Paying for vet school: your monthly loan payment after graduation

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
For Calgary, living expenses are $10,000 per year which I estimated from the other Canadian schools since I couldn't find an official estimate of any kind. Resident tuition is $11,610. Calgary does not accept non-residents.
So yes, at $6,800 per year for four years plus inflation, living expenses will account for almost $30k. FYI PEI has the highest living expenses of any of the Canadian schools. Guelph is $14,000, Montreal $9,600 and Saskatoon $9,481, I estimated Calgary at $10,000.
Do you think Calgary is too low, PEI too high? In order to change either I really would like some documentation to point to when people ask where the figures come from. What can I use for that?

Members don't see this ad.

I totally agree with this. I considered my IS for a long time. After working with grads from both MSU and my IS, visiting both, and comparing curriculum (non-tracking vs tracking), I decided not apply to my IS. Both schools are great, but I feel like I will be more comfortable staying at my undergrad school where I know a lot of professors, classmates, and staff.

I think that means that you *don't* agree.

Which is fine.

But my official stance, for the record: choosing a school that is significantly more expensive because you think it is a better fit is, in my opinion, a poor decision. No matter how you look at it. You can tell me all you want that you never would have been happy at cheap school, but I don't buy it.

It's like I want to be a snot and say, okay, tell me how that extra $100k debt feels in 10 years. Does it feel as bad as those 4 years would have?

But, whatever - y'all are adults now and can make your own decisions. And there's nuffin I can do about it besides voice an opinion and move along. So that's what I'll do.

PSILT, none of this is supposed to be directed at you in particular aside from pointing out that our viewpoints are different on the matter. No snark aimed at you, I promise.

When I see people going to some of the expensive OOS schools, I'm just like :eek:, I couldn't imagine paying an extra 20-30,000 a year to go to school OOS.

My point is we all have choices, and yes we'll all be in the hole in the end, but how deep the hole is depends on your choices.

Sigh...it's times like these when I wish I had an IS school...

Members don't see this ad :)
I think that means that you *don't* agree.

Which is fine.

But my official stance, for the record: choosing a school that is significantly more expensive because you think it is a better fit is, in my opinion, a poor decision. No matter how you look at it. You can tell me all you want that you never would have been happy at cheap school, but I don't buy it.

It's like I want to be a snot and say, okay, tell me how that extra $100k debt feels in 10 years. Does it feel as bad as those 4 years would have?

But, whatever - y'all are adults now and can make your own decisions. And there's nuffin I can do about it besides voice an opinion and move along. So that's what I'll do.

PSILT, none of this is supposed to be directed at you in particular aside from pointing out that our viewpoints are different on the matter. No snark aimed at you, I promise.
None taken. :) I may have been a little out of it this morning still from last night's activities and now I see how contradicting my post was....
I have talked to my parents about it, and my Dad may pay for my entire tuition. I know not everyone has this opportunity. My parents are awesome and have supported and paid for all of their kids' educations. (Sisters have bachelors and masters.) I am very blessed, and hope that one day I can repay my parents, maybe not in the means of money transactions, but in other ways.

My IS is a few thousand less than here - 29/30K IS vs 34K OOS.. (or I could have been considered instate at Tufts for the next application cycle, to the tune of 40K tuition IS. ) But, what I'm saving in living expenses/car insurance/etc more than makes up that difference. I'd say I'm about even overall, OK may be 1-2K less over 4 years (Big whoop!). Main reason I chose this school rather than some of the others that I really liked. Money talks! Oh yeah, and OOS schools wanted me, whereas my IS did not!

Nothing wrong with picking what you want if money really isn't an issue. Likewise, if you get no love from your IS and don't feel like trying again or changing residency or whatnot... Well, you do what you can. Those sorts of decisions go back the whole 'you are an adult' thing.

