PBL help

Discussion in 'Medical Students - MD' started by rachmoninov3, May 11, 2008.

1. rachmoninov3

rachmoninov3 Senior Member

Attending Physician
    This is not a PBL rant, but rather I'm in need of advice. It's the end of my first year, and the med school is pushing my class harder as far as PBLs go. Before the tutor's would make us go through the case, but by the end we'd always have a diagnosis to go to Harrison's with. Now, there's no definitive diagnosis, and we're left with researching all of our differentials...once we even looked up the wrong diagnosis (SCLC instead of NSCLC!)

OK, so overcoming all this uncertainty is what will make us good doctors, I can see that. HOWEVER, IT'S VERY TIME CONSUMING!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Does anyone have a quicker way of doing this than going through every single differential?

any advice is appreciated.

2. Thread continues after this sponsor message. SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. soeagerun2or

soeagerun2or Banned
    Banned

Narrow the ddx based on positive and negative findings, create a rank order list of possibilities based on the findings and assess relative likelihood.

Unfortunately PBL is not based on reality so it probably is lupus this time.

4. ZagDoc

ZagDoc Ears, Noses, and Throats

Resident [Any Field]
    Buy a ink cartridge and print the crap out of UpToDate. I've found it to be much more efficient in pursuing DDx's than Harrisons. Maybe not as thorough on the mechanism of pathology, but much more thorough on the clinical presentation and sensitivity/specificity of the according tests.

The one medically-relevant fact to come out of House. It's always lupus!

5. Depakote

Depakote Pediatric Anesthesiologist
    Rocket Scientist Physician Moderator Emeritus Lifetime Donor Classifieds Approved

Attending Physician
    I thought the whole point was to learn **** along the way. It doesn't really matter if you get the right diagnosis in PBL, just that you actually look up and read about every damn thing you come across. Thus the horrible inefficiency that is problem based learning.

6. bcat85

Resident [Any Field]