Paying for prescription drugs in school - chronic illness (diabetes)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Plankton

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I know this is pretty variable, but what have the medical/prescription plans your school has provided looked like?

I'm currently an RN, can probably swing two 12 hour shifts a week in school if I have to for drug coverage, but I'm looking at alternatives.

Insulin pump supplies, insulin, test strips, etc. get ridiculously expensive fast. I've always been in great control, and don't want to lose it just to save money...but otherwise all the cash I've saved up to live on and for school costs could depreciate pretty fast.

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

I know this is pretty variable, but what have the medical/prescription plans your school has provided looked like?

I'm currently an RN, can probably swing two 12 hour shifts a week in school if I have to for drug coverage, but I'm looking at alternatives.

Insulin pump supplies, insulin, test strips, etc. get ridiculously expensive fast. I've always been in great control, and don't want to lose it just to save money...but otherwise all the cash I've saved up to live on and for school costs could depreciate pretty fast.

Thanks!

The plans most commonly associated with graduate and professional programs are geared towards healthy, young adults. Most plans have basic coverage, with some disaster coverage. It will not be on the level that you require.

We had a recent graduate (one year ahead of me) that was a DM I with an insulin pump. She had an additional coverage plan, a husband, and a second job to pay for everything. I feel your pain - it's good that you are planning for this now.

My school's insurandce only covered $2500 a year in prescription expenses.

Members don't see this ad :)
I find it somewhat ironic that the field I want to go into is also the same area that I'll be spending most of my money for/in school on potentially. I might have to have a "Green Card" marriage just to pay for diabetes supplies. :)

At least I'm a diabetes educator right now...I can always beg for handouts from all the reps/connections I have if I have to. :oops:

What a world we live in. The above illustrates just one way our system is so broken. Hope no one here is the young healthy adult that during pharmacy school finds out they have a terrible disease. What a shame and a mess. Here buy this pseudo insurance that is good for the occasional cold. Ridiculous.

What a world we live in. The above illustrates just one way our system is so broken. Hope no one here is the young healthy adult that during pharmacy school finds out they have a terrible disease. What a shame and a mess. Here buy this pseudo insurance that is good for the occasional cold. Ridiculous.

It is what it is... I'm not sure I follow your line of reasoning. Plankton is obviously aware of the cost associated with his/her condition. He/she is taking proactive steps to ensure all of the bills are covered. If everyone of us was just as proactive and accountable, our current system would work fine.

Healthcare is a complex problem, such that pointing a finger at one or two issues ignores so many more. As a healthcare professional not involved in politics/lobbying, my goal is to make do with the system we currently have.

work the extra shifts if you can. As a RN, you can start to look at your patients with a pharmacy outlook as well. You'll be a better caregiver now, and a better pharmacist in the long run.

Pharmacy school and work can go together. You just have to prioritize and manage your time.