For Calgary, living expenses are $10,000 per year which I estimated from the other Canadian schools since I couldn't find an official estimate of any kind. Resident tuition is $11,610. Calgary does not accept non-residents.
So yes, at $6,800 per year for four years plus inflation, living expenses will account for almost $30k. FYI PEI has the highest living expenses of any of the Canadian schools. Guelph is $14,000, Montreal $9,600 and Saskatoon $9,481, I estimated Calgary at $10,000.
Do you think Calgary is too low, PEI too high? In order to change either I really would like some documentation to point to when people ask where the figures come from. What can I use for that?

Avg Price of Apts for rent, 2011:
http://www.canadaimmigrants.com/Charlottetownhousingmarket.asp
Bach Studio - $434 One Bedroom - $605

Avg Two-story house: $234,300

http://www.canadaimmigrants.com/Calgaryhousingmarket.asp
Bach Studio - $705 One Bedroom - $899

Avg 2-Story house: $414,700

Source = CMHC

In practice, UPEI campus "residence" is overpriced so everyone lives off-campus but very close-by, where there is an abundance of cheap housing. Most classmates are paying between 300-450 rent, although its up around 600 if you want your own apartment.
There's no way the difference you quote is made up by rent.
I don't see how it could come from food costs..
No chance it would come from Transport, since Charlottetown is tiny and buses are free to us.
Yes the provincial sales tax is higher, but most necessities are exempt from PST.

As for which figure is off, cal or pei:
Probably both figures are off, but i don't know how the figures are created so I couldn't say for sure.
All I know is that my own projected expenses for my 4 years are less than 80k, and i'm not exactly living like a poor person (though I don't have a car, nor do i need one at all in this town)
Then when you factor in federal and provincial government student loans grants which most canadian students get, and money earned during full-time summer break, my debt is projected at around 50k. I know your figures are for COA and not expected debt, but just figured i'd throw that out there
This is with no external financial help.

I understand you want to keep your figures consistent, and i appreciate the fact that you've made this chart in the first place. But I could only come near that number if I bought a new car in year one and ate take-out for every meal

Last edited:
Sigh...it's times like these when I wish I had an IS school...

Even though you don't have an IS, you still have some choices that can save you a ton of money. There are several schools that allow you to get IS status after the first year, and you have been accepted to two of those schools :thumbup:. It is possible to gain IS status after the first year at Ohio, Missouri, North Carolina, Washington, California, and Minnesota. So, that's quite a few options right there. Then there is Wisconsin, can't beat their OOS tuition cost! You've been accepted to Missouri and Ohio. I do believe if you choose Missouri you might even complete at a slightly lower tuition cost than I will have as IS at OSU. OSU is expensive for that first year as OOS, but you will most likely get a $10,000 scholarship to help cover the difference and then will pay the IS price after first year. Yes, you'll end up paying more than most who go to IS schools, but not as much as if you choose say Penn or Michigan where you pay the expensive OOS tuition all 4 years.

You're in luck.
This is the guy I was talking about Dr. John Tait
and HERE is a link to a slideshow with audio that he gave at an AAHA conference in 2009 :)
skip to around 20-25 mins when he starts to talk, although the first speaker isnt bad either.
The one problem with this talk is that he uses a debt figure of 100k in his example, which for most is way too small. But he still stuck to his argument when talking about higher debt numbers too when he spoke here.

Someone should link this talk in every finance-related thread on this forum :cool:
But as I said about when I saw him speak, I personally was unconvinced.

Wow, thanks a lot for sharing. Although yea I'm not convinced either. It started off great and I thought he was really going to thrash things out. He talked about proven statistics and models that show the Return on Investment (ROI) for the DVM to be great, he even defines the terms of a financial model for calculating the ROI -- but then he never presents any data. He says the 'pure financial return' is 7-9% per year, but what does this even mean? He has that career horizon shaded graph thing, but not really sure what the point of that is either. He's basically just saying the income gain you get from going DVM relative to BS is larger than the total opportunity cost of vet school and the forfeited salary during vet school years. Income gain relative to the BS guy isn't really the issue though. Later on he starts talking about wealth accumulation -- this is what's important. How do you accumulate wealth for retirement, a house, a family, etc when, yea, your income gain is great relative to the BS guy, but almost half of it is going out to loan payments and interest every month. How do you get out from underneath the debt. Show me the data that says that's no problem, that the DVM is affordable in the long-run.

