PCO Class of 2014

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

LemondVersaille

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello all. I was hoping to get to know a few of you before August. I too have decided that PCO is the best fit for me. I will be new to the Philadelphia area as I am sure some of you are too. Those of you who live in the Philly area feel free to chime in here as well!

I was hoping that we could use this thread to bounce questions off of each other in our preparations for this upcoming school year. I'm looking forward to meeting everyone in person come fall but for now this will have to do.:):D:):D

Members don't see this ad.

I think I've made the final decision to go to PCO but after looking at the financial aid packet it looks almost impossible to afford housing. Am I wrong or could some one tell how they mange to find a decent place to live while not living with zero income. If anyone could reply with their personal experience or let me know how you've managed. it would be appreciated.

Philadelphia has such a high cost of living, I really don't think you will pay much less than $500 per month anywhere in the area. I could be wrong though.

Like you I would also live by myself but I find it hard to find anything for less than 800. Will you be recieving any help from family or is all of this being paid for through financial aid.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey!

Thanks for starting this thread Lemondversaille, great idea! I just got my acceptance into PCO today so am super exited and happy. However I am a little concerned about Philidelphia. I am from Canada and my first time being in U.S. ever was a day ago when I had my interview there. I found the city to be very sketchy, however maybe U.S. cities are just quite different than Canadian ones. For those of you who live there or know a bit about the city, is it pretty safe?

Also, does anyone know the names of the apartment complexes that are close to the campus? I saw a few but forgot to note them down. Any help is appreciated!

See u guys soon =)

I will be going to PCO in the fall too! I'm so excited! I interviewed there in December and I absolutely fell in love with it.

Like one of the posters above, I'm a little lost regarding the housing options near the school (and I'm Canadian too!!). From what I've read (mostly from this forum), I think Wyncote is a good option. I'm not interested in the Colonade apartment (the one that's right across the street from the school) because I've heard bad things about that place. The only negative thing I've heard about Wyncote is that most of the residents are old...haha. Does anyone have any more insight into this?

Also, I'm leaning toward sharing a 2bedroom apartment because I'll feel safer and not too lonely. Anyone looking for a female roommate? When does the PCO roommate match open?

Thanks! Can't wait to meet you all!

I will be going to PCO in the fall too! I'm so excited! I interviewed there in December and I absolutely fell in love with it.

Like one of the posters above, I'm a little lost regarding the housing options near the school (and I'm Canadian too!!). From what I've read (mostly from this forum), I think Wyncote is a good option. I'm not interested in the Colonade apartment (the one that's right across the street from the school) because I've heard bad things about that place. The only negative thing I've heard about Wyncote is that most of the residents are old...haha. Does anyone have any more insight into this?

Also, I'm leaning toward sharing a 2bedroom apartment because I'll feel safer and not too lonely. Anyone looking for a female roommate? When does the PCO roommate match open?

Thanks! Can't wait to meet you all!

What part of Canada are you from? I'm also considering sharing an apt for the same reasons you mentioned. I heard Colonade is a quite affordable place.

PCO is a great school. The proffs and students are very friendly and both are willing to help you if you ask. Congrats to you guys who decided to come here, you will be very happy with your choice.

Many native people in the area are not that friendly. They are especially rude/aggressive drivers. Keep in mind that I am comparing it here to Pittsburgh, where people are generally friendly, and the city is MUCH MUCH safer overall.

Having said that the clinic is not in a section that is unsafe. It is in a lower income neighborhood, but the patients that come in are great. You will get to see alot of pathology in there from day 1.

It is possible to pay less than $500 mnth in rent but you will need to rent a house with roomates. Thats what some friends of mine do, and they pay a little over $400 and live only a 5 min drive to school.

I'm from Toronto. You?

Do most PCO students have a car? Is it easy to get around without a car? How's the public transportation around the school? Is the neighbourhood easy to navigate? Are there grocery stores, restaurants, bars and shopping places nearby?

I'm from Toronto. You?

Do most PCO students have a car? Is it easy to get around without a car? How's the public transportation around the school? Is the neighbourhood easy to navigate? Are there grocery stores, restaurants, bars and shopping places nearby?

