mdille2

Mom of 5
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
May 31, 2005
Illinois
Status
Medical Student
OKay, so at my school we do not have a pre med committee and our advisors are extremely hard core (ie If you get a B you can kiss med school goodbye). So I check and one of the requirements for PCOM is ..."Letter of evaluation from the premedical committee, premedical advisor, or Dean of the college granting the undergraduate degree. Individual faculty letters do not fulfill this requirement."

So all of my LORs mean nothing and I have to figure out which is the worser of two evils....asking a dean who does not know me at all, or asking an advisor who I do not think even gives LOR's.

you guys have any experience with this kind of thing?

Marcia

Hardbody

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Jul 14, 2005
Status
mdille2 said:
OKay, so at my school we do not have a pre med committee and our advisors are extremely hard core (ie If you get a B you can kiss med school goodbye). So I check and one of the requirements for PCOM is ..."Letter of evaluation from the premedical committee, premedical advisor, or Dean of the college granting the undergraduate degree. Individual faculty letters do not fulfill this requirement."

So all of my LORs mean nothing and I have to figure out which is the worser of two evils....asking a dean who does not know me at all, or asking an advisor who I do not think even gives LOR's.

you guys have any experience with this kind of thing?

Marcia
That sucks. I bet the Dean is probably going to wonder why you didn't go to the premed committee for a letter, and at that point he/she may or may not grant you that letter.

I myself have a similar situation, my school does not have a premed committee, so I have to get a letter from my Dean (and I am a non-science major). That should be really interesting, but hey, if that is what they want, that is what they will get. On a positive note, my D.O. letter will be from a very successful PCOM graduate, maybe this will help to counter my other letter.

cee

10+ Year Member
Apr 28, 2004
Status
Post Doc
Hardbody said:
I myself have a similar situation, my school does not have a premed committee, so I have to get a letter from my Dean (and I am a non-science major). That should be really interesting, but hey, if that is what they want, that is what they will get.
i was an economics major and have to do the same. it's really annoying, but i'm just going to have my dean say something along the lines of "he was not a pre-med student here, therefore we cannot comment on his pre-medical progress."

Hardbody

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Jul 14, 2005
Status
cee said:
i was an economics major and have to do the same. it's really annoying, but i'm just going to have my dean say something along the lines of "he was not a pre-med student here, therefore we cannot comment on his pre-medical progress."
I don't think you should have him comment on your premed history at all. I think you should have him boast about your academic accomplishments and activities you have been involved with that your dean might have knowledge of.

I don't know why PCOM feels the need to deviate from standard LOR policies of other schools. It can really make it hard for non-traditional applicants. In the end it is worth it, since PCOM is number one on my list (of course that may change as I go through the interview process).

WestcoastMedicine

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Nov 6, 2004
New York
Status
Fellow [Any Field]
I went to a small public liberal arts school that had no premed committee as well. I went to the dean, he asked me what extracurricular activites I had completed, why I wanted to pursue medicine, any past medical experiences and then he wrote me a letter. He stated he had done this in the past for students so if you approach your dean, although there is almost zero chance you have a personal relationship already with him/her, they most likely will have been asked to do the same thing if they have been the dean for any period of time. My undergraduate school has a graduate PA program, so I had difficulty getting letters since I "should go to our PA school". Best of Luck to you!

newbie04

15+ Year Member
Aug 16, 2004
Status
Attending Physician
Marcia,

I went to the Dean for a letter. I didn't know him/her. All I did was call the Dean's office and they said it would be no problem.

The letter only included nonspecific information (that I was a student in good standing and that I graduated at such and such date). The letter was a very basic form letter. PCOM had no problem with this letter.

I also submitted other LORs on top of the required pre-med committee/dean letter.

OP
mdille2

mdille2

Mom of 5
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
May 31, 2005
Illinois
Status
Medical Student
newbie04 said:
Marcia,

I went to the Dean for a letter. I didn't know him/her. All I did was call the Dean's office and they said it would be no problem.

The letter only included nonspecific information (that I was a student in good standing and that I graduated at such and such date). The letter was a very basic form letter. PCOM had no problem with this letter.

I also submitted other LORs on top of the required pre-med committee/dean letter.
All,
Thanks so much.
Hardbody, We do not have a premed committee at my school,or this would be a breeze because I would already have a letter from them.
Newbie,
Did you get accepted to PCOM? Did you have a DO letter? I have an MD letter do you think that would be okay?

Marcia