PCOM and Faculty

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Bevo

Radiology, R1
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Just got a question for those attending PCOM right now or those who know more about the school than I do.

I was wonderng what you thought about teh faculty there. I know that all DO schools will have intelligent faculty members. I guess Im asking if the faculyt is supportive, engaging, etc. The enviroment they help to create.

Knowing this for other schools would help as well I think.

Members don't see this ad.

Anyone else interviewing at PCOM on November 13th?:)

I wish I was ...

Members don't see this ad :)
Im interviewing on the 12th. If I get a chance, Ill post that night how my interview went. Good luck!!

anmol

I really like PCOMs faculty. There are a lot of people in the Anatomy department so there is always someone to go to for help.

I disagree with Wish about the 1 on 1 attention. The professors are always willing to help out and I find no problems setting up a meeting or stopping one of them in the hall.

Also, there are clinical correlations in small group sessions (15 students) and these are great times to get to know your professor better. They present clinical cases that are discussed in the group and you can really take the opportunity to learn some interesting stuff while talking to the professors in small groups.

As far as the OMM faculty go, there is no comparison.

PCOM has arguably the best OMM department in the country. The Chair of the Department, Dr. Nicholas, has been here a long time and has brought together some amazing clinicians. It's like a dream team, if you will. New this year are 2 professors, one of whom was Chair at Kirksville. That is on top of the already stellar group.

I personally love OPP/OMM and find that the professors in that department are incredibly helpful. They want you to learn. They want you to get excited about OMM.

There are also some faculty members who are great lecturers. I can name the professors who you do NOT want to miss a lecture for. They make things interesting and quite enjoyable.

In medical school you will quickly learn how to use your time and what th ebest way to spend "free" time is. You also learn quickly which lecturers give great lectures.

Overall, the faculty here at PCOM in all departments are great.

Need to get back to studying...FINALS!!!

PCOM has it's share of great lecturers. Dr. Meals has a quite interesting method of teaching Radiology, isn't that right Mr. Monkey? (You won't get that if you don't have him). Dr. Fogel may hands down be the smartest man alive, though his exam questions are a bit tricky. Pulmonary you have Dr. Simelaro, this guy rocks so fugetaboutit. Dr. Miller makes anatomy very interesting when he pimps your table, make sure you are on top of the material. Two words sphenomadibular ligament. Yes we did get Jones and Kuchera but we did lose Michealson and Bezilla who were very interactive with students. Nice to see you are still in good spirits JP, guess first year hasn't got to you yet. Cell and Tissue lurks ahead.

Originally posted by SLE
Yes we did get Jones and Kuchera but we did lose Michealson and Bezilla who were very interactive with students. Nice to see you are still in good spirits JP, guess first year hasn't got to you yet. Cell and Tissue lurks ahead.

I had the opportuntiy to meet both Michaelson and Bezilla...I'm sorry I won't get the opportunity to study under them.

I'm always in good spirits. But I probably should be getting back to that Cell stuff.

:(

The comments about the OMM dept. are overkill. Basically the 2 brothers are clowns. They ramble on about all kinds of drivel and nonsense. OPP lab is a waste of time. However, to the few people that are truly interested in it, you can become good at it if you put the necessary effort into it (I didn't).

Fogel is pretty good, but not good enough to keep me from skipping all of his second year lectures. He may be smart but he CANNOT stick to a schedule. His slides are good though.

bobo

Bobo nice to see someone has an opinion. Fogel rarely sticks to the assigned lecture, but honestly that has become norm at PCOM. OB/GYN was a grab bag of "what should we do today" I love learning disease states then learning normal physiology. Fogel is one of the few lecturers that I enjoy going to anymore, maybe due to the slides, probably due to the jokes he makes when he is pimping people.

Maybe this is just an area expression, but pimping is when a teacher calls on you to explain something.

has this changed much?

I'm curious about the OMM department and would like to hear more about the small group-clinical correlations session.

Does clinical correlations start in 1st year?

Is OMM integrated into all the basic sciences? Thanks!

JPHazelton said:
I really like PCOMs faculty. There are a lot of people in the Anatomy department so there is always someone to go to for help.

I disagree with Wish about the 1 on 1 attention. The professors are always willing to help out and I find no problems setting up a meeting or stopping one of them in the hall.

Also, there are clinical correlations in small group sessions (15 students) and these are great times to get to know your professor better. They present clinical cases that are discussed in the group and you can really take the opportunity to learn some interesting stuff while talking to the professors in small groups.

As far as the OMM faculty go, there is no comparison.

PCOM has arguably the best OMM department in the country. The Chair of the Department, Dr. Nicholas, has been here a long time and has brought together some amazing clinicians. It's like a dream team, if you will. New this year are 2 professors, one of whom was Chair at Kirksville. That is on top of the already stellar group.

I personally love OPP/OMM and find that the professors in that department are incredibly helpful. They want you to learn. They want you to get excited about OMM.

There are also some faculty members who are great lecturers. I can name the professors who you do NOT want to miss a lecture for. They make things interesting and quite enjoyable.

In medical school you will quickly learn how to use your time and what th ebest way to spend "free" time is. You also learn quickly which lecturers give great lectures.

Overall, the faculty here at PCOM in all departments are great.

Need to get back to studying...FINALS!!!

Clinical Correlations start during first semester. I am only in my first trimester, but for anatomy we get one case for the semester based on things we can explain anatomically with what we have already learned. We also have one histology presentation we must make during the first semester. My group had to do a presentation on muscle tissue, we could come up with any pathology in that category we wanted, but had to explain it in a powerpoint presentation using histopathology slides.

As far as OMM being integrated into the basic sciences...I must first explain term one. First semester you have OPP, PCS(Primary Care Skills, where you learn to do a H and P), and SPOM. Actually, you have OPP and PCS the entire first two years. SPOM (Structural Principles of Osteopathic Medicine) bascially covers an area of the body each week. In that area we do the anatomy, radiology, histology, and embryology for that area. Dr Coughlin relates anatomy to OMM in every lecture he does, maybe one or two of the other professors have integrated it, but not as thoroughly. The radiology portion is covered by an Orthopedic Surgeon, so he usually goes on about fixing problems surgically. But I think that anatomy is somewhat well integrated with OMM, if you pay attention you will def be able to make the connections. I'm not sure what most people think of medical school before they come into it, but there are still alot of people that skip class and don't pay attention or just try to cram. So for those people, it may seem that OMM is not well integrated, but if you truly want to learn and put things together it is feasable.