Im from Pennsylvania, but there are a number of Canadian students here. I was disapointed none of them say "eh". Just kidding.

Most students have a car. Usually the ones that dont live in Colonade, so its a non issue. You could also ride a bike from a few other places, but it would not be fun now, <20 degrees F. There are buses around here, but I dont know their schedule.

Neighborhood is easy to navigate and there are bars and a grocery store under 2 miles of the school. Shopping? Depends what your shopping for. There are lots of retail businesses around the school, but if your looking for a large mall, it will be about 20-30 min away.

Hey everyone,
First congrats on your acceptance to Salus University. I am in the class of 2013 at PCO and I love it. I'm happy I picked PCO because I think Philly is a beautiful city. During first year you won't have too much time to explore Philly, but I hear that after your first year it isn't as intense. I live in Brookview apartments, which is about a 5-7 minute drive. I like Brookview apartments because they are clean and overall a good community. Brookview does have it's negatives like any other apartment complex. My roommate and I share a two bedroom ($1489). You will have enough money from financial aid to cover your rent and expenses, but some people do take out plus loans. There are other places that are cheaper and still comfortable. I'd look into the Towers at Wyncote, Jenkintown Gardens, Elkins Park Gardens, Elkins Park Terrace, and Colonnade. You have plenty of time to look into housing, but some apartment complexes will give you discounts for putting in your applications early. Good luck!

Brookview looks AMAZING! Too bad its far for those without a car.

I'm a little bummed out by the car situation. I'm used to having access to a car or living in an area where public transportation is excellent. I don't want to have to rely on a friend or a roommate for rides all the time!

How do most PCO students find their roommates? Through the PCO student housing bulletin board?

Thanks for all the replies

hey guys .. i just got accepted to PCO as well ! i just joined the group on facebook. i dont know anyone who is going there and i havent figured out where i am going to live yet. does anyone know if the school will send us anything in the mail with suggestions for where to live or anything?

Members don't see this ad :)
hey guys .. i just got accepted to PCO as well ! i just joined the group on facebook. i dont know anyone who is going there and i havent figured out where i am going to live yet. does anyone know if the school will send us anything in the mail with suggestions for where to live or anything?

Yes, the school will send an information packet which contains your "username". You can log into PCO's housing database with it. Unfortunately, these materials have not been sent out yet (to the best of my knowledge). For now you'll have to use craigslist and do research on your own. :scared:

I have been looking at Rent.com, ApartmentGuide.com and it looks like if you don't mind driving 15 minutes or so you can rent a 1 bedroom for around $700 a month. Not always including utilities so you have to watch for that. Just sharing my hours of researching apartments, I figured you all might want to know. I've been looking at the Mt. Airy/Germantown area and it seems pretty nice. If anyone else finds any great deals in that area, by all means, let me know. There is a local online paper for that area if you guys want to check it out, there are classifieds with apartments on there: "www.chestnuthilllocal.com"
:D:D:D:D:D:D:D

Unfortunately I just got put on the "stand by" list at PCO. Was anyone else in that boat and got in? I really wanted to go here.

congrats to everyone who got in!! I am reallly excited to start classes this fall. I am originally from outside buffalo, ny, but i have been in philly for about 7 years for undergrad and grad school.

dont worry about safety by the school, philly looks ghetto but the dangerous parts are pretty much restricted to certain local areas. i have lived in ghetto west philly the entire time i have been here and, knock on wood, i have never had any issues.

if you have a car, it is really easy to get around. and having a car helps you find cheaper rent, i am going to be living about 10-15 mins north on rt 611, and for the little further commute, i am only paying about 450, in a development with our own pool and gym and stuff. granted, it is with two other roomates, but I know them already so that makes it easier.

i was actually wondering about information we are going to be getting about this upcoming semester... granted it is still february, but i have gotten like 10 acceptance/welcome letters, but no info on my pco email or anything.

also, apparently there are some bus lines (maybe even train lines) that go close to pco... but i have never personally used them, only heard about them from other ppl, so i dont know how they would be for going to class.

having a car is going to be invaluable for everyone, and will help you save money by being able to look for further apts. i would suggest looking for places localized right around 611, preferrably north (its nicer)

if anyone has other questions to ask about philly id be happy to help :)

Unfortunately I just got put on the "stand by" list at PCO. Was anyone else in that boat and got in? I really wanted to go here.
I'm in the same boat and wondering the same thing. Does anyone care to answer? Thanks in advance!

