PCI and WBRT for SCLC

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

firewicket

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Question for the group. Do you purposefully extend the PCI field/WBRT field for brain mets in SCLC to include the posterior orbits (almost like a CNS lymphoma). Or do you treat like a normal whole brain.

Members don't see this ad.

Question for the group. Do you purposefully extend the PCI field/WBRT field for brain mets in SCLC to include the posterior orbits (almost like a CNS lymphoma). Or do you treat like a normal whole brain.
Normal whole brain fields

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Normal whole brain.

Interestingly I cannot recall seeing a patient with SCLC and meningeosis carcinomatosa. I have seen it often in NSCLC (adeno) but not in SCLC.

Reactions: 1 user
also orbital or ocular mets with SCLC are not very common

I know you didn't say "choroid" but that's what I thought of. The choroid as a metatstatic disease site is rare. Most are actually breast cancers. Second most common is lung; and NSCLC is more to blame out of proportion to its incidence versus SCLC. So theoretically if you think of posterior eye coverage for SCLC PCI you'd need to think of it for NSCLC WBRT for NSCLC brain mets (and of course we don't). We all know the "sanctuary" status for the eye in CNS lymphoma. No one has reported that I don't believe for SCLC.

https://moffitt.org/File Library/Ma...ials/Cancer Control Journal/v5n4/article4.pdf
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/22732948

NRG CC-003 analyzing hippocampal avoidance for SCLC limits the CTV to the brain parenchyma, for what that's worth

NRG CC-003 analyzing hippocampal avoidance for SCLC limits the CTV to the brain parenchyma, for what that's worth

Wow, really!? Next we will be sparing the hippocampus for GBM's.

Reactions: 2 users
It's a race with insurance companies that NRG will never win :)

Wow, really!? Next we will be sparing the hippocampus for GBM's.
actually, some people think the gbm starts out in the subvenrticular zone or possibly hippocampus where supposedly the stem cells reside