PBL Schools

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

supertherapiss

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
how has PBL schools prepared you for the USMLE? are PBL schools as good as they say? i'm applying to med schools this year and have found in my research that i would do better in a PBL school.

Members don't see this ad.

Traditionally, students in a PBL curriculum do WORSE than those in didactic curriculums on Step 1 but slightly BETTER on Step 2. By the time Step 3 rolls around, the differences are minimal.

My PBL program did not prepare me well for Step 1 but I did rather well on Step 2, due to the highly clinical nature of the program from day 1. Regardless of the curriculum, you can do well by studying on your own and working as hard as you need to to do well.

thanks kimberli. how is the PBL program at penn state u in comparison to the other PBL programs. did you apply to any other PBL programs and find any differences?

Originally posted by supertherapiss:
•thanks kimberli. how is the PBL program at penn state u in comparison to the other PBL programs. did you apply to any other PBL programs and find any differences?•

Sorry - just here for residency, didn't go to Penn State for medical school. :D