PCCM Job Search Resources?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

fiznat

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello all,

The time has come in my training to start thinking about actually landing a job, but it seems to be more difficult than I had anticipated. I have been looking around the web and the offerings seem fairly meager. The postings are often old, contain almost no information, or read as a little scammy or are probably bot-posts from staffing agencies. To make matters worse I am hoping to work in an area that is geographically different from where I'm doing fellowship, so my contacts from training aren't that robust either. Surely there must be a better way to do this!

Any advice on how to navigate all this would be greatly appreciated!

Specific questions:

1. Specific web resources? I've seen the NEJM and CHEST listings, and a friend recommended Practice Link, but... see above

2. If I find a job I am interested in, best to respond via the listing or should I try and backdoor by finding the chairperson or director through the web?

3. Any way to learn more about a specific job before actually responding to a listing? Besides knowing someone who actually works there?

4. Cold calling practices/hospitals? Recommended or no?

5. Staffing agencies... should I let them have my info and run with it? Any downsides?

Thank you!

Members don't see this ad.

Cold calling is possible and if you're looking in a specific area I would definitely look into it...but put up resumes on practicelink, practicematch, doccafe, and healthecareers and you'll start getting more calls/emails from recruiters looking for PCCM people than you can handle. In fact many times you'll see listings directly from the institution that match up to ones recruiters are calling/emailing about and then you can just contact the institution itself. Bigger systems, aka Kaiser, tend to hire directly, so I would go to their website and see; they were hiring PCCM people for both WA and CO not too long ago.

Cold calling is possible and if you're looking in a specific area I would definitely look into it...but put up resumes on practicelink, practicematch, doccafe, and healthecareers and you'll start getting more calls/emails from recruiters looking for PCCM people than you can handle. In fact many times you'll see listings directly from the institution that match up to ones recruiters are calling/emailing about and then you can just contact the institution itself. Bigger systems, aka Kaiser, tend to hire directly, so I would go to their website and see; they were hiring PCCM people for both WA and CO not too long ago.
To reinforce a point from here—don’t ever use a third party recruiter if you can figure out the source of the listing and contact them directly. It cuts a huge cost out for the employer and will give the opportunity to take a piece of that for yourself.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Hello all,

The time has come in my training to start thinking about actually landing a job, but it seems to be more difficult than I had anticipated. I have been looking around the web and the offerings seem fairly meager. The postings are often old, contain almost no information, or read as a little scammy or are probably bot-posts from staffing agencies. To make matters worse I am hoping to work in an area that is geographically different from where I'm doing fellowship, so my contacts from training aren't that robust either. Surely there must be a better way to do this!

Any advice on how to navigate all this would be greatly appreciated!

Specific questions:

1. Specific web resources? I've seen the NEJM and CHEST listings, and a friend recommended Practice Link, but... see above

2. If I find a job I am interested in, best to respond via the listing or should I try and backdoor by finding the chairperson or director through the web?

3. Any way to learn more about a specific job before actually responding to a listing? Besides knowing someone who actually works there?

4. Cold calling practices/hospitals? Recommended or no?

5. Staffing agencies... should I let them have my info and run with it? Any downsides?

Thank you!
PracticeLink for a starting point for job listings - many private jobs and some academic jobs are advertised there - seem to fairly up to date IMO.

HERC for academic jobs or look at the specific institution's job openings.

Best to respond to listings but also email a contact if you have one, especially for academic jobs.

I'm not sure how you can find out more about a job other than talking to someone who works there.

Cold calling might work for academic jobs if you know the chairperson or know they are hiring - not sure about private jobs unless you have an 'in'

Haven't worked with a staffing agency.

Good luck! What part of the country are you hoping to work in?