I think I've made the final decision to go to PCO but after looking at the financial aid packet it looks almost impossible to afford housing. Am I wrong or could some one tell how they mange to find a decent place to live while not living with zero income. If anyone could reply with their personal experience or let me know how you've managed. it would be appreciated.

i pay 400 a month (w/ 2 other roommates) for my own bedroom (12 x13 or something like that) at one of the nicest apartments in the area (towers at wyncote). nice view of philly and very safe. just look around for good deals it's pretty cheap living around the area and there are plenty of options too. g'luck

pienfoo-
Is that a 3bed/2 bath apartment you're renting, and does that number include utilities? How long of a drive is it to PCO?

When you have roommates, do you all sign one lease together?

i pay 400 a month (w/ 2 other roommates) for my own bedroom (12 x13 or something like that) at one of the nicest apartments in the area (towers at wyncote). nice view of philly and very safe. just look around for good deals it's pretty cheap living around the area and there are plenty of options too. g'luck

wow, that is sooooo cheap. lucky

pienfoo-
Is that a 3bed/2 bath apartment you're renting, and does that number include utilities? How long of a drive is it to PCO?

When you have roommates, do you all sign one lease together?

yup it's a 3bd 2 full bath. it does not include utilities it runs about 50ish more. the drive from leaving the apartment to school is about 10 minutes it is not far AT ALL. the drive to clinic is about 15 minutes but none of us have ever thought that the distance was an inconvenience. the unit usually runs for about 1400ish we just happened to be at the right place at the right time. look around : ) gluck.

I just visited the Wyncote towers and the lady said she had a 3bd/2bathroom for 1458/month. How do you like it at the Wyncote Towers? I read online and there were a lot of bad reviews. I was also interested in Brookview. Have you heard anything about this place?

I've never visited brookview but have done tons of research on it. It looks like such a great place on the outside, but the reviews on it are, unfortunately, TERRIBLE. Check out apartmentratings.com for details. I take those rating sites with a grain of salt because people are more likely to post complaints than post something positive, but the amount of negative reviews scared me away. I guess the place used to be nice, but they've been under new management since 2008 and it's really gone downhill. Approval rating went from 71% to a 38%. I also read that they have an unsatisfactory rating with the better business bureau. Some of the comments were...
-poor maintenance with 9 months to fix a plumbing issue.
-poor water quality
-multiple plumbing issues
-garbage dumpsters overflow every weekend which leads to rats
-poor snow removal
-heat bills (electric) can run $350 - $400 a month.

Towers at wyncote also looks really nice, but they only received a 32% recommendation. LOTS of reported issues with crime, including muggings, stolen cars, drugs, etc...

Again, I have not lived at these places or even visited. I'm just relaying info that I've read. If anyone has lived there and has other info., please share it.

Last edited:
I also read those horrible reviews on Brookview. It seems also impossible to find a nice and affordable place. Chestnut Hills looked really nice too but their reviews and mention of roaches turned me off.

I also read those horrible reviews on Brookview. It seems also impossible to find a nice and affordable place. Chestnut Hills looked really nice too but their reviews and mention of roaches turned me off.
I agree. wyncote house and the plaza apartments are too much $$$. Here's what's been reported about other places:
Chestnut Hill village contracts with 5 colleges, has safety problems, and is run by slumlords.
Lynnewood Gardens has been referred to as a "high price housing project" full of riff-raff.
The Colonnade is super convenient, but.....just can't do it. Mice and funky smells are not my thing.

i lived at brookview last year, and it was a terrifying experience (don't do it). however, it varies from unit to unit and i know they've tried really hard to renovate the kitchens and bathrooms to attract more residents. they get mixed reviews. also, it costs alot of live there it's definietly not worth it. and it's close to nothing (food and such). colonade is literally infested with rats roaches bad smell falling ceiligs and all of the above but they do have good deals from time to time, and if you don't have a car ur stuck there by default pretty much. that or the wyncote house which is pretty nice the only downside is the price and that they don't have any 2 full baths from what i know. the houses across the school is really nice too but availability is a problem and prices are high. the only problem i've had w/ towers is the water pressure (which isn't terrible but could be better), but aside from that im very happy w/ my apartment and everything that comes with this community. clay tennis courts anyone?