By the way the example of Liz is kind of ridiculous. He's like here's Liz, she got her DVM and wanted to start a familiy, but she graduated with 200K in debt. No problem, we just consolidated to a longer term and went with a lower interest carrier, we scaled things to income, we moved part of it to a credit facility, and we did a partial deferral. No biggie, I do it all the time.

That's great but I don't want to have to hire a professional financial consultant after vet school before I start a family.

Even though I have an IS, mine doesn't give me a huge break financially. Feel like I'm screwed either way unless I get into Wisconsin, which is highly unlikely...

yea... Tufts + Penn IS tuition are like the biggest disappointments of all time, esp if you consider the whole cost of attendance.

Hi all, there are some great posts here though I am surprised that when I searched student loan debt, the second thread that popped up was 3 years old! In case anyone else searches the topic, I wanted to add some (hopefully useful) insight from someone 7 years out of vet school. I think I ended up borrowing about 250K for vet school alone. I did an internship so that principal went up for year just from interest. I have been working for the same company since the internship. Made about $25 K for an intern salary in 2008. Started working at 60K and now at a little over 90.

My loan payments started about 6 months after I finished my internship. The monthly payments were about 2200. I was taking home about 800 per week. Since then, I have applied for IBR, have gone into forbearance several times and had some life changes.

My principal has gone up to about 282 K because I cant even cover the interest payments with about 1000 monthly payments. I paid over 25K just in intersest to student loans last year. I have talked to CPAs and financial advisers with a lot of experience. I am currently looking at bankruptcy options.

My loan interest rates vary but range between 4 - 9% private and federal.

Everyone has different situations and variables but there are stories all over VIN that are similar and I have not found a way out. I am sharing because I wish someone had given me THOSE numbers 10 years ago.

Reactions: 2 users
One thing I wished I'd known so that I could make better calculations beforehand is capitalization.

So we all know interest accrues while we're in school. For each loan you take out, you start accruing interest the day it's cashed out to you. What I didn't know was that huge amount (6.8%, 7.8%, and 5.4%!) of interest that you accumulate over 4 years + 6 months of grace period gets capitalized onto your principal when you go into repayment. So an astronomical principal then gets an even bigger boost. It's like merry f***** Christmas! Ugh...

Members don't see this ad :)
One thing I wished I'd known so that I could make better calculations beforehand is capitalization.

So we all know interest accrues while we're in school. For each loan you take out, you start accruing interest the day it's cashed out to you. What I didn't know was that huge amount (6.8%, 7.8%, and 5.4%!) of interest that you accumulate over 4 years + 6 months of grace period gets capitalized onto your principal when you go into repayment. So an astronomical principal then gets an even bigger boost. It's like merry f***** Christmas! Ugh...

yeah I also did not realize how astronomically my principal would jump after capitalization. That was a rude wake up call.

Like, how much more did y'all owe after that? I'd try to math but that usually doesn't work out.

So I have not been on SDN since pre-vet times and I check back every once in a while. I totally forgot my username (fail) so I made a new one! I am a fourth year and just now going through the finishing stages of everything. I just accepted a job in small animal private practice. I also JUST did all my loan stuff and the interest is crazy. In total I took out 97,000 dollars and my interest that has accrued is around 14,000 dollars. Hope that helps!

So I have not been on SDN since pre-vet times and I check back every once in a while. I totally forgot my username (fail) so I made a new one! I am a fourth year and just now going through the finishing stages of everything. I just accepted a job in small animal private practice. I also JUST did all my loan stuff and the interest is crazy. In total I took out 97,000 dollars and my interest that has accrued is around 14,000 dollars. Hope that helps!

Ew.

Hi all, there are some great posts here though I am surprised that when I searched student loan debt, the second thread that popped up was 3 years old! In case anyone else searches the topic, I wanted to add some (hopefully useful) insight from someone 7 years out of vet school. I think I ended up borrowing about 250K for vet school alone. I did an internship so that principal went up for year just from interest. I have been working for the same company since the internship. Made about $25 K for an intern salary in 2008. Started working at 60K and now at a little over 90.

My loan payments started about 6 months after I finished my internship. The monthly payments were about 2200. I was taking home about 800 per week. Since then, I have applied for IBR, have gone into forbearance several times and had some life changes.

My principal has gone up to about 282 K because I cant even cover the interest payments with about 1000 monthly payments. I paid over 25K just in intersest to student loans last year. I have talked to CPAs and financial advisers with a lot of experience. I am currently looking at bankruptcy options.

Everyone has different situations and variables but there are stories all over VIN that are similar and I have not found a way out. I am sharing because I wish someone had given me THOSE numbers 10 years ago.
I'm curious as to your living situation at the moment, or even when you were an intern. Personally, I'm hoping to get an internship and residency near my parents so rent will be 0, which will help a ton. I cook recipes exclusively from budgetbytes.com and eat out once a week at the most... or I eat ramen and cup of soup.
Did you not apply for IBR before starting your internship? Do you think that would have helped at all?
You say that you're looking into bankruptcy, but I didn't think that affected federal loans. Am I wrong?
I hope this doesn't seem overly nosy or rude! You just seem to be a person that was in a similar situation that I will be in when I graduate.

FWIW, Bankruptcy does not forgive student loans. that shiz sticks to you for life (or 30 years on before forgiveness which you still need to pay taxes on).

Like, how much more did y'all owe after that? I'd try to math but that usually doesn't work out.
You can log onto your loan servicer's page and see what you owe in interest so far now that you've taken out everything you'll take out for vet school. That is your current interest.

Then assuming you won't be paying anything until repayment, you can take the total principal for each interest rate percentage and calculate how much you'll accrue in addition to what your interest is now between now and repayment.

So say you have 50,000 at 6.8% and 50,000 at 5.4%, and you're graduating in 100 days, your repayment will be in 283 days.
That means:
50,000 x 6.8% x (283/365) = 2636
50,000 x 5.4% x (283/365) = 2093

So... $4700 or so in addition to the interest you've accrued already. Scary how much you accrue on a 100k loan in just an extra 9 months

Last edited:
One trick that helped me a ton, which may help for some of you graduating soon with cheaper IS tuition who qualify for taking out more than you needed to take out. It worked for me since I didn't need to take out any additional loans my last semester to cover tuition.

Now that interest rates are lower than when you started vet school, take out everything you can up to the full amount without going into grad plus. Then take that money at the lower 5.41% interest rate and pay your 6.8% loan. You'll have to pay that initial processing fee at a certain percentage, but overtime, you'll be saving. And that gives you money to pay back a portion of that interest before it capitalizes. I personally wouldn't dip into grad plus because the small savings you'll get in interest rate is probably not worth the initial service charge.

It doesn't help if you already took out that full amount, but if you haven't, it's worth looking into.

Reactions: 1 user
Okay. Well I'm under $100k so it should only be like $3k, which still stinks but isn't an arrow to the heart.

I think all my loans are taken out and done now, so I probably couldn't use them to pay anything now.

Okay. Well I'm under $100k so it should only be like $3k, which still stinks but isn't an arrow to the heart.

I think all my loans are taken out and done now, so I probably couldn't use them to pay anything now.

As in you took out the maximum you could? If not, you can take out additional loans. I took mine out in like April before graduation. But whatever, you lucky duck!

