PCAT general, inorganic Chemistry...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
M

Mandu08

Someone who recently took the PCAT,

How indepth is the general chemisty section? are there alot of formulas to be memorized?

Members don't see this ad.

+pissed+

I've been working extra on the gases and acids and bases!

For the most part all of the chemistry was very basic. All the chem math can be calculated in your head, or with a quick scribble on the test. So no exponents or anything crazy. Know equilibrium basics and what direction the reaction will go under different circumstances. Mole conversions, stoichiometry, colligative properties, simple kinetic principles, blah, blah, blah. No need to memorize any equations (except the ideal gas law) oh yeah always good to know dG = dH - TdS. Organic is simple reactions, nomenclature, functional groups, boiling pts/melting points. You could also do a search and find more stuff.

Members don't see this ad :)
I am guessing we don't get a periodic table,but do they give atomic weights or anything in the problem. sometimes i know exactly how to do something but I don't remember the molar mass.

I am guessing we don't get a periodic table,but do they give atomic weights or anything in the problem. sometimes i know exactly how to do something but I don't remember the molar mass.

Correct. You don't get a periodic table, and if the question requires for you to know the MW of a particular element it will be given.

Be familiar with alot of acid base stuff such as the three theories of acid/base and also how to do simple calculations such as pH, pKA, etc...

Just incase you needed a reminder, the three theories are Lewis, Henderson/haasalbach, and bronsted/lowrey.

The chemistry section isn't that hard, though I was surprised how much 2nd semester o-chem was there (aldol reactions, carboxylic acid reactions, etc.).

Good thing I just took 2nd semester o-chem again so it was totally fresh. I scored in the 95th percentile. :D

How much should I worry about being able to tell something by just looking at the rate constants and stuff like that? How hard are the questions in regards to caluclating PH?