PCOM or NYCOM

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Juniperbee

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Which one is better, PCOM or NYCOM? People that go to either school, what are the pros and cons. Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

Juniperbee said:
Which one is better, PCOM or NYCOM? People that go to either school, what are the pros and cons. Thanks

Depends on your personal preference, situation etc. I turned down 3 other schools for NYCOM. But if I was in different situation, I would have picked UNECOM or PCOM.
All schools have +/-s and you are likely to receive strong education at all US DO/MD schools.
Good luck.

Members don't see this ad :)
Your gonna work ure ass off at both. Both will make u wanna wish u never went into medicine. Both will make ure ass knee deep in debt. Choose on staff and location. They have an excellent staff at NYCOM and location is kickass. Being a native from NYC for the past 20 yrs, trust me, location is everything. But I dont think u can go wrong if u choose the other school either. Good luck with your future career choices.

I may be biased but I think PCOM wins that one.

I am just curious why you have choosen PCOM and NYCOM in the first place, Juniperbee? Do you like the location, the people, the clerkship and residency opportunities? Are you only considering PCOM and NYCOM?
My advice is this: Don't limit yourself!

medicine1 said:
I am just curious why you have choosen PCOM and NYCOM in the first place, Juniperbee? Do you like the location, the people, the clerkship and residency opportunities? Are you only considering PCOM and NYCOM?
My advice is this: Don't limit yourself!
My first pick was NYCOM because it's close to my house, but then I went on an interview to PCOM and liked it. I also applied to UMDNJ-SOM but never heard from them.

Have you visited both schools?

i'm at pcom and i think the academic years are good and we have some good faculty (dr. fogel is awesome) but from what i've heard speaking with nycomers doing rotations and learning about ours, nycom wins on the rotations.

Juniperbee said:

PCOM is a better school.

Check the board pass rate.

Also check the credentials of accepted students.