1. Dismiss Notice
  2. Download free Tapatalk for iPhone or Tapatalk for Android for your phone and follow the SDN forums with push notifications.
    Dismiss Notice

PCOM class of 2004?

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - DO' started by Red, Feb 7, 2000.

1. Red

Red Junior Member
    10+ Year Member

I have recently been accepted to PCOM and am looking to hear from others who are considering going there next Fall! Replies from current students or recent applicants would be appreciated. I interviewed in late December 1999. What do you think of the school, its curriculum, faculty, opportunities for 3rd and 4th year clerkships, etc.????

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. siulrc

siulrc Member
    10+ Year Member

Red,
    I am going to PCOOOOOOMMMMM. I am very excited. I think is a awsome school where I will get the best education and with exceptional opportinities for a succesfull medical career. I got in other school too but I think that few school can offer everything that PCOM can. Well see you there.

------------------
    siul

4. P-B

P-B Junior Member

Siul,
    I feel the same way as you, and I will also be in the class of 2004. See you in August!
    P-B

5. jdg

jdg

RED-
    I'll be attending PCOM in August as well. Looking forward to a great medical education with outstanding clinical opportunities. Philadelphia will be a great place to learn.

------------------
    JDG
    PCOM 2004

[This message has been edited by jdg (edited 02-07-2000).]

6. JB

JB Junior Member
    10+ Year Member

I just found out that I got into PCOM today. I interviewed on Jan 10 and got impatient with the wait so I called them up. The nice receptionist said that "good news" was on the way. I'm pretty sure I'll be joining you all next year - I haven't heard from Temple since my interview but I think I'm leaning toward PCOM anyway.

7. PHOrgain

PHOrgain New Member

Congrats JB. I'm starting the application process by taking my MCAT in April. If you, or anyone who has been accepted in DO school, would send me an email with your MCAT score, GPA, and overall opinion of what was most important in you acceptance I would appreciate it. My e-mail address is [email protected]
    Thanks

8. Red

Red Junior Member
    10+ Year Member

Congrats! To everyone on their acceptances. I hope to have to opportunity to meet you all next Fall. The one thing that impressed me most during my interview at PCOM was the friendly atmosphere. Many current students came to the "fish bowl" to wish us well and some even stayed to give us advice and tell more about the school. I was impressed!

PHOrgain, I wish you the best in the application process next year. I think my numbers are average, MCAT 27 and GPA 3.2. But, I really feel that the osteopathic schools pay a lot of attention to your activities out side of the classroom. I had a lot of volunteer work with community organizations and some "shadowing" experience. Best of Luck.

Is anyone from the Philly area? I am from Western Pennsylvania and would like to know more about the housing situation around PCOM.

9. Red, don't be so convinced that Osteopathic Medical School Admissions Committees select applicants with substantial "life-experience" as a priority. Are you under the impression that Osteopathic Medical schools would prefer to have a 30-year-old student with a 24 MCAT and 3.3 Overall GPA instead of a 21-year-old student with a 30 MCAT and 3.7 GPA? Did you consider the fact that Osteopathic Medical schools must rely upon an uncharacteristic applicant pool in order to find qualified students that are willing to enroll into their entering classes? Most 21-year-old students with 3.5+ GPA's and 30+ MCAT's end up studying at proven Allopathic institutions. For lack of a better word, the "leftovers" are gathered by Osteopathic schools. What right does anyone have to make a distinction between the quality of care that these young students can eventually provide as compared to an older Medical applicant? It's non-sensical that you'd actually believe the notion that Osteopathic Medical schools prefer to enlist older individuals simply because they've undoubtedly held more positions in the working world.

10. PHOrgain

PHOrgain New Member

RED,Thanks for the info.