Last edited:
i lived at brookview last year, and it was a terrifying experience (don't do it). however, it varies from unit to unit and i know they've tried really hard to renovate the kitchens and bathrooms to attract more residents. they get mixed reviews. also, it costs alot of live there it's definietly not worth it. and it's close to nothing (food and such). colonade is literally infested with rats roaches bad smell falling ceiligs and all of the above but they do have good deals from time to time, and if you don't have a car ur stuck there by default pretty much. that or the wyncote house which is pretty nice the only downside is the price and that they don't have any 2 full baths from what i know. the houses across the school is really nice too but availability is a problem and prices are high. the only problem i've had w/ towers is the water pressure (which isn't terrible but could be better), but aside from that im very happy w/ my apartment and everything that comes with this community. clay tennis courts anyone?

What are the houses across from the school?

Also, for anyone who rents at wyncote house, are any utilities included?

Last edited:
Hello,

PCO has put me on their "standby" list. :confused:
I heard that there are 25 students on the list. Does anyone know how it works? do I have a chace? I heard PCO usually has a big turn-over. I would love to hear from some current students.

Thanx.

Sounds great for those without a budget.

Hello,

PCO has put me on their "standby" list. :confused:
I heard that there are 25 students on the list. Does anyone know how it works? do I have a chace? I heard PCO usually has a big turn-over. I would love to hear from some current students.

Thanx.

Where'd you get the number of stand-by applicants?

I already placed my down payment on a single bedroom apartment at The Wyncote House. I visited the exact room in which I will live during the latter stages of August last weekend. I was easily able to set up an appointment and made the 5 hour drive with my parents. We stayed at a hotel near PCO. It costs $898 per month, excluding utilities, for a one bedroom apartment. There is a flat fee of $20 for the use of water. Basically, you could leave your water running all day and would still be paying only $20 per month. As for electricity, the prices are separated between lighting/electronics and heat. If you DO NOT touch the thermostat, the total amount on your monthly bill will read $0. I was shown a demonstration bill when visiting last weekend. However, I believe it costs $100 for the room temperature to stay at a comfortable level, depending on the weather outside. The apartment manager dictates the variance of that temperature. It comes down to the fact that you will not be charged extra if you keep your hands away from the thermostat. There is no flat rate for lighting or the individual's use of their electronics.

There is a doctor's office located on the main floor of the apartment. Many doctors reside within the apartment. When I visited last week, I saw ONLY female senior citizens with most of them utilizing walkers to make their way around. Some have been living there since the sixties when it opened. There is also a small workout facility with several ellipticals and treadmills. There are laundry washers and driers on each of the nine floors. Garbage shoots are located conveniently on each floor, as well. There is someone at the front desk at all times (24 hours). Security is also on duty 24 hours a day. There is free outdoor parking. Indoor parking costs $70 per month (something I will take advantage of during the winter months). There is also a library located within the apartment; however, it is only open on Thursdays. There is a Wyncote personal transportation bus that shuttles their residents to the malls and other attractions throughout the day.

My bedroom has a nicely sized kitchen with tiled flooring with more than enough cabinet space. The room includes a full sized refrigerator/freezer, microwave, gas stove/oven, and a mini chandelier for the dining area. However, there is no dishwasher. My living area is larger than I had expected. It is quite roomy. Two walk in closets and a nicely sized bedroom are located within the apartment. The bathroom is compact but definitely large enough for one person. Besides the two walk-in closets, there are two other closets for storage space.

You can move your belongings in early. I will be newly furnishing my apartment in May/June. Since the school year starts in late August, students will be excluded from paying rent for Augusts’ payment. Lastly, they run a very professional and tight ship at The Wyncote House. They are reluctant and rejection-friendly of undergraduate students, therefore creating a quiet and tame environment. I was told the senior citizen to student ratio was roughly 1:1.

