PCOM Housing?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mswise34

MARSHALL
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm starting PCOM in the fall and wanted some advice from some PCOMer's on where to live. Specific places near campus would be helpful. I live in S.C. therefore I do not have easy access to look around. Any advice is greatly appreciated!

Members don't see this ad.

I am starting at PCOM in the fall too for the Graduate Program and have been looking for housing too... so far, no luck. Any suggestions or recommended areas to live?

Members don't see this ad :)
mswise34 said:
I'm starting PCOM in the fall and wanted some advice from some PCOMer's on where to live. Specific places near campus would be helpful. I live in S.C. therefore I do not have easy access to look around. Any advice is greatly appreciated!

Congrats on the acceptance! You're coming to a GREAT school.

I live in Greenbriar Apartments and am really happy here. It's relatively cheap (~$700/month, utilities included), very quite, and super convenient. Greenbriar is located on Conshohocken Ave, which is literally down the street from PCOM. Total commute time by car: < 1 minute.

Where ever you get housing, make sure it has utilities included. Price of electricity in Philly is supposedly really high. G'luck.

I am moving into Greenbriar next week with two other people to consolidate my rent. It should come to ~$450/mo each with utilities included.

Other places to look into:
-Presidential City
-Belmont House
-Executive House
-Iroquois
-Manayunk, East Falls, & Wynnefield Heights areas of Philadelphia
-areas of Lower Merion
-craigslist.com
-PCOM Student Affairs

Any of the PCOM housing options allow pets, and if so, are they good options?

notnarcsDO said:
Any of the PCOM housing options allow pets, and if so, are they good options?

dude exactly my predicament, I would like a place close to school, pet friendly and with most utilities included, so far I have not been able to find this combo..

medhacker said:
dude exactly my predicament, I would like a place close to school, pet friendly and with most utilities included, so far I have not been able to find this combo..

check out greenbriar, they allow pets.

EastCoaster78 said:
check out greenbriar, they allow pets.

Awesome...my parents were going to get me the dog I wanted for graduation, but I wanted to make sure that I had options first. Is greenbriar a nice place to live, i.e. would you reccommend it?

I live at beekman place apartments, which is on belmont ave. I pay $760 a month for a studio with ALL utilities included(w/o phone or internet of couse, which costs me maybe $40 more a month, I don't have cable tv so can't tell you what that runs). This may sound like alot, but the apartment is 0.5 mi from campus so I walk to school. I didn't even bother getting a parking pass for campus because you can park free on campus on the weekends and on the weekdays after 5pm. You have to swipe your ID to get into the parking lot so during the day if you have a parking pass it will let you in. Since only a few cars get in at a time, it would take me longer to drive to school than it does walking, hell its good excercise anyhow. Although the rent may sound steep, I'm sure the fact that I only buy gas every 4-5 weeks makes up for it. I don't have any pets, but I believe we are allowed to have cats.

I highly recommend living in Lower Merion area which is basically the other side of City Ave. MUCH nicer area, but a little more expensive. I live 3 miles from school. Much more like suburbia, 2 nearby starbucks for studying, borders bookstore nearby, lots of little cafes, nice shopping, etc. Also, I routinely sleep with all my windows open, and can basically sleep with my doors unlocked if I choose. Its a much nicer and safer area. 10 minute drive from school, 20 minutes to centercity. One bedrooms run ~$900-1000, and two bedrooms typically $100 more.

check out www.mmcrent.com
look at The Brynwood (also use this address to find the nicer areas nearby)

Personally who cares if you are 2 minutes from school, but in exchange have safety issues, breakins, ...
Drive 10 minutes and have a more pleasant experience.

Message me if you want more info.

Good luck

I have lived in the philly area the last 4 years and know the area pretty well. Only reason I even looked over into this area is becuae my best freind is a 3rd year at PCOM and I did the grad program there in Biomed to get into dental school. alot of the places that have been mentioned are good places to live, I myself have been looking at the Fountain Ave apts., good price for the space plus it has off street parking!!! if you plan on living anywhere in the Manyunk, roxborough areas make sure the place has OFF STREET PRAKING!!!! street parking is like the powerball lotto in terms of getting a spot.. you have a better chance of getting hit by lightning! good luck at PCOM next year.. it is a great school and I owe it all to them for getting me into dental school at Temple... for those of you that are doing the grad program to get in... a few words of advice... DONT screw off. it will cost you big time... a few of the freinds i met there didn't get into PCOM because they took the grad program lightly... they teach it almost like they do the med students, and when you do begin in the med program you are well ahead of the curve in comparison to the newcomers!.. ohh and the PRes is right next to school but the aparments are sick as hell!!!! they are in seriuos need of some upgrades if they want to charge as much as they do.

tug1625 said:
.. ohh and the PRes is right next to school but the aparments are sick as hell!!!! they are in seriuos need of some upgrades if they want to charge as much as they do.

True that!

Wall unit A/Cs? please!

I thought they were going to be cheap because of their looks, but they are not :thumbdown: