ambientbaby

What am I doing?
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Mar 17, 2006
Status
Medical Student
I know almost nothing about different pharmacy schools admission standards. Is a 68% (408) competitive at any school? GPA=3.5. I would really appreciate any advice. I'm new to the Pharmacy forums.

Is there a nice central source of admission stats and pcat averages for various schools?

(Doing research for a friend.)

foodnetworkgirl

10+ Year Member
Aug 2, 2006
Status
Pre-Pharmacy
I also made a 68 composite and I have a GPA of 3.7. Granted, I took the PCAT before any anatomy and organic classes. I'm wondering how competitive that is as well.

RachGator

10+ Year Member
Apr 9, 2006
Status
Pre-Pharmacy
You want to try to be in the high 70s and more likely the 80s and 90s. Take the bio/a&p classes and practice on time and you should be good to go. Best of :luck: !

About the Ads

kvl1027

10+ Year Member
Jul 11, 2006
Tampa, FL
Status
Pharmacist
ambientbaby said:
I know almost nothing about different pharmacy schools admission standards. Is a 68% (408) competitive at any school? GPA=3.5. I would really appreciate any advice. I'm new to the Pharmacy forums.

Is there a nice central source of admission stats and pcat averages for various schools?

I would say you definitely should be in the 80's-90's to be competitive. Take it again you should be better prepared this next time having seen the material once already.

rxlynn

10+ Year Member
Nov 16, 2005
Atlanta, GA
Status
Pharmacy Student
ambientbaby said:

AACP has a website with info. on school averages.

OP
A

ambientbaby

What am I doing?
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Mar 17, 2006
Status
Medical Student
Thanks for the advice guys. So 68 is not competitive at any school? With med schools, there are some with lower admission stats. I assume it's the same with pharmacy schools.

rxlynn said:
AACP has a website with info. on school averages.

Foreseer

10+ Year Member
Jul 17, 2006
Status
Podiatry Student
it's hard to say, Since the PCAT is not as important for pharmacy schools' admission process as other health profession schools, but I think a 450 is what is considered average and you got a 408....so it's a little below average. I suggest you take it over again after you've taken the courses that would help you and aim for a 90%!

TennisBoy78

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Feb 1, 2006
Status
Pre-Pharmacy
ambientbaby said:
Thanks for the advice guys. So 68 is not competitive at any school? With med schools, there are some with lower admission stats. I assume it's the same with pharmacy schools.

It depends on the school, obviously. The schools in the Deep South (LA, MS, AL, but not GA and SC) have very lax PCAT requirements. The other day I was on the phone with Sanford in Birmingham. They told me a 40 percentile. 40? If that low, why even have a PCAT requirement, because it is not even average.

Also, many schools out west dont even require the PCAT. So I'd say there are a lot of options if you dont do well. Im in your shoes too (I have a 61), but my GPA is a 3.7. So look into alternate options.

rajan324

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Feb 28, 2006
New Jersey
Status
Pharmacy Student
450 is not average, it's the 99th percentile. Your scaled score is not a percent correct so 75% would not be average. 50th percentile is average. However, I would take the classes that you haven't taken yet (physiology...) and try to get in the upper 70s if not 80s.

Foreseer

10+ Year Member
Jul 17, 2006
Status
Podiatry Student
Sorry, you're right. I just confirmed that a 50% is a 400. I got confused in my last post and apologize. so 400 is average.

About the Ads