pAkhtmAn

pAkht mEmbEr
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Jul 30, 2002
Tampa, FL
Visit site
Status
What is Problem-Based Learning (aka PBL)? What is the difference between that and a traditional curriculum? and finally, what are the advantages/disadvantages of a PBL curriculum?

Thanks

imtiaz

i cant translate stupid
Moderator Emeritus
15+ Year Member
Jul 26, 2000
New York, NY
www.uirockford.com
Status
  1. Attending Physician
from what i understand PBL is just that: problem based. you gather in small groups and are presented with a case (ie. a 53 yo caucasian male presents with x, y and z complaints. so and so tests give positive results, while so and do tests give negative results, etc.) and you must do your own research as a group to figure out what's going wrong, and by doing that you learn how stuff works.

traditional is the standard lectures, etc.

personally i prefer traditional. maybe someone knows more about PBL and traditional and they'll post more info.

lola

Bovine Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Mar 22, 2002
california
Visit site
Status
pbl advantages: solve more like you would in a work setting, get perspectives you might not get if you only studied alone, see the body as a system, more fun, easier to be engaged in subjectmatter

pbl disadvantages: group work can be extremely ineffective at times, one weak/noncooperative team member can really bring the whole group down, still need to have time to learn the basics on your own so will have to spend a lot of time doing that outside of class

at least that's how i see it. i'm applying for the first time this year. hopefully when i interview i will get a better feeling of how it works and whether or not people like it. right now i'm thinking i'd like to go to a school with some pbl but not a lot of it.

This thread is more than 18 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
  2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
  5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
  6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  7. This thread is locked.
About the Ads