Paying for Pharm school

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

HighSpeed

Cool Nursing
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
For the people in Pharm school right now or that have been through it how did you pay for it. Did you just get a loan to cover your living and college expenses, get a scholarship, work parttime, or was it a combination of some, or all 3. Which way is the best way. Wanted to get some opinions from the inside. Holla

Members don't see this ad.

Scholarships (at least at my school, so I can't speak for everyone) are either nonexistant or insignificant. I, and just about everyone I know, am borrowing my tuition and a large chunk of my living expenses from the government. The rest, I get from working as an intern for a retail pharmacy. (You might as well count on doing this, as you have to work X number of hours as an intern before your state will license you upon graduation... check with your state board for specifics.)

Also... check with the financial aid people at your school. Sometimes schools and groups offer lower-than-the-government-rate interest loans. Some people who work for retail chains are offered "scholarships" to attend pharmacy school if they will agree to work X number of years for that chain upon graduation. If you are DEAD SET on working for that chain, then go for it. If you don't meet that obligation, however, the "scholarship" turns into a loan with a ridiculously high interest rate. I didn't go for it for the simple reason that I don't want to be obligated to any one thing when I'm finished with school. Hope that helps. GOOD LUCK!

Matt

Colleges and pharmacy schools are businesses that know that their product is of no value if people can't afford it so they will ensure that you have plenty of money to attend school. The government provides a large amount and if more is needed then private sources are around.

With the salary that pharmacists are making and the demand for them, obtaining loans is not difficult at all. And like was said earlier, chains that offer internships also offer some type of scholarship/loan program. Some of them can be good.....