PCAT n Pharmacy School Q

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

pharmdude1

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Does anyone know if pharmacy schools look at the best pcat score available or all taken pcats? I live in IL...potential schools: university of illinois-chicago, chicago state, midwestern-downers grove, SIU. Thanks in advance.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
depends on the school. they may take the highest, the most recent, or average all taken. contact the schools in question.

thanks. Another Q:

I want to start pharmacy school in Fall 10 but it seems that i need to take couple classes next summer (2010). Will this fly with the pharm. schools? Will this put me at a disadvantage? Thanks in advance

Members don't see this ad :)
thanks. Another Q:

I want to start pharmacy school in Fall 10 but it seems that i need to take couple classes next summer (2010). Will this fly with the pharm. schools? Will this put me at a disadvantage? Thanks in advance

Depends on the school, but usually it shouldn't. The schools I applied for said you need to have completed all classes by mid August 2009 (School starts end of August). I know that some schools will not allow you to take class after the Spring semester.

For me, I was put at a huge disadvantage for 2008 because I was missing several pre-reqs (I think it was 6-7). I would have been able to finish it by the summer, but the admissions people thought I wouldn't make it/had a huge hole in my coursework. Each school website will tell you up to when they will let you take classes.

OP,
UIC will not let you take pre-reqs the summer before entering. All of your pre-reqs must be completed in the spring.

OP,
UIC will not let you take pre-reqs the summer before entering. All of your pre-reqs must be completed in the spring.

Does anybody know if chicago state, midwestern-chicago, and SIU lets you take pre-reqs in the summer before school begins in the fall? Thank you once again. :) (referring to summer '10 and fall 10.)

Last edited:
Hi pharmdude, your best bet would be to give them an email or call. THat way they know your name and that you are interested in their school.
Can you squeeze in your pre-reqs into spring 2010, or maybe take courses at another community college alongside your current schedule? It would be a terrible loss of an opportunity if you had to cut UIC from your list just because they dont take summer 2010 courses for fall 2010 admission.

You could also delay applying for one year. That would help ease your load and give you more time to enjoy the experience of college. you've got your whole life ahead of you to work. One year is not gonna make a difference.

let me give you a riddle,

whats the difference between the 70 year old pharmacist who's been working for 45 years vs. another 70 year old pharmacist who has worked for 44 years?

Virtually no difference, except the one who worked 45 years didnt get to enjoy his extra year of partying, studying abroad, and learning life lessons in college. AND, because he thought he was so smart getting one year's head start on work over his colleague, so he thought he could reward himself with a vacation trip to vegas, where he gambled and lost way more than one year's salary head-start.

The moral is, dont think youre doing yourself a favor by getting a one year head-start because it can be lost just like that, AND in the end when youre 70, it wont make much difference anyways. So go out and enjoy yourself. Dont worry about it!

youll be fine no matter what course you take,
Best of luck!

Hi pharmdude, your best bet would be to give them an email or call. THat way they know your name and that you are interested in their school.
Can you squeeze in your pre-reqs into spring 2010, or maybe take courses at another community college alongside your current schedule? It would be a terrible loss of an opportunity if you had to cut UIC from your list just because they dont take summer 2010 courses for fall 2010 admission.

You could also delay applying for one year. That would help ease your load and give you more time to enjoy the experience of college. you've got your whole life ahead of you to work. One year is not gonna make a difference.

let me give you a riddle,

whats the difference between the 70 year old pharmacist who's been working for 45 years vs. another 70 year old pharmacist who has worked for 44 years?

Virtually no difference, except the one who worked 45 years didnt get to enjoy his extra year of partying, studying abroad, and learning life lessons in college. AND, because he thought he was so smart getting one year's head start on work over his colleague, so he thought he could reward himself with a vacation trip to vegas, where he gambled and lost way more than one year's salary head-start.

The moral is, dont think youre doing yourself a favor by getting a one year head-start because it can be lost just like that, AND in the end when youre 70, it wont make much difference anyways. So go out and enjoy yourself. Dont worry about it!

youll be fine no matter what course you take,
Best of luck!

Hey, thanks! this really helped me get my thoughts straight....and it was a bit funny too. Thanks again. :)