• Advice You're Thankful for Contest

Now that it's getting close to Thanksgiving, we're running a contest to hear advice you've received that you're most thankful for! This can be any type of advice and the advice with the most reactions will win!

JOIN CONTEST

paying rent/mortgage

ixitixl

Step 1 studysaurus
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Dec 9, 2003
Chicago, IL
  1. Medical Student
    I am heading to medical school this fall entirely on loans, which includes about 1200 USD for living expenses from which I am supposed to pay rent. I noticed that mortgage payments for a cheap place actually comes out to less than rent. Is anyone in a similar financial situation as me doing mortgage payments instead of rent?

Andrew_Doan

Doc, Author, Entrepreneur
    Moderator Emeritus
    Lifetime Donor
    Verified Expert
    15+ Year Member
    Oct 1, 2002
    San Diego, CA
    www.facebook.com
    1. Attending Physician
      With the interest rates down, it may not be a bad investment to buy a place that you can resell in 4 years. Keep in mind that mortgage payments may be cheaper, there are also more indirect costs with keeping up a home, e.g. property taxes, fixing the sink, keeping up the yard, etc...

You can rent the place out to other medical students and live there for FREE. ;)

About the Ads
      This thread is more than 17 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
      2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
      3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
      4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
      5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
      6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
      7. This thread is locked.