PCO ICO SCO Board Pass

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

M281384

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
How do PCO, ICO, and SCO compare in board pass rates?

How do ICO and PCO compare in total cost (living + tuition)?

How do all three compare in curriculum/education?

I would REALLY appreciate some help, I need to make a decision fast!

Members don't see this ad.

From my understanding SCO has one of the highest board pass rates in the nation. Last year it was 99% compared to the 86% nation wide. It is a private school and has one of the most modest tuition costs (I have instate tuition, thank god) . Likewise, the cost of living in the Memphis area is lower than most metropolitan areas. Finally, I am unsure about the curriculum of each school, but I would be willing to bet they are all very similar.
The reason I chose SCO is because I want to be a great clinician, and they are very clinically focused. Not to mention, costs and proximity from family and friends.

Honestly, if I were you, I would choose the school/city I enjoyed being in the most (assuming the tuitions are roughly the same). After all you're going to be spending the next 4 years of your life there. I would hate to be somewhere I hated for that long.

But for example PCO over four years would be >35,000 dollars more than SCO. With interest rates, that'll end up being more like 50,000. So is it worth paying 50K extra just because I enjoy a city more?

My concern is, being used to the northeast, the people, everything, that Memphis will feel isolated and very different from everywhere else... if SCO was in a nice liberal urban city I wouldn't even second guess any decision. But with the decline in optometrist salaries due to job saturation I'm thinking maybe cost should be the most important factor...

Members don't see this ad :)
But for example PCO over four years would be >35,000 dollars more than SCO. With interest rates, that'll end up being more like 50,000. So is it worth paying 50K extra just because I enjoy a city more?

My concern is, being used to the northeast, the people, everything, that Memphis will feel isolated and very different from everywhere else... if SCO was in a nice liberal urban city I wouldn't even second guess any decision. But with the decline in optometrist salaries due to job saturation I'm thinking maybe cost should be the most important factor...

I think you just answered your own question right there.

Well I want to hear other people's view. My view may be myopic

This is a tough one. The money is definately a big factor, but your happiness should be too. I know people say "o you are only going to be there for 3 years anyway, just suck it up", but honestly if you are going to be miserable, 3 years is a long time. It all comes down to personal choice, and personally, if I really disliked a place, i would bite the bullet and go to the more expensive one. That just me though.

This is a tough one. The money is definately a big factor, but your happiness should be too. I know people say "o you are only going to be there for 3 years anyway, just suck it up", but honestly if you are going to be miserable, 3 years is a long time. It all comes down to personal choice, and personally, if I really disliked a place, i would bite the bullet and go to the more expensive one. That just me though.

I can second this-- I chose the cheaper university that I felt lukewarm about over a more expensive college that I loved. I ended up transferring after just one semester because I was miserable.

How do PCO, ICO, and SCO compare in board pass rates?

How do ICO and PCO compare in total cost (living + tuition)?

How do all three compare in curriculum/education?

I would REALLY appreciate some help, I need to make a decision fast!

I am in a similar situation. If you're in a bind you could ask some schools to extend your deadline for deposit. I know SCO does b/c I asked them and they extended mine for 3 weeks. Anyways to answer your question, I don't think you should think too much about board pass rates. Unless you're at the bottom of your class (which you shouldn't be planning on even before you get to school) you are going to pass regardless of what school you go to. I was trying to factor that into my decision as well but the optometrists I work for told me not to bother. They said: as long as you're going to an accredited school, you're smart, study and work hard your education will be sound and you will pass the boards. (SCO, ICO and PCO are all stellar schools).

ICO's tuition is slightly lower than PCO. I'm not sure about how much exactly, so I won't answer that.

In terms of curriculum ICO and PCO are both quarter systems. That means you go at a faster pace with more tests. SCO on the other hand is a semester system. So if you're more familiar with that, that's something to think about.

To me it already sounds like you're unwilling to part with your 50k for PCO. The city you're going to live in is important, but on the other hand how often are you going to have time to frolic around the city in your first year? You're going to be at school studying most of the time. You should try asking some students from all schools that already go there. Or find some ODs in your area that are alumni. That's what I've done to help narrow down my choices.