1. Dismiss Notice
  2. Download free Tapatalk for iPhone or Tapatalk for Android for your phone and follow the SDN forums with push notifications.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

PCAT and PharmCAS Questions

Discussion in 'Pre-Pharmacy' started by hartatucf, Sep 7, 2014.

1. hartatucf

Pre-Pharmacy
    Two questions...

PCAT, my school of choice states a minimum of 50, however they usually accept 70-99. My composite was an 82 but I'm worried about my RC being below 50 and my Chem and QA being below 70. I haven't read on their website any specific scores per subtest, so should I just assume they're looking for composite scores? It was such a relief to get a score competitive enough and it would be wonderful to NOT have to go through that stress all over!

PharmCAS... I entered my 8 years of tech experience in the "work" section and I don't feel like I have any legitimate "extracurricular" activities. I'm currently working full time, 7 years out of college with two kids. What kind of stuff are they wanting? Non-pharmacy related? I started up a little photography business for a few years, but I'm just not thinking that's relevant at all. I wasn't in any academic clubs or organizations in college so I really am not sure what to put here.

Hoping to get my PharmCAS application all ready to submit by the end of October, so any help would be greatly appreciated!

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. Oversea

2+ Year Member

I have the same situation with you on pcat score. I got 81 composite but very low verbal(15) and reading(17).
    Some schools look at every sub scores, but some schools only look for chemistry and quantitive. My suggestion is that u should call school, give them your score and ask them if they will look at every sub scores.

oldstock likes this.
  4. oldstock

oldstock Membership Revoked
    Removed

It sounds like that minimum PCAT of 50 is for composite score. But your best bet is to call the school to ask if they require a minimum in each sub sections on the PCAT.

I do not know how many schools you are applying. But I keep telling people that it is better to apply broadly and to a lot of schools and later have more choices to choose from than aiming for a few schools and got limited choices or no choice at all.

EC means philanthropic activities like volunteering/shadowing and/or involvement in your local community or school. Since you have already had experience in the pharmacy as a tech for 8 years, you have more than enough pharmacy experience. So you either have to go with what you got there (which is none) or take a class in a CC or university in your area and get involved. Or you can go volunteering at health clinic or a hospital. However, depending on your schools' deadlines for application, you might or might not have enough time to do the 2nd option as it is almost October now.

In summary, your PCAT is 82 which is good and a bit above the low end score of their acceptance range, you got a good working pharmacy experience as a tech for 8 years but you do not have any EC and might or might not have enough time to get any for this application cycle. Your pharmacy school choice sounds like a very competitive one, so your chance of acceptance might not be certain (I do not know the rest of your credentials/application). So again, I would recommend you to apply broadly and to a lot of schools to maximize your chance of getting in. GL :)

5. Oversea

2+ Year Member

You are right!
    don't give up! Just start applying to as many schools as u can. U have pharm tech experience which is a good factor. I have none.
    Try to volunteer a few hours at hospice if u want to have something to put on you EC. The process only takes about 2 weeks.

oldstock likes this.
  6. hartatucf

Pre-Pharmacy
    I'm currently taking an online Biochem course as part of the pre-reqs, but even that doesn't allow for any EC. I volunteered in a hospital over 10 years ago, but my actual work experience is pretty expansive. 7 years inpatient mixing IV's, chemo, neonate and TPN's and 1 year working an outpatient DoD pharmacy in Germany (which I was also awarded a medal for my time there). I guess I could put that during my time as an Army wife I was involved with the FRG's for my husband's units... that at least shows being active in the community, right? Oh, and I guess my first year in college I was involved in student government... I guess I just need to think back a bit, even though it was 10 years ago doesn't mean it's not worth mentioning.

7. oldstock

Removed

you are right, mention everything that is there no mater how old if they are relevant to your application. If you could, a new EC would hurt nothing but help. Like @Oversea has said above, you could do it quick :)

Oversea likes this.
  8. Oversea

2+ Year Member

I dont have any pharmacy experience. I only shadowed a pharmacist 2 times for 4 hours total. Does anyone know if it will affect my chance of getting accepted to a pharmacy school?

9. oldstock

Removed

Depending on what schools you are applying to. Many do not care if you have or have not had any pharmacy-related experience. I think you could wait for a bit before asking for a LORs from that pharmacist that you are shadowing and you are good to go.

10. hartatucf

Pre-Pharmacy
    In all honesty I don't have time right now to volunteer. I'm working a 40-hour a week job, I have two 2-year olds and I'm taking an online biochem class after they go to sleep. I've got 4 entries in my EC area totaling over 5500 hours over 10 years or so. I guess I'll let my work experience fill in the rest.