SDN members see fewer ads and full resolution images. Join our non-profit community!

PCOM hospital closing

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - DO' started by JB, Jan 27, 2000.

1. JB

JB Junior Member 10+ Year Member

Sep 28, 1999
    Philadelphia, PA, USA
    Just heard on the news today that City Ave. Hospital which is owned by Tenet but on PCOM's campus will be permanently closing because renovation would not be cost effective. From what I understand a lot of PCOM rotations take place there. Anyone know how PCOM plans on compensating for this?

2. SDN Members don't see this ad. About the ads.
  3. siulrc

siulrc Member 10+ Year Member

Jan 25, 2000
    Philadelphia, PA
    jb
    I don't knoe anything about City Avenue closing. I am going to PCOM next fall and I have not heard anything but i guess the wise thing to do is to call PCOM and ask. The y should be able to give accurate information. But i don't think that if it is true i won't hurt that much. PCOM have so many hospital that it almost doesn't make nay difference.

------------------
    siul

4. jdg

jdg

jb-
    Heard the same thing on the news. I'm starting to wonder what will happen to internship/residency positions that were available through the City Ave. hospital. It will probably be straightened out by the time my 3rd or 4th year rolls around.

------------------
    JDG
    PCOM 2004

5. Medic1895

Medic1895 Junior Member 10+ Year Member

Dec 28, 1999
    Sewell, NJ
    Yes, city avenue hospital is closing. PCOM sold it to alleghany which ran it into the ground. Tenet has decided to close it for several reasons. One of which is poor revenue - even thought the hospital is in the city of Philadelphia, someone negotiated subruban rates to increase admissions. It didn't pay off.

There are simply too many hospitals in Philly - over 80 - and now they are feeling the crunch.

PCOM does have many hospitals in which to do rotations, but I would speculate that the PCOM specific residencies are in jeopardy.

I ended up choosing Jefferson over PCOM and now I am glad - I just don't need the uncertainty on top of the rigors of med school.