PCAT >70 How did you think you did before you got your results?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

tharper14

P1.5
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
For those smarties out there that got a PCAT composite >70, how did you think you had done right after the exam? I did it today and I'm not feeling over confident about my results, but I don't think I crashed and burned either... Did you all think, yeah, I aced it!

Members don't see this ad.

The first time I took it, I left crying - I thought I bombed the math and chem sections. I actually did quite well on the math (95) and got a 69 on the chem.

The second time I was more familiar with the test and was pretty sure I had done well. I got a 99 :)

This is my first time taking it, so yeah.... I wish I took orgo II and genetics b/c I had to guess blindly on those questions. And I already know I missed one of them.:mad: As for my score, I have no idea. We'll see in march when we receive it in the mail.

The waiting game begins....

Btw, this is a question for everyone. How long did you guys study for this pcat?? And if this is your second/third time taking it, add that amount in for the total.

I studied for about 3 good weeks over winter break.:sleep:

Members don't see this ad :)
Thought I did very poorly first time -- 87
Second time was shaky at best -- 93

If you thought a particular section was incredibly hard, then that is probably good news as your score will scaled up more than someone who got an easier version.

First and second times I studied about 1 week each. This time about 3 days.

Thought I did very poorly first time -- 87
Second time was shaky at best -- 93

If you thought a particular section was incredibly hard, then that is probably good news as your score will scaled up more than someone who got an easier version.

First and second times I studied about 1 week each. This time about 3 days.

First off let me say to the mods that if I am breaking the rules by posting this here it was not intentional, just let me know and I will edit this post.

Let me say this is good to hear,I felt that I did horrible this time in my chem part, this was my second time taking it,and this time it seemed harder. Hopefully Iscored above a 70 so that I can get in this year
------------

Different forms of any test may vary somewhat in difficulty. Because of the differences
in difficulty between different forms of the PCAT, the same raw scores (number of test
items answered correctly) obtained for the five multiple-choice subtests on different test
forms are not necessarily equivalent. Using the statistical process of equating, it is possible
to express scores in comparable terms across different forms of the test. Scaled
scores are used for this purpose. The scaled scores reported for the five PCAT multiplechoice
subtests range from 200 to 600, with a median of 400 (i.e., a scaled score of 400
corresponds to the 50th percentile).
In addition to the multiple-choice subtest scaled scores, your personal Score Report will
list five subtest percentiles and a Composite percentile. The percentile score shown on
your personal Score Report indicates the percentage of PCAT examinees that made up
the norm group—all first-time examinees that took the test between October 1998 and
March 2003—with scaled scores lower than yours. No percentile is reported for the
Writing subtest.
Scores for the Writing subtest range from

For those smarties out there that got a PCAT composite >70, how did you think you had done right after the exam? I did it today and I'm not feeling over confident about my results, but I don't think I crashed and burned either... Did you all think, yeah, I aced it!

From what I've heard from talking with my fellow classmates, in general, the ones who thought the PCAT was a breeze are the ones who generally get the 97-99's on their PCATs. The ones who didn't think it was overly easy or difficult usually get scores between 80 to 95. Those who honestly thought it was difficult and struggled with it tend to be the ones who get sub-70 scores.

As for me, I studied two weeks, two hours a day, and got a 99 across the board on my first try.

From what I've heard from talking with my fellow classmates, in general, the ones who thought the PCAT was a breeze are the ones who generally get the 97-99's on their PCATs. The ones who didn't think it was overly easy or difficult usually get scores between 80 to 95. Those who honestly thought it was difficult and struggled with it tend to be the ones who get sub-70 scores.

As for me, I studied two weeks, two hours a day, and got a 99 across the board on my first try.

I thought it was easy, but still fell that I did bad, I think I over studied. I studied for a month straight from the Kaplan Book. Learned equations and how to do electrochemistry, thermochemistry, etc lol but none of that was on the test, the one thing that was on there alot was what I didnt study, O chem, go figure!!

