PCOM -HOW DO YOU AFFORD THE RENTS & PARKING FEES?

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - DO' started by roger2004, Feb 14, 2000.

1. roger2004

roger2004 Senior Member

Great school with 100 years of experience to draw on but those RENTS!!!! Looking at a $1000 a month for a studio within walking distance (or under a 10 minute ride) and about $200 PER MONTH to park your CAR. Any more affordable areas of the city to live in which are still considered desirable? It would be nice to be close enough to walk to the school but may not be an economical sound option. Any housing available for 2 or 3 students to share a place in the area? Is the Housing Office of the school any real help? Please comment if you have any info. Thanks

------------------

rog

2. Thread continues after this sponsor message. SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. Cost of living isn't actually that bad. Somewhere like NYC is MUCH worse so far as rent and you can pretty much forget about a car there (I wouldn't think you would need one anyway).

The two complexes I know that are within walking distance to PCOM are the presidential city (http://www.presidential city.com ) and lexington green. Pres is 3 or 4 high rises that range in rent from $640 for a classic studio (SMALL) to $2000 for a 3 bedroom 2 bath. I also looked at a "classic" 1 bedroom for $750 (not too bad).

Lexington green is more expensive. You are looking at $840 for a 588 sf garden apt. A 2 bedroom 960 sf is $960 a month.

The good thing is that you can walk to school from either one so there is no parking fee. Also they cover utilities except for power.

I read somewhere that nearby place can run $600 for a decent 1 bedroom. Parking is a buck in the lot next to PCOM.

Hope this helps!

I am heading there so it is a concern of mine as well.

4. amyb

amyb SDN Moderator

I must post a warning, unless you are in the mood for alot of undue headache from a building run by total idiots that was built in 1942 (!there is a picture somewhere of the school and Pres. ****ty, and nothing else) then do yourself a favor and don't even go into Presidential City. Living there is an over priced pain in the ass. Lincoln Green in nice, waaaayyyy too expensive for what you get in loans. Try Fairmont Terrace (on Conshohocken just behind Lincoln Green) if you want to live close to school, or really do yourself a favor and check out apartments in Manayunk/Roxborough on philly.com or another classifieds search. Many people also live at this place called Beekman off of Belmont. It seems to be ok. It is hard when you look at the numbers, but living there is affordable. PCOM does a roomate match through student affairs which seems to be pretty reliable if you want to save even more money. (I got lucky and got married)

Anyway, good luck!

Amy

5. amyb

amyb SDN Moderator

For students parking is free on the lot. There was a big stink about the hotel nearby expandig and taking back the two closest lots so they built a new one which should be completed for you guys. The parking garage at school is also available, but unless you have a band new Merc, save your cash. Most places you find to live do not charge for parking. If you decide to live in a home-rental property, there is usually parking available on the street. Also, if you don't have an aversion to public transit, there is a bus that runs from Manayunk/ Roxborough that drops you off right in front of school. Not bad. Walking to school is not all it's cracked up to be, I did it for a year and when you are tired, studying for finals and it's 8am, you end up driving anyway. If you are an outdoorsy sort of person, Wissahickon park is bordered by Roxborough and I can tell you it is great to live next to if you like to run and is considered some of the best mountain biking i n the area. Just a thought cause we all need a break from school!

hope it helps.

6. Dr JPH

Dr JPH Banned
    Banned

Resident [Any Field]
    I currently attend USP, which is on South 42nd street. I am 10-15 minutes drive time from PCOM (no need to use highway) and there are plenty of small houses and apartments for rent along 40th-46th street. These would be ideal for students attending PCOM who have a car. You can call "Urban & Bye", which I believe is located on 39th + Walnut, for more information. Again, the places near me are for students who have access to a car only, as it would be quite a walk to PCOM.
    Hope this helps.

Josh Hazelton
    [email protected]
    "D.O. Wannabe"

7. DocGibby

DocGibby Senior Member

Geez, those prices are outrageous. Do you even get a nice apartment for 750 dollars?

8. amyb

amyb SDN Moderator

Last year I paid 720$ to rent a nice one bedroom in a horrible building.
    This year I rent from a private owner, have a huge, VERY nice three bedroom in Roxborough for 850$. Still sounds like alot, but I have my own washer/dryer, dishwasher, garage and two floors, w/w and a master bedroom that is 14X20. Not bad.
    Take your time in looking and the affordable apartments are there! Start looking at buildings in May/June, and private places in late June/early July to start renting in August.
    Good luck!

9. roger2004

roger2004 Senior Member

RAM #48, amyb and JPHazleton
    Thanks very much for the great info on housing. I'll check out the more affordable areas you mentioned and hope for the best. Do you think I have a hope of finding TWO compatible roommates using the form the Student Activities Department puts out in April/May or is that overly optimistic?
    Amyb, do you know where you will be rotating next year? Are you going to keep that nice apartment you mentioned? Do you know of any MS2's who share a nice place which might be coming available? Thanks for any other hints you might have.
    Good luck to all at PCOM!

------------------

rog

[This message has been edited by roger2004 (edited 02-20-2000).]

10. Red

Red Junior Member

amyb,

Thanks, for helping us will all of the housing info! I am hoping to start looking in mid-May. It sounds like it would be worth it to conduct a search for a rental property.

I really need to save some money next year, as my husband will staying behind in western PA during my first year at PCOM so we will still be paying the morgage where we live now, until he sells the house.

Are utilities included in most rentals in Manyunk? And is it difficult to find parking on the street? Or, is it like any big city?

Thanks again,
    Red

11. amyb

amyb SDN Moderator

Roger,
    My husband and I are looking to buy a house so I am not sure when we are moving out, but I will mention to our realator that someone is interested! : )

Red and Roger,

As far as getting two compatible roomates, I guess it depends on how you want to study and how you get along with people. These things are asked and taken into serious consideration (unlike the majority of college campuses)and I think you can even look at them. If you make a trip down there is a book in student affairs that lists information from past students/renters on many various apartments and complexes, lists price, management, utilities, etc.
    As far as utilities included, it is rare that you will find a place that includes everything. Heat can be gas, electric or oil down here (something I was not used to coming from W. PA myself) but most places will pay for water, which is minimal anyway. Cable down here is really expensive from what I hear (never tried it cause I get all I need with rabbit ears).

In Manayunk, if you look on a street map (not the little one they give you from student affairs) the closer you get to Main St., the harder it is going to be to find parking because it is a big night/shopping spot. Not sure about during the week (plus people "save" them with cones)
    Want some detailed directions that maybe more than you are asking for?
    If you are looking at Classifieds and street addresses, the best thing to do is find City Ave, Ridge Ave, and Henry Ave. Anything West of where City Ave passes under 76 to meet Ridge Ave. up to Fountain Stree from Ridge, south to the river and North to Henry is generally safe and five to ten minutes from school. You will find private apartments here mostly. You can find more apartments and complexes further up Ridge avenue and they are generally safe and affordable just a farther drive, but no big deal. If you can find Andorra Shopping center on a map, this is really the furthest up Ridge ave (time wise) that I have heard people doing. There are alot of complexes on Henry Ave. too and are usually affordable, easy access to school.
    Again, this is probably more than you want, but I am bored cause I just finished my neuro final!

Amy