PCO or NEWENCO?? ..help?

This forum made possible through the generous support of
SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jlcutie

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
PCO or NEWENCO?!?!

ok i actually have NOT been accepted at either of these schools.. and i have actually not received any correspondence in the mail from either YET.. but i know i should be receiving letters VERY soon.. i have, however, been accepted at Ohio State :D ..

initially.. since i was in highschool, i really really wanted to attend PCO :love: because of a lot of reasons.. BUT.. just last week, i went to visit NEWENCO in boston.. and i really liked it there too.. sooo although there is no problem right now bc i have not heard from either.. i am writing this in CASE there is a problem IF i get accepted to both.

what attracted me to NEWENCO was not only the fact that boston is soo pretty and the school is nice, but that almost every faculty member i met there worked with PEDIATRICS.. and that is exactly what i want to do with my optometry career.. so i feel that if i go to NEWENCO (if i get accepted) i would get up close and personal teaching on peds throughout my 4 years there.. but at the other schools i would only be involved in peds during my 4th year rotation and residency.

another thing is that OSU actually offers a MASTER's degree if i continue my education in peds for two years after i receive my OD degree.. that was very appealing as well..

i would really appreciate if you guys could please inform me with opinions and facts that you may have on PCO, NEWENCO, and OSU.. THANK YOU SO MUCH!! :)

Members don't see this ad.

that is.. facts regarding specializing in pediatrics..if you guys know of any?.. thank youuu

Congratulations on your acceptance to OSU! If you're interested in pediatrics, Dr Earley at OSU (who you will have for anatomy and histology your 1st year) works mainly in pediatrics. He's a genius and you will learn alot from him- he always brings up pediatrics issues in his lectures. I believe that Dr Earley is a major reason why OSU students have such a high 1st time passage rate on Part I of the boards (some recent classes at 100%, lowest % in last 10 yrs or so was 92%, national ave around 70-75%). You can't go wrong if you choose to go to OSU- the facilities may not be as good as some other schools, but the optometric education you will receive is excellent. If there's anything else you'd like to know about OSU or the Columbus area, let me know.