Just to be the exception, I'll post here. I thought I did horrendous, and I did pretty well. If the test is extremely hard, I consider that a positive because it is based on a percentage.

Just to be the exception, I'll post here. I thought I did horrendous, and I did pretty well. If the test is extremely hard, I consider that a positive because it is based on a percentage.

Thats good I do fell that my test this time was harder than the one I took in Oct,and I didnt study in Oct.So maybe there is hope

It is kind of weird but I felt that I did pretty good on the non-science portions of the test. I studied two hours a day over break as this was my first time taking it. I thought the test was difficult and I struggled but overall I am optismistic.

That's what I thought... that is, the ones who get >90 are the ones who thought it was a breeze. I certainly didn't think it was a breeze but I didn't struggle either, so I'm cautiously optimistic at the moment. I'm happy with anything >70, estatic with >80.

I admit, I didn't study as much as I should have... maybe 30 hrs total over a few days... but I feel as though studying doesn't do much good anyway, unless you know the stuff inside out. I felt as though we are being tested on how well we can think under pressure...

For all those that say there was a lot of organic, I didn't think there was too much, maybe 5 questions, at least on the one I took... definitely nothing from organic II. I think my problem with the PCAT was that I hadn't taken Bio II, or Gen Chem II... and that's what studied, but 3 days of cramming 16 wks worth of stuff is not enough to really know it inside out :(

Thanks for all the responses guys!!! Makes me feel a little better about how I did...

when i took it i thought i did ok i prayed to get over an 80 so that means i didnt think it was a breeze nor easy but i got my score and whatd u know it was a 95 :D

when i took it i thought i did ok i prayed to get over an 80 so that means i didnt think it was a breeze nor easy but i got my score and whatd u know it was a 95 :D

That's awesome... I'm just hoping for >70, but hopefully I'll get more :D

yer, thanx guys, i felt so bad after the test.... i know there is hope...lets await march for graciously good results

I agree. I already know I missed some easy one in the chem, bio, and math b/c I have't taken those classes yet. gah.:confused: I hope I still gotten over an 80.

I took the PCAT in October for the first time after taking the Kaplan study course. I am a recent graduate so I took organic/inorganic and calculus 4 years ago and needed a refresher. The Kaplan course was pretty good; the best part was the 3 practice exams. I scored <70 on the first two and >80 on the final. My overall goal was to score a composite around 80. I felt that this was a reachable goal since I could do very well on Biology, Writing, Reading Comp, and Verbal. I knew I would not do so well on Chem and Math since I took the courses so long ago.

Test day: I felt I performed as well on my Kaplan final (the >80 score). The chem was what I expected (hard) and the math was extremely difficult. I felt that I did well on the other sections (verbal was my strongest, followed by Bio). Overall, I felt that I may have scored an 80 composite.

Scores Arrive: Well, I was very close to the 80s composite goal... 78. I did not score below a 60 on any section, which made me very happy. The ONLY section score that I was upset about was the verbal score (78). On all 3 Kaplan exams, I scored >90. If my verbal score on the actual PCAT had been 80-90, I would have met my goal or even exceeded it.

Assessment: I decided not to take the January PCAT because I work full time and have to take some more prereqs. I feel that if I had more time and studied chem and math some more, I could def. improve my score. However, I feel that I have good stats to outshine my "average but competitive" PCAT score.

Just remember, the PCAT score is not the most important aspect of your application. It shows aptitude and understanding, but it cannot show professionalism, experience, and work ethic.

I only took it once and I thought I completely bombed. When I got my scores, I starting dancing around singing "I got an 88, I got an 88". My son thought it was pretty funny. Good luck- you probably did better than you think!

I only took it once and I thought I completely bombed. When I got my scores, I starting dancing around singing "I got an 88, I got an 88". My son thought it was pretty funny. Good luck- you probably did better than you think!

Thanks... I'm hoping! Congrats by the way...