11. JB

JB Junior Member
    10+ Year Member

Hi PHOrgain, to answer your question, I had a 28 MCAT and 3.25 science GPA. However, with Osteopathic schools in particular, they tend to look at the person behind the numbers. I think my numbers are pretty average. A couple of things which might have set me apart are my undergrad college, my research experiences and publications, and the fact that I shadowed two PCOM physicians. The interview panel seemed to react very favorably to the fact that I shadowed two of their own DOs. Let me know if you have any other questions.

12. JB

JB Junior Member
    10+ Year Member

Hi Red, I currently live in Center City Philadelphia and I grew up in the surrounding suburbs. Philadelphia is a teriffic city that is definitely on the rise. I don't think I could imagine myself living elsewhere. For a major East Coast city it isn't nearly as expensive as Boston or NY yet on many other levels it is comparable. People here speak of the city as going through a renaissance period right now - it was recently ranked the #1 restaurant city in the country. Aside from the cultural and social life, Philly is one of the best medical cities in the country. As a result of its 84 hospitals, it has the most hospital beds/resident ratio of any major city.
    Sorry to get off track, I live in Center City and love it there. It is probably the nicest but most expensive part of the city. Studios start at $600, 1 BRs at $900. It is about a 10-15 minute drive to PCOM from Center City without traffic. The major problem is that it costs $200/mo. for a parking spot. There are a bunch a large highrise apartment complexes on City Line Ave, just down the street from PCOM. They are not cheap either and a lot of them are filled with retired people. But as far as convenience to campus you can't beat them. A lot of students live in the Roxborough/Manayunk area. Manayunk is a neat area of the city that has a lot of bars/clubs/restaurants/art galleries. It's not as expensive as Center City and parking is much less $$. It's probably less thank 10 minutes away by car without traffic. I'm thinking about moving there after my first year. If you want less expensive living options with no parking fees, you can live in the suburbs.

13. Red

Red Junior Member
    10+ Year Member

Wow JB,

Thanks for all of the Philly info. I was interested to hear about the apartments close to PCOM as I will probably end up living near campus my first year. Second year, I hope to move to Manayunk, as I enjoyed visiting the area when I interviewed and as you said it is still close. I am glad to hear Philly has so much to offer as far a cusine! I currently live in a small town in western PA and we are constantly lamenting the lack of good restaurants. The best we can do here is Applebee's. I have no problem with Applebee's, but we eat there all of the time. I miss the cultural variety and am looking forward to next year!

14. siulrc

siulrc Member
    10+ Year Member

Vegeta

First, I think that your statement about applicants being "leftovers" is insulting and inacurate. I was accepted to two MD's school and I chose to go to a ostepathic school. I think what the other member was trying to say was that osteopathic schools evaluate the applicant as a whole not base only in numbers. Many occasions numbers don't mean anything. That's why I declined the two MD's schools. I wanted to go to a place where I am look at as complete person. Plus, the whole vision of osteopathic medicine of what medicine should be was far more attractive to me than the ideas behind allopathic school. I don't what your interest are in the health care field but you should be more respectful to others opinions and get you facts straight before making foolish comments.

------------------
    siul

15. Smile

Smile Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

say hello to your newest classmate at PCOM class of 2004. look forward to meeting you all.

16. PCOM here I come!

17. roger2004

roger2004 Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

JB
    Hi! Did you happen to get my email? Had some questions about living in the Philly area while attending PCOM. That $200 a month to park your car in addition to close to $1000 a month for rent plus utilities etc is a STAGGERING number. How do students afford it? You can only borrow so much, which of course will have to be paid off at about $3 for every $1 we borrow. It is a real concern. Is the Office of Housing a help in terms of finding a rental or potential roomates. It would seem to me having one or TWO roomates would be a more economical way to go. If you or anyone at PCOM could comment I'd like to hear how you're handling these issues. Thanks

------------------

rog

18. Red

Red Junior Member
    10+ Year Member

JB and rodger 2004,

I would also be interested in hearing more about living expenses in Philly. I was looking over the financial aid info that PCOM sent yesterday, and as JB said, you can only borrow so much. PCOM is a great school, but they are private and their tuition is high compared to public institutions. How do students get by?

[This message has been edited by Red (edited 02-14-2000).]

19. abs

abs Member
    10+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    Hi!

I am going to PCOM next year too. Has anyone received the financial aid packet yet? I was alittle nervous when I opened it!

Can't wait to meet you all in August,
    Alisa [​IMG]

20. Smile

Smile Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

do any of you have any ideas or suggestions for apartments near PCOM? which are good, which are to stay away from, what are the average costs, etc.

21. Shoedog1

Shoedog1 Junior Member

Congratulations to all who have been accepted to PCOM. I hope to see you all next fall and please enjoy your summer!!

22. amyb

amyb SDN Moderator
    10+ Year Member

Wow! Great to hear the class of 2004 is coming together and "gelling" as we in 2002 like to call it. Your enthusiasm now will only pay off later and I think it's great that you guys are "meeting" already.
    As far as housing, if you look around school, don't let anyone tell you that living in a place called Presidential City is anything less than a nightmare! Look on the Philly.com website for aparments in Manayunk/Roxborough, it's great, close to school and the awesome park, plus, we all need a good brew every now and again! Enjoy your summer (relax while you still can) and I hope you come to have as much pride in PCOM as I do.

Amy

23. amyb

amyb SDN Moderator
    10+ Year Member

Red,

Where are you from in Western PA?

just wondrin'

Amy

24. Red

Red Junior Member
    10+ Year Member

amyb,

I am currently living in the Meadville, in western PA. Meadville is off of I-79 an hour south of Erie and 2 hours north of Pittsburgh. Are you from the area? I didn't grow up here and have only been living here for the past 3 years. Do you live in the Manayunk/Roxborough area? I thought about living there next year and I am sure that I would prefer it over an apartment complex. But, I am concerned about having to find a place "long-distance", this first year.

To alisa and others,

I recieved that financial aid packet a week ago and have only started to read through it, it is quite long. I need to contact PCOM soon with questions about my eligibility as I am a non-traditional student. But, it looks like we will all be borrowing big $$$ over the next few years. Can't worry about that though it is all part of becoming a doctor.

25. amyb

amyb SDN Moderator
    10+ Year Member

Red,
    I went to college at Westminster near Sharon, how cold is it up near the lake this year?
    Don't worry too much about all of the money you are going to borrow now : ) it sounds like such a collosal amount especially when you take into account cost of living, but once you get in school and you are in the thick of it, you realize you are fulfilling a dream and you are going to be able to pay it off. Actually you really don't think about the large sum when you get there. You will have time to worry about it when you are making money again! : ) Good luck with everything and let me know if I can be of more assistance!

26. jdg

jdg

Did anyone recently get an email inviting all members of the class of 2004 for a Sunday brunch on 4/2/00? I thought that was pretty cool, especially since we will be able to meet some of the faculty and our future classmates.

------------------
    JDG
    PCOM 2004

27. Red

Red Junior Member
    10+ Year Member

I got the e-mail yesterday! It is quite a distance for me to travel over a weekend, but I am definately going to try and attend. I feel it is a great opportunity to meet faculty and fellow classmates ahead of time. Besides we could even arrive early and use Saturday to scout for apartments or hopefully speak with someone at PCOM in financial aid. I still need to fill out the BIG packet. Hope to see you all there!

28. siulrc

siulrc Member
    10+ Year Member

jdg, I think is awesome but only for people that live in philly. In my case I can take advantage of the opportunity bcz I lve in Florida and its very difficult for my to gather that money needed for just a weekend. But still think is an excellent opportunity so take advantage off it.

------------------
    siul

29. Hi everyone! I was also accepted to PCOM for the class of 2004. I am hoping to go to the luncheon on April 2 to meet all of you! How does everyone feel about starting in the fall? I'm interested to hear your thoughts. Take care!

30. P-B

P-B Junior Member

I am going to the Brunch as well...looking forward to it. Very excited about next fall. Have a great summer everyone. Brian