As in you took out the maximum you could? If not, you can take out additional loans. I took mine out in like April before graduation. But whatever, you lucky duck!

Oh, no - I probably have another... $10k I could take out. So you are saying take out the $3k to pay the capitalization? I guess I'm not sure I understand. I only ever take the amount to cover tuition flat-out, so that was like $18k or so this time.

Oh, no - I probably have another... $10k I could take out. So you are saying take out the $3k to pay the capitalization? I guess I'm not sure I understand. I only ever take the amount to cover tuition flat-out, so that was like $18k or so this time.

Yeah, take out that extra 10k at 5.41% and use that to pay some of the loans you have at 6.8% (specify that you don't want it to go towards your subsidized loans).

Essentially you'll have 10.4k more in loans at 5.41 percent, and like 10k less at 6.8%.

Don't worry about saving it to use for that extra 3k you'll gain after graduation because that's such a small amount you should be able to pay it and not accrue anything that will capitalize

I think she is saying take out that 10K now (it will be at 5.4% interest) and use it to pay off as much as you can on loans that were on higher interest.

I can take more out at 5.4%? I have some at 5.4%, some at 6.2%, some at 6.8% subsidized, and some unsubsidized. How do I know what % the additional bit would be - is that just what the rate is right now? Sorry, I just haven't paid as much attention as I should.

I can take more out at 5.4%? I have some at 5.4%, some at 6.2%, some at 6.8% subsidized, and some unsubsidized. How do I know what % the additional bit would be - is that just what the rate is right now? Sorry, I just haven't paid as much attention as I should.
Haha you're lucky you don't have 300k debt. Go talk to your fin aid office people and tell them you want to take as much out at 5.41% as possible and they can help you. Yeah, interest rates went down last year.

As long as you don't go into grad plus, the current rate is 5.41%

Speaking of accruing interest, the federal loan people were super mean to me recently and sent an email that said...

"Did you know you are gaining $xx (they put the actual amount) in interest every day?"

I then went and cried for a long time and ate some cookies.

Hmmm I wonder if rates went up this year again. I only know rates upto when I graduated.

"Interest rates on Federal Stafford Loans are fixed. The current interest rates for new Federal Stafford Loans in 2014-2015 are 4.66% for undergraduate students and 6.21% for graduate and professional students. Interest rates are the same for subsidized and unsubsidized Federal Stafford Loans."

So that's not much of a difference - I wonder if it would be worth it for 0.4% difference...

oh bummer, yeah i just saw that. It did go up again :(
at that point it might not worth it if your total amount isn't that high since there's like a 1% service fee to take out loans. If you owed a ton, then considering the 0.6% reduction in interest rate over 20-25 years is totally worth the initial 1%, but you have a manageable amount of debt.

http://www.staffordloan.com/stafford-loan-info/graduate-stafford-loan.php

oh bummer, yeah i just saw that. It did go up again :(
at that point it might not worth it if your total amount isn't that high since there's like a 1% service fee to take out loans. If you owed a ton, then considering the 0.6% reduction in interest rate over 20-25 years is totally worth the initial 1%, but you have a manageable amount of debt.

http://www.staffordloan.com/stafford-loan-info/graduate-stafford-loan.php

Okay.

Well, let it be known that I am fully aware of how lucky I am to only owe what I do.

Speaking of accruing interest, the federal loan people were super mean to me recently and sent an email that said...

"Did you know you are gaining $xx (they put the actual amount) in interest every day?"

I then went and cried for a long time and ate some cookies.

