PBL Schools

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

prmdbeach17

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
What are some schools that use PBL?

Members don't see this ad.

all schools (most) use PBL to some extent (whether great or small)

drexel is one school that offers an entirely pbl curriculum.

Yeah I figured schools use it at least a little...I mean which ones have more PBL than lecture because I saw in one thread a deciding factor for some is if the school is mostly PBL or not. Also do most students like it more? Thanks:)

Members don't see this ad :)
SIU is entirely PBL, but it's kinda misleading because they have "supplemental lectures" that are optional, but flush out the info you're suppose to learn.

Cornell is know for it

The M.S./M.D. UCB/UCSF JMP is entirely PBL during the preclinical years.

I heard Harvard was switching and moving away from PBL
Really? On interview day, the students we met really tried to sell us on PBL. I don't remember any one mentioning significant curriculum changes, at least not for next year.

What are some schools that use PBL?
My school (CCLCM) uses PBL. We spend about 1/3 of our contact hours in PBL sessions. The rest of the time, we have seminars and clinical skills or clinic.

Really? On interview day, the students we met really tried to sell us on PBL. I don't remember any one mentioning significant curriculum changes, at least not for next year.

It's not that much from what my student host told me. 4-6hr / week which is pretty reasonable IMHO.

UConn and Rochester also use PBL

UNM is very PBL heavy (3 times a week).

I didn't apply there, but I had heard this from other med students in the Boston area. I don't know if it's actually happening or when, but that is what I heard...

I don't know of any school heavier on PBL than Mercer. The curriculum is 90 - 100% PBL I was told on their interview.

I didn't apply there, but I had heard this from other med students in the Boston area. I don't know if it's actually happening or when, but that is what I heard...

The new curriculum is already in place. This year's current MS1 class is the first to go through it. The curriculum is fundamentally the same as it was before, with PBL and self-learning being important aspects. The only major changes are that they added courses in Social Medicine, an overview course called Intro to the Profession, and fixed the clinical clerkships at one site (whereas you used to rotate between hospitals for different clerkships). Also, their pathophysiology year is now organized more or less by organ system. I would also downplay the amount that PBL is important to the New Pathways curriculum. Independent/Self-learning has been and continues to be a major part of the program and very much defines the New Pathways curriculum.

More info:

http://focus.hms.harvard.edu/2006/042106/meded_reform_intro.shtml

In Hawai'i, there's John A. Burns School of Medicine.