PBL vs. Traditional Books vs. more Books

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DigDog

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
PBL vs. Traditional

Not to be a slacker… but do you need fewer textbooks in PBL program? Looking at some booklists fro traditional programs it seems like there are a lot of them and that they are big books! Moore for Anatomy 1200 + pages etc.

Members don't see this ad.

depending on your style, you can definitely get away with not buying all the books on the list for a traditional curriculum. i mostly stick with the syllabus/lecture notes my school gives us and a few short and sweet textbooks. talk to people in the class above you before you buy any books, and find out what people really need and use. you can also look on amazon for ideas for more concise texts. you can usually take out the big books from the library if you are really confused about a particular topic. this has worked out great for me. i am not a slacker - extensive reading just isn't the way i learn best, so i don't bother with it.

at my school we have a trad curc and i dont have to buy any books. the professors make all the notes available at the book store. you might want to ask students at the school if they have to buy the books or not. on another note, having done some PBL, i was disappointed with it. i really thought id like to do PBL but it just seems like an inefficient way of learning material.

It depends on your study habits. At my school we get all the power points at the begining of the theme. I study those notes and have probably read less than 50 pages from a book in a whole year of medical school and I am doing just fine. I do go to every lecture though. Some of my classmates never go to lecture and just read books.