PCOM on 1/19

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

roger2004

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Applied EARLY - and then didn't hear a PEEP from PCOM for months! I had just about given up on them!
If anyone has interviewed, been accepted or attends PCOM, could you comment on WHY YOU CHOSE PCOM. I know this is an individual, personal choice, but your insights would be helpful.
Also, does anyone have any information on the preceptorship program there? Are you assigned to a preceptor/physican in the first year? Any "hands on" exerience with patients in the first year? What do you think of the use of "patient" actors at PCOM?
Any comments on the "integrated" curriculum used at PCOM. I understand many courses are systems based.
Any tutoring resources for students? Is there a charge?
Any notation service for students?
How about the clinical program and residency opportunities? There was some talk of farming "OUT" of students from the Philly area for rotations to be done throughout PA and some in Maryland. Any rotations done in NJ?
Any opportunity for research at PCOM?
Any info on their funding or endowments for financial aid assistance? I have heard certain schools are better funded and may be able to assist students just a bit more.
Lastly, any feedback on doing an allopathic residency program coming from PCOM and not doing the AOA PA required osteopathic internship year?
I'd like to ask some solid questions at the interview and these are just some of the topics that interest me.
PS - is the new student activities center and the student athletic intramural program as great as everyone says?
Thanks for any comments and good luck!
Rog

------------------

rog

[This message has been edited by roger2004 (edited 01-14-2000).]

[This message has been edited by roger2004 (edited 01-15-2000).]

Members don't see this ad.

Rog:

I remember from previous posts that you were debating on sending your $$$ somewhere else...what happened? Where are you set to attend in the Fall?

Roger2004-
I chose PCOM because of the clinical opportunities that PCOM will provide, the school's reputation, the tremendous facilities, and lastly because of its close location to my family. I'm sure you'll hear a number of different responses to your question. Good luck on your interview and let me know how it goes.

------------------
JDG
PCOM 2004

Members don't see this ad :)
Rowerman
you're right-I've been hanging around this BB for months. (it's great)
I was in a position very early in the application cycle where I was given an unexpected early acceptance at a school I didn't expect to hear from until much later, if at all. When given the opportunity to secure a seat for next fall at a medical school which I liked in as much as I knew about it, or passing on that offer in the hope something else would come along, I sent in a hefty deposit. I had four interviews after that acceptance and ultimately withdrew my acceptance. My plans for next fall are somewhat unsettled and depend on financial issues among other things. I have been offered a seat at a school I really liked and feel great about that. I've learned it's best to be open-minded as you work your way down the "admissions trail". It's been a real learning experience!
And what about your application adventures? Do you have any solid plans for next fall, if you'd like to say? What schools do you really like and where do you hope to attend? Ultimately this is such a personal choice, it almost defies any attempt at explaination. Good luck

------------------

rog

[This message has been edited by roger2004 (edited 01-15-2000).]

JDG,
thanks for your reply. By the way, when did you interview there and when did you receive your acceptance? I'm wondering how far along in the process they are and how many seats are actually left. I know it's a big class but it is half way through January already.
Good luck at PCOM - It sounds great!

------------------

rog

rog-
It was really kind of strange. My application was complete in the begining of October. I didn't hear from them until mid-December (I think the 11th)when I was given a Jan. 5th interview date. What was most shocking was that I received an acceptance letter in the mail on the 12th. The letter was dated the 10th. That's the fastest turn around time I could have imagined. I was fortunate to get that letter on Wednesday the 12th because I was able to cancel an interview scheduled for the next day. I did not like the area that the school was in, and was interested in going to the school only if I had to. Actually, I was about to get in the car to leave for the interview when the mail truck arrived. By the way, what did you decide to do about UMDNJ-SOM? They are my state school, and I have yet to hear from them. I think I remember reading a couple of months ago that you interviewed there and were accepted? I'd go to the interview if offered. It might be difficult to sway me from PCOM though. Tuition would probably be a big factor, but right now I think the opportunities at PCOM outweigh the tuition difference. Also, didn't you interview at NYCOM recently? Any decision?

------------------
JDG
PCOM 2004

[This message has been edited by jdg (edited 01-14-2000).]

[This message has been edited by jdg (edited 01-14-2000).]

JDG
I interviewed at NYCOM on 12/17 and haven't heard anything yet. The school is technologically cutting edge and has an extensive clinical program and residency consortium which places students in some of the best hospitals in the NJ/NY metro area. If you like that area for practice, it is something to consider. As far as how the students feel about the place, I got very mixed reviews. I would have liked to speak to some more students.
As far as SOM goes, I was wait-listed early on and haven't heard anything more. Since that is my state school, it has an obvious appeal.
I think that's wild about you're hearing so fast from PCOM. I hope I have the same experience. So I am assuming you'll be sending in a deposit - how much do they ask for and by when? It does look like a great program. I'll keep you posted.

------------------

rog

rog-
The deposit was $500, and I had 2 weeks from the date of the letter to get it in. Kind of steep don't you think? I sent it back the day thay I received my acceptance. I am still interested in NYCOM as well and would accept the interview if offered. Anyway, good luck with PCOM. It would be kind of cool if we ended up attending the same school. Hope you hear from them soon after the interview.

------------------
JDG
PCOM 2004

[This message has been edited by jdg (edited 01-15-2000).]