Just remember that the cookies you're eating now will cost even more over your lifetime! If they cost $5, then at 6.8% interest over 25 years they're really worth at least $8.5 ;)

Wow I literally was just googling for more info on the future after vet school. I come from a low income area and am also a first generation college student. While thinking about becoming a vet makes me soooo happy and excited, I would also love to give back to parents someday. 8/10 vets that I have talked to come from a more “privileged” background and even they say “DONT DO IT!” It’s crazy that there’s also a 1/4 suicide rate for vets in the U.S. it’s a tough career and every new vet I come across tells me the same thing. It’s not that their unhappy but most of them say “I wish someone would have told me how it actually is” and I would have pursued a different career. They feel burnt out. A lot of them say their first few years are really tough because the monthly payments come in quick and a lot of first year vets don’t make very much to have a life after. I am so torn on pursuing this field. I would love nothing more than to become a vet and I’m definitely open to more advice from anyone especially those who are also from low income areas and or minorities.

Wow I literally was just googling for more info on the future after vet school. I come from a low income area and am also a first generation college student. While thinking about becoming a vet makes me soooo happy and excited, I would also love to give back to parents someday. 8/10 vets that I have talked to come from a more “privileged” background and even they say “DONT DO IT!” It’s crazy that there’s also a 1/4 suicide rate for vets in the U.S. it’s a tough career and every new vet I come across tells me the same thing. It’s not that their unhappy but most of them say “I wish someone would have told me how it actually is” and I would have pursued a different career. They feel burnt out. A lot of them say their first few years are really tough because the monthly payments come in quick and a lot of first year vets don’t make very much to have a life after. I am so torn on pursuing this field. I would love nothing more than to become a vet and I’m definitely open to more advice from anyone especially those who are also from low income areas and or minorities.
I wish I had more time to respond to this post thoroughly but I gotta be at work in like 10 mins so I'll highlight some key points. In your other post you said your GPA was below 3.0. What was your last 45? As an overall trend those with gpas below 3.0 don't have a great chance of getting in. It happens but not alot. Do you have the prereqs done already? If you continue to pursue this field you're probably going to have to go back to school to be competitive which is more money. I'm a first gen. I've worked part time since I was 16. I lived at home for undergrad. Through that I've been able to save most of my money earned and so I have enough that I won't have to take out 2 years worth of loans. It helps and I'm super thankful that I have what I do but it's not enough. The reality is yes debt is way worse than you can probably anticipate especially if you have to end up going back to school before applying plus and outstanding loans you may have. The mental health is a huge aspect. Others here will shed more light on all of that. My biggest question for you is why do you want to do vet med? Seriously think about this question. Do some soul searching on why you think this field is for you. Vet med is doable but at what price is it worth it to you? Be ready for some real discussion going forward as there's a reason 8/10 don't recommend.

Reactions: 1 users
I guess you could describe my background as relatively "low income". I spent the better part of my childhood on food stamps and all that jazz, and I've had to work since I was 15-16 years old and all through undergrad, as well, because my family literally couldn't afford to contribute anything. Even with what I made working, I had to finance the majority of my undergrad and all of my vet school on loans. I attended vet school for just under two years and then left. You can guarantee that I'm still paying off that debt even though I didn't finish. You're talking about what you'll be dealing with after you graduate vet school, which is fair, but also consider what happens if you get in, start vet school, and then leave or fail out; you're still stuck with that five- or even six-figure debtload without a DVM. This is something that doesn't get talked about much because, I assume, attrition rates are still pretty low at most vet schools. But (and this is anecdotal, mind) I am increasingly hearing about more and more vet students who end up leaving for a variety of reasons, and one of the largest motivating factors appears to be financial. Unfortunately, even without undergrad debt and even leaving in the first semester, depending on the particular school you're attending and whether you are IS vs. OOS, you could still potentially have a significant amount in loans that you have to pay back.

