1. Dismiss Notice
  2. Download free Tapatalk for iPhone or Tapatalk for Android for your phone and follow the SDN forums with push notifications.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

PBL vs. Traditional

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - MD' started by pAkhtmAn, Jul 31, 2002.

1. pAkhtmAn

pAkhtmAn pAkht mEmbEr
    7+ Year Member

What is Problem-Based Learning (aka PBL)? What is the difference between that and a traditional curriculum? and finally, what are the advantages/disadvantages of a PBL curriculum?

Thanks

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. imtiaz

imtiaz i cant translate stupid
    Moderator Emeritus 10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    from what i understand PBL is just that: problem based. you gather in small groups and are presented with a case (ie. a 53 yo caucasian male presents with x, y and z complaints. so and so tests give positive results, while so and do tests give negative results, etc.) and you must do your own research as a group to figure out what's going wrong, and by doing that you learn how stuff works.

traditional is the standard lectures, etc.

personally i prefer traditional. maybe someone knows more about PBL and traditional and they'll post more info.

4. lola

lola Bovine Member
    7+ Year Member

pbl advantages: solve more like you would in a work setting, get perspectives you might not get if you only studied alone, see the body as a system, more fun, easier to be engaged in subjectmatter

pbl disadvantages: group work can be extremely ineffective at times, one weak/noncooperative team member can really bring the whole group down, still need to have time to learn the basics on your own so will have to spend a lot of time doing that outside of class

at least that's how i see it. i'm applying for the first time this year. hopefully when i interview i will get a better feeling of how it works and whether or not people like it. right now i'm thinking i'd like to go to a school with some pbl but not a lot of it.

5. abu barney

abu barney resident revolutionary
    10+ Year Member

ayy pakhtman, you're a fool, don't you know what PBL is?

<slap>!