PCC vs.CPC at OUCOM?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

futuredo32

20+ Year Member
Reaction score
For anyone who is going to Ohio University College of Osteopathic Medicine in the fall, did you apply for the PCC program?
Why or why not?
When I interviewed at OUCOM, I was really interested in the PCC program, but after my interviews, I am not so sure. The professors with whom I interviewed were so awesome and I began thinking that in the PCC program, I wouldn't have the opportunity to learn from many of the great instructors at OUCOM.
Thanks for any feedback and insight.

Members don't see this ad.

FutureDO,
As a third year OUCOM student, I am glad I did NOT participate in the PCC curriculum. Very few of them impressed me with their overall knowledge base. A fair number of the PCC students in my class did not pass the June COMLEX Step 1. In my opinion, the curriculum is so unstructured that it fosters a sense of complacency among the students. The students seemed to have too much free time and I don't think they used it wisely. I think one needs to be very disciplined to acquire a satisfactory education in this environment. On the other hand, I think one of the PCC students was one of the four students in my class to score in the 99th percentile.
Hope this helps somewhat.
Rad_one

I am attending OUCOM next fall. I chose to do CPC. Personally I like the stuctured class room setting. I think I would find it hard for me to do PCC as a student coming straight out of a small college where I am used to the classroom atmosphere. Also when I was down there I talked to a second year who said that she wasnt too impressed with the PCP just becuase of the COMPLEX passing rates. Just go with your gut feeling. 99 times out of 100, thats the best thing for you!

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm admitted into OUCOM this fall and will be under-going PCC. Im very attracted to the PCC program because it teaches you just as you'd see it on the boards.

Its more of an individual based cirriculum. If you're a group learner and self modivated. PCC is the way to go.

Let me know if you have any questions.

Originally posted by ZashJMJ
I'm admitted into OUCOM this fall and will be under-going PCC. Im very attracted to the PCC program because it teaches you just as you'd see it on the boards.

Uhhh....not exactly. The PCC class of 2004 had an almost 50% board FAILURE rate. Overall, the 2004 class's rate (CPC & PCC) was ~85%. Anyway, I hope our class did better (fingers crossed).

Listen, if you want the scoop on OUCOM, feel free to PM me. My thoughts about this curriculum (I'm in CPC) a fairly reflective of the marjority of my class. Let's put it this way, the CPC has a lot of holes in it...we didn't realize just how many until we started reviewing for boards.

Don't get me wrong, there are some postive aspects to this curriculum, but I believe they're outweighed by the negatives. Remember again, that I can only speak to the quality of the first two years here....I hear VERY positive things from the classes ahead of us...about the clinical years.

Anyway, PM me if you have questions.