PCAT - multiple attempts?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

iwannabpharmer

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
hi, had a quick question. i've heard from some students that taking the pcat numerous times may not be good on one's application. i think i have taken the exam about 4 times. one was for practice. i scored in the mid-80's. would i want to take it again?

Members don't see this ad.

I've taken the PCAT 5 times! Each time I've improved. This last time, my composite was 86. I'm very happy about my last score. I don't plan on taking it again.

You can take it as many times as you want and they will take the highest score. Don't take it again if you already scored in the 80's.

You can take it as many times as you want and they will take the highest score. Don't take it again if you already scored in the 80's.

Do all schools that require the PCAT take the highest score? I don't remember reading that anywhere but I may have just missed it.

Members don't see this ad :)
As far as I know, the schools that require PCAT will take the highest PCAT score. If you want to be sure, you can always contact the school and ask them directly.

Thanks...I too was wondering if I should retake it to raise my super low reading score (28:thumbdown: ) but didn't want to end up lowering my composite of 85.

I wouldn't bother retaking it if you have a composite of an 85 already. Some schools do look at all sections, but most schools only look with the composite score with the emphasis on the science sections. I wouldn't worry too much about it if I were you. I had a 28 on my reading section too. I even got in before my January PCAT was released. My composite score before that was a 59.