Any images of the residence available?

Hey everybody,

My name is Aaron. I'm from Jersey (so the driving around philly doesn't bother me :p). I went to Rutgers University for undergrad and studied biomedical engineering. I'm going to be living in the Beaver Hill condo complex up Township Line road. That is almost ALL senior citizens (maybe they will take me as their own and cook for me). I am looking forward to August.

Aaron

Does anyone know who wrote this review:

http://www.apartmentratings.com/rate/PA-Wyncote-Wyncote-House-847528.html

For those in or near Wyncote House (yes, S A M, you &#8212; :D), are basic-needs stores within walking distance of the residence? (By this, I mean, supermarkets, banks, pharmacies, etc.) How is Wyncote House in terms of tech.-readiness (e.g., television, Internet, WiFi)?

Wait, so, where do you live, now: Wyncote, Colonade, Brookview?

Last edited:
Could someone tell me when the first day of orientation is for PCO?

Yes, the school will send an information packet which contains your "username". You can log into PCO's housing database with it. Unfortunately, these materials have not been sent out yet (to the best of my knowledge). For now you'll have to use craigslist and do research on your own. :scared:

Hey, have you yet received your BlackBoard–log-in information?

hey so you all have been accepted to PCO. congrats. I just wanted to know how does PCO notify one if he/she is invited for the interview?

In my case, they mailed a letter asking I call to schedule an interview.

has pco been sending out any acceptances since they started the waitlist, or have they filled all there spaces?

Why don't they just e-mail you if you have to call to arrange the interview anyway?

I don't know. S.U.N.Y. and N.E.C.O., too, though, sent my interview-requests to me via snail-mail, and, for each, I had to call to schedule an interview.

has pco been sending out any acceptances since they started the waitlist, or have they filled all there spaces?

I was on the waitlist for about a month and I recently received an email and a letter saying that I was accepted into the program. It means that someone else dropped their seat in the class and the seat was opened up and I was then offered the seat. When I asked an admissions counselor what the waitlist meant while I was on it, the person told me that being placed on the waitlist means that you are eligible to have a seat in the class but all of the seats, at the time of their decision, were filled...so I don't think they would send out anymore acceptance letters if the class if filled. They said that seats have the chance to be open between now and the start of classes in the fall. Hope that answers your question!

Yes, you should receive it approximately 2 weeks after you send in your deposit.

Just to clarify...do you mean after the first deposit? or after the second one in June?

Just to clarify...do you mean after the first deposit? or after the second one in June?
It would almost certainly be the first. I sent in the full amount so I can't say with 100% certainty.

I was on the waitlist for about a month and I recently received an email and a letter saying that I was accepted into the program. It means that someone else dropped their seat in the class and the seat was opened up and I was then offered the seat. When I asked an admissions counselor what the waitlist meant while I was on it, the person told me that being placed on the waitlist means that you are eligible to have a seat in the class but all of the seats, at the time of their decision, were filled...so I don't think they would send out anymore acceptance letters if the class if filled. They said that seats have the chance to be open between now and the start of classes in the fall. Hope that answers your question!

yes actually, you do answer my question exactly, thank you very much. I've already been accepted to ICO but I am waiting to hear back from PCO before i make tht commitment. So that info helps me kind of understand what my chances are...

Snettig, how do you feel about the two schools (I.C.O. and P.C.O.)? Do you have a leaning?

Snettig, how do you feel about the two schools (I.C.O. and P.C.O.)? Do you have a leaning?
i don't have a preference right now, but my fam's rooting for PCO... they both seem lik pretty good options, isnt a very big difference in curriculum... for me they're both pretty equal on the cons.... PCO will require a car, Chicago is cold.... and both aren't providing too much info on employment opp on campus... ICO pretty much says wait until orientation, PCO welll... correspondence doesnt seem to be their greatest asset....

right now PCO says 3-4 weeks to get an admissions decision... ICO says I may have 15 or 30 days to confirm my spot (I haven't received my official letter yet), so if i dont hear back from PCO by then it will probably be ICO

from ur question i guess u are in a similar situation?

Last edited: