PCOM interview soon, Please Help!!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

anmol

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey,

This message is for all the PCOM folk out there. I have my interview next teusday and I can use all the input you guys have. I am actually going to philly on Monday and will be visiting the campus that day so that I dont get lost on Teusday. This may be a strecth, but if there are any PCOM students that wouldnt be bothered by helping me out, maybe by meeting me up and showing me around and just answering some of my questions, I would really appreciate it. I know thats asking a little much, but this is my #1 choice school, and its also my first interview, so I am going nuts here. Thank you all in advance!!

anmol

Members don't see this ad.

i know it's been said before on these boards, but PCOM's interview was very relaxed and conversational. there were no difficult questions about HMO's or ethical situations. it seemed like they just wanted to meet you and see if you were friendly and motivated with some excitement about learning medicine and attending PCOM. the school is relatively small and it's not that difficult to find your way around, but if it will make you more relaxed to go the day before, then go for it.

relax :) PCOM was my first interview too and i was definitely nervous, but it's an exciting kind of nervous, especially when you are at your first choice school. i think it was a good first interview to have because it was in a relaxed environment.

best of luck to you - i'm sure you'll do great :)
(i'm still crossing my fingers until i hear from them in a couple weeks!)

jd,
is the pcom interview a panel interview or 1 on 1? are they gonna ask me if i applied to allopathic schools too? and if they do will thy ask which i would choose over the other (DO vs MD)???
thanx

Members don't see this ad :)
my interview panel was two people - one from the admissions office and a DO faculty member. they did ask me if i applied to other schools and if i heard from anyone else (i only applied to DO schools and i had only heard from one other school for an interview). they seemed to like the fact that i only applied to DO schools, but i heard that they are ok with you applying to both MD and DO schools as long as you have a reason why. personally i wouldn't know how to answer that question, because i want to be a DO.

i've heard people say that they really believe in the philosophy of osteopathic medicine and they plan on practicing holistically whether they are a DO or an MD. i don't really like that answer, but of course, i'm not the one to give you a reason for why you applied to both. just have an answer ready for them and be truthful if the question comes up. i'm not sure if they would ask you if you would choose MD over DO, but i would be prepared for anything.

good luck on your interview :)

The PCOM interview is a panel interview. Usually two to three people. They may ask "Where else have you applied?" I think I would be honest with them and tell them if you have applied to MD schools.

I'm not sure if thy will ask you if you would choose one over the other. And if they do, I'm not sure how you would go about answering that question.

Mainly, you have to show them that you have an interest in Osteopathic Medicine.

Anmol,

Usually a number of students stop by and answer some questions and some advice that interviewees have. If I walk by and see all of the interviewees I would be happy to stop by and answer some questions.

Also, you could post any specific questions here and I will try to answer them.

Good Luck.

Originally posted by Chisel
The PCOM interview is a panel interview. Usually two to three people. They may ask "Where else have you applied?" I think I would be honest with them and tell them if you have applied to MD schools.

I'm not sure if thy will ask you if you would choose one over the other. And if they do, I'm not sure how you would go about answering that question.

Mainly, you have to show them that you have an interest in Osteopathic Medicine.

Anmol,

Usually a number of students stop by and answer some questions and some advice that interviewees have. If I walk by and see all of the interviewees I would be happy to stop by and answer some questions.

Also, you could post any specific questions here and I will try to answer them.

Good Luck.

Ahhh, Chisel....offering out advice when you really should be studying.

I thought you went to get me coffee? Hurry back!

Anyway...anmol...I sent you a PM. PCOMs interview is great and you will do fine.

Hope to hear from you soon.

thanx soooo much guys!!!!!!!!!

Williestyle,
Seriously don't sweat the interview it was really laid back, then again so was PSU-Hershey. I think all they asked me was why osteopathy and why I applied so late (which is an enirely different and long story). I was the last interview group to go through for the year. Be honest, they see people all day long and can tell those that BS. I had Dr. Fox (I think she is the director of admissions) and Dr. Mochan (a prof). The only awkward question that they asked me was why I got a C in advanced physics. I said because I really didn't put the time in and because I was too busy playing hockey. Not the most intellegent of all responces, but I was honest and they laughed. Don't let the fish bowl fluster you. You will be in an all glass room and people will walk by and look in. Some student always stops in before you actually interview to cut down thte tension. Best of luck(not that luck has anything to do with it), don't worry you'll be a PCOM 2007 student soon enough.

Wish,

I know Deb Erdner is not a psychiatrist. I meant that I had a 3 on 1 panal interview

1. a psychiatrist
2. Deb Erdner
3. and a 2nd year student

I'm pretty sure I know the names of the psychiatrist and the 2nd year student who interviewed me, but I am not 100% so I'm not going to name them

They were all nice, btw

Now I'm curious whether or not I met you (Wish) or JPHazelton during my tour of PCOM.

Anyway, back to praying to the god Apollo (god of light, music and MEDICINE) for a chance to be his servant

On next year's apps, they should ask:
1. Have you ever visited studentdoctor.net
2. Are you registered on studentdoctor.net (and if no, explain)
3. What is your nickname (login name, handle) on SDN?
4. If you saw a negative post about PCOM on SDN, would you snitch on your fellow applicants and tell the adcom?

hehe - that would make the application process a little more interesting :)

Meeting Wish is like a weird dream.

You're not too sure what to think while it's going on, and later, when it's all over...you're not sure if it really happened.

WUAS,
Thank you for splitting hairs. Yes Carol is a Mrs. not a Dr. I bet you submit challenges to every exam. Don't take that personal, just ask PMDCD, it's just a joke.

Thank you guys soooooooooooooooooo much. You have all been so helpful, and I am so excited to be interviewing at a school where the students are so enthusiastic about helping us pre-meds and happy about thier school. Once again thank you all, and I hope to join you guys soon!!

anmol

hey anmol,

congrats!! and go get 'em. hey i'll be there the day after you. so leave some good vibes for me;)

-EMW