Pcat

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

GibbsDuhem

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am curious as to what a good PCAT score is?

Members don't see this ad.

Hi:
There are 5 sections on the PCAT with seperate scores out of a 100.

Verbal Ability
Biology
Reading Comprehension
Quantitative Ability
Chemistry

And then there is the composite score which is the total aveage. A good score would be 80 percent out of a 100

Hi:
I took the PCAT twice. the last one was in this OCT and I was not pleased with the scores in the reading, vocab. and the math parts. I am planning to take the test in Jan. How can I greatly improve my preformance in this sections since there isn't enough time left before the exam?
any advice will be greatly appreciated.
M.I.

Hi:

Perhaps I can help, I scored 86+ in those sections you mentioned, studied 3 days for it.

I made sure I knew the vocabulary given in the PCAT book. If you notice, the majority of the questions on the real exam is simliar to the ones given in the practice PCAT book the Psychological Corporation gave you.

I would recommend using kaplan or peterson PCAT prep book in the reading comprehension. You should read for comprehension, which will help you answer the questions easier.

As for math, it is basic practice. Do all the problems in the PCAT book as well as the other books mentioned above.
For the analogy part, if there was a word I did not know, I'd break up the word into pieces to see if there was a word I undrestood in that word. One of the tips given was to look at the beginning and ending of the word. If you took latin, it would help you a lot in understanding what those words meant.

The peterson book gives great tips in the verbal department.
The biology is pretty much straight forward memorization.

Good Luck.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi.

I took the PCAT twice, and the first time, I scored in the 60% for math. (Yikes!). I felt rushed and under-prepared for all those problems in what seemed to be too short of a time period.

The second time I took the exam - I scored in the 90% for math. How?

I practiced on speed. Re-aquaint yourself to those basic math techniques we did so many years ago. Get comfortable seeing those numbers and getting right to business.

Much luck to you.
-Nocsag56

bump for cozmosis

Originally posted by Cozmosis
There aren't that many PCAT posts here yet. Maybe soon.

Try the search function and type in PCAT. You'll find there are several PCAT posts.

Also, you might want to change "from last 30 days" to "from the beginning" also at the bottom of the screen. :)

Originally posted by lovilla
bump for cozmosis

Try the search function and type in PCAT. You'll find there are several PCAT posts.

Also, you might want to change "from last 30 days" to "from the beginning" also at the bottom of the screen. :)

Heh, I know. I was just saying that there weren't enough to warrant its own forum.

Originally posted by Cozmosis
Heh, I know. I was just saying that there weren't enough to warrant its own forum.

oops! I didn't know you were talking about a PCAT forum. Sorry!

It has been my impression after many interviews and the entire application process that most schools stress the need for high verbal skills the most on the PCAT. Most schools use the PCAT as a reference to measure what you've learned in your pre-req years. Considering that most prereqs are science classes, the schools already know your biology and chemistry scores are going to be higher than verbal because you already know the material. The verbal section is different because it is a culmination of knowledge from practically grade one. They weigh this section more heavily than others because it defines the character of pharmacy. With pharmacist's consulting, advising, and prescribing, the need for effective written and verbal skills is invaluable.

One can easily score high on the biology and chemistry sections perhaps even without studying because the material is fresh in our minds, and even if we don't know remember specifics, we are still capable of solving those problems when we see them again.

Hope this helps.