ICCONFETTI

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Oct 6, 2006
Status (Visible)
  1. Resident [Any Field]
all schools (most) use PBL to some extent (whether great or small)

drexel is one school that offers an entirely pbl curriculum.

prmdbeach17

10+ Year Member
Dec 22, 2006
Status (Visible)
  1. Pre-Medical
Yeah I figured schools use it at least a little...I mean which ones have more PBL than lecture because I saw in one thread a deciding factor for some is if the school is mostly PBL or not. Also do most students like it more? Thanks:)

About the Ads

WCGee

Super Awesome Person
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Aug 15, 2006
Status (Visible)
  1. Medical Student
SIU is entirely PBL, but it's kinda misleading because they have "supplemental lectures" that are optional, but flush out the info you're suppose to learn.

ms2007plz

10+ Year Member
Nov 6, 2006
Status (Visible)
  1. Pre-Medical
The M.S./M.D. UCB/UCSF JMP is entirely PBL during the preclinical years.

omegaxx

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
May 20, 2006
Boston, MA
Status (Visible)
  1. Resident [Any Field]
Really? On interview day, the students we met really tried to sell us on PBL. I don't remember any one mentioning significant curriculum changes, at least not for next year.

It's not that much from what my student host told me. 4-6hr / week which is pretty reasonable IMHO.

MChitty

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Feb 9, 2007
Boston
Status (Visible)
  1. Medical Student
Really? On interview day, the students we met really tried to sell us on PBL. I don't remember any one mentioning significant curriculum changes, at least not for next year.

I didn't apply there, but I had heard this from other med students in the Boston area. I don't know if it's actually happening or when, but that is what I heard...

Zippership

the Burninator
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Dec 18, 2006
Status (Visible)
  1. Resident [Any Field]
I didn't apply there, but I had heard this from other med students in the Boston area. I don't know if it's actually happening or when, but that is what I heard...

The new curriculum is already in place. This year's current MS1 class is the first to go through it. The curriculum is fundamentally the same as it was before, with PBL and self-learning being important aspects. The only major changes are that they added courses in Social Medicine, an overview course called Intro to the Profession, and fixed the clinical clerkships at one site (whereas you used to rotate between hospitals for different clerkships). Also, their pathophysiology year is now organized more or less by organ system. I would also downplay the amount that PBL is important to the New Pathways curriculum. Independent/Self-learning has been and continues to be a major part of the program and very much defines the New Pathways curriculum.

More info:

http://focus.hms.harvard.edu/2006/042106/meded_reform_intro.shtml

About the Ads
This thread is more than 14 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
  2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
  5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
  6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  7. This thread is locked.