four years following residency, they will pay up to $25,000 a year for four years of medical school. Currently all but three Missouri counties qualifiy as underserved. I think it also works out that you choose where your going to serve your pay back years. Hope this helps!

Is anyone doing the underserved/primary care loan forgiveness program? I'd be interested in hearing the details. How much do they pay you when you are serving in an underserved area? What's the "catch"?

Go to the financial aid forum. There is a link on it the will put you thru to the website. Also the osteopathic forum has some threads on it. Do a search for NHSC. I read everything I could find and basically you go to the list of underserved jobs offered that are called NHSC Opportunity List. You apply for the job, get the job and then apply for the loan repayment. It is $25,000 per year of service for the first two years that you work in the underserved clinic, etc. and then the payment changes. I couldn't quite tell but it looks like after the second year you get a total of an additional $35,000 but I don't know how long you have to work to get that.

The scholarship pays for your tuition and gives you a stipend and then you must apply for and work in one of the scholarship job openings. BEWARE there are not as many openings for scholarship jobs are there are for loan repayment options.