Let me put it this way: I am $107k in debt. ~$35k of that came from undergrad and the rest is all from three semesters worth of vet school. I attended my cheapest option for school and was considered IS. My salary is $33k, meaning that I have a debt:income ratio of nearly 4:1. If I were doing the standard 10-year repayment, my monthly loan payment would literally be ~80% of my take-home pay. Needless to say, that's not practical (especially as a single person without a supplemental income from a partner or parent), so I'm basically banking on PAYE right now. My payments there are only ~$150/month, which is much more doable... but then there's that massive tax payment at the end and I have no earthly idea how I am going to be able to save up enough for that. I guess I'll cross that bridge when I come to it, but I'm stuck making no real progress on repayment doing income-based plans because I can't afford any other option right now.

The majority of recently graduated veterinarians are in the same exact boat: little to no family contribution to education, single, with a debt:income ratio of 2:1 or higher. The difference is that they at least have a DVM and that the numbers are even more extreme.

Also, I would think that another large reason that freshly minted DVMs burn out is because, well, especially in general private practice situations, you may be largely on your own much of the time. By that I mean that you may be the only doctor on duty or, in some cases, the only doctor at that practice, period. When you're constantly juggling the responsibility of a life in your hands and all of the stress associated with that, as well as the stress of dealing with sometimes less-than-amiable clients, with what feels like no reasonable outlet... I can only imagine that that accumulates and can cause bad burnout over time. Especially when you take into consideration that they are not compensated well for the gravity of the work when our counterparts in other health professions at least have that going for them. Mental health issues abound in the veterinary profession and I think that a lot of veterinarians feel trapped; they may decide after school that they hate the field and want to leave, but leaving for another line of work often requires a hit in pay and, possibly, more education and loans... and, man, they've got a lot on their plate to deal with and potentially hundreds of thousands to pay back already. Who in their right mind would take out even more money?

It's a difficult spot to be in. You put what feels like a significant amount of money towards loan payments and then, after all of your other various expenses, have very little left at the end of the month to play with and live life like a normal functioning adult. I know of veterinarians who can't get approved for a car loan or a mortgage, even without good credit scores, because the debt:income ratio is that skewed. I know of veterinarians putting off major life milestones essentially indefinitely because they can't afford them. Yet, despite everything you've put into it, there is absolutely no headway being made towards actually paying it off because much of the time you're just barely touching the interest---not even the principal. You literally may not be able to afford payments which would actually make a dent in that principal and so have to rely on income-based plans that don't even begin to scratch away at it. It makes you begin to seriously question if it was all worth it.

I would never discourage someone entirely from pursuing a career that they're interested in, but shadow as many different practices as you can, ask good questions of the doctors regarding vet school and loans and what they deal with, and make damn sure that it is what you really want. Even then, think about it some more. Honestly, if you have any doubts at all, I wouldn't do it or would at the very least hold out for a couple of years to explore other options and then maybe come back to it later. I really think that the future of the profession in this country is in jeopardy unless something changes drastically.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 2 users
It’s crazy that there’s also a 1/4 suicide rate for vets in the U.S.
I think you're mistaken.......the suicide rate is higher for vets than the statistical average (i.e. vets are more likely to commit suicide than those in other jobs), but not 1/4. In the US, 1 in 6 have had suicidal thoughts at one time, but that's not the number of suicide attempts or successful suicides. In the UK, studies have shown the suicide rate is twice that of other health care professionals, and 4 times that of the general public.

most of them say “I wish someone would have told me how it actually is” and I would have pursued a different career.
One of the important parts of deciding whether or not to go to vet school is shadowing vets to actually see what their work life is like......not just getting a job in a clinic to clean kennels or do laundry, but actually observing what a vet does on a daily basis and taking a few minutes to actually talk to working vets about what they like and don't like about their jobs.

I would never have taken on a debt load like most US vet students, who end up being over $200,000 in debt. I really enjoy being a vet (graduated in 2000), but to me, it just wouldn't be worth how that would affect my life for the next several decades.

Reactions: 1 users
This isn't related to the current topic, but I was wondering about people paying interest during school. How often are you paying on the interest? I have some money saved for living and I'm thinking of using some of it to pay off interest, but I'm not sure how often I should pay towards it. I was thinking of doing it monthly, if I can afford it.

