PCAT Organic chemistry question

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Davss

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Does the pcat only cover first semester organic chem? Does it cover the specific reactions such as the ones dealing with carbonyls?

Members don't see this ad.

After taking the pcat in July, I feel as though only need to know the basic organic reactions such as : addition, eliminatin, substitution, esterification, saponification, hydrolysis, dehydration.

Agree'd I had taken ochem I and II but, in ochem II i didn't learn anything and I still did very well in the chemistry section with an 81%ile that coupled with the fact that I never took biochem and just guessed on those.

Members don't see this ad :)
Its good to take Ochem II because what ever you didnt learn the first time in ochem I is basically repeated in Ochem II which means you will get more comfortable with the material. and when studying for pcat orgo section would be much more easier. and you will do well in orgo portion of the pcat.

After taking the pcat in July, I feel as though only need to know the basic organic reactions such as : addition, eliminatin, substitution, esterification, saponification, hydrolysis, dehydration.
does the test ask you about IR, NMR, MS questions? those are a pain xP