This isn't related to the current topic, but I was wondering about people paying interest during school. How often are you paying on the interest? I have some money saved for living and I'm thinking of using some of it to pay off interest, but I'm not sure how often I should pay towards it. I was thinking of doing it monthly, if I can afford it.

As far as I know, it's better for you to keep that money to use as living expenses and take out less in loans than to try to pay on the loans as you go. The only time I can think it would be worth paying would be if you would be able to consistently pay principal.

Reactions: 4 users
As far as I know, it's better for you to keep that money to use as living expenses and take out less in loans than to try to pay on the loans as you go. The only time I can think it would be worth paying would be if you would be able to consistently pay principal.

Thank you! Right now, I'm only taking loans out for tuition and have enough saved to cover living expenses for most of the next two years. I paid for the interest during last school year, but now I won't anymore lol I've heard so many different opinions on this but since I'm getting low on savings I'll probably hold off on paying anymore of the interest unless I get more money from somewhere :dead:

Thank you! Right now, I'm only taking loans out for tuition and have enough saved to cover living expenses for most of the next two years. I paid for the interest during last school year, but now I won't anymore lol I've heard so many different opinions on this but since I'm getting low on savings I'll probably hold off on paying anymore of the interest unless I get more money from somewhere :dead:
Check out this thread, they might talk about it:
https://forums.studentdoctor.net/index.php?threads/1155233/

I’m not sure if anyone knows the answer to this, I’ve been trying to find this out online but have been unsuccessful. If you do the Public Service Forgiveness program do you have to pay taxes on the full amount after the remainder of your debt is forgiven after 10 years and 120 payments? I’m highly considering pursuing something like pathology and working for a public institution so I would be eligible for this. A veterinarian at my diagnostic lab is doing this program but I haven’t had a chance to ask her about the taxes at the end.

I’m not sure if anyone knows the answer to this, I’ve been trying to find this out online but have been unsuccessful. If you do the Public Service Forgiveness program do you have to pay taxes on the full amount after the remainder of your debt is forgiven after 10 years and 120 payments? I’m highly considering pursuing something like pathology and working for a public institution so I would be eligible for this. A veterinarian at my diagnostic lab is doing this program but I haven’t had a chance to ask her about the taxes at the end.
No. Whatever remainder is forgiven under PSLF, provided that you've been doing your part and consulting yearly to ensure that your employer still qualifies and that you're on track, is not considered taxable income. Once it's forgiven, you're done. No tax payment required.

Although... I know that there has been some talk about the current administration cutting back or placing restrictions on who exactly qualifies for the program, so I don't know that it is necessarily wise to absolutely rely on it being an option.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 3 users

No. Whatever remainder is forgiven under PSLF, provided that you've been doing your part and consulting yearly to ensure that your employer still qualifies and that you're on track, is not considered taxable income. Once it's forgiven, you're done.

Although... I know that there has been some talk about the current administration cutting back on the program, so I don't know that it is necessarily wise to absolutely rely on it being an option.

PSLF forgiveness is not taxed. There's been talk for years about cutting back on the program but from my understanding if you have loans already (when the program existed in its current form) they'll have to offer it as an option (since it was offered as an option when you took the loans). My other understanding is that there are tons of public service lawyers banking on the program so if they decide to stop it or change it for people who have already borrowed with the expectation of being able to use the program there will be lawsuits up the wazoo to protect it. That's all just conjecture though.

One thing I have noticed that has changed since the first people have been cashing in on the program is that they've changed the verbage on what qualifies as a "public service" job. I think its mostly semantics but basically it's not just government or non-profit, now they want you to say exactly how the job is a public service job. It makes me a little nervous in that they might try to disinclude some careers because it's not an obvious public service job. I would look on the studentaid website and read more about it and download their employee certification form to see what I'm talking about.

Reactions: 3 users