PCOM summer biochemistry?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Hedwig

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
The dean of admissions at PCOM told me that there's an optional biochemistry class for incoming MSI's each summer. Does anybody know anything about this? Would it really help someone (like me) who's going into medical school with only the minimum science requirements (i.e., bio, chem, orgo, physics)?

Thanks,

Stephanie

Members don't see this ad.

hey hedwig, this is not in response your post but i just finally noticed that you lived in long island, i m from brooklyn going to pcom, just thought i would say its cool to see other new yorkers going to pcom, thats a post we should start....email me at [email protected]... are you going to the financial aid meeting? take care....hope to hear from you

hey hedwig, this is not in response your post but i just finally noticed that you lived in long island, i m from brooklyn going to pcom, just thought i would say its cool to see other new yorkers going to pcom, thats a post we should start....email me at [email protected]... are you going to the financial aid meeting? take care....hope to hear from you

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey Hedwig, I am about to begin my fourth year at PCOM. I did one year of the Masters program at PCOM. I am the non-traditional student (I am an accountant who had no prior science before med school.) I know many people who took the summer biochem class at PCOM. I can tell you that you will be at a tremendous advantage if you take it. At PCOM, Biochem seems to be one of the most difficult classes along with Anatomy and Neuro. Take the course, you will be very happy you did! Good luck

Stephanie,

There are two sides to this story. Yes, the summer course is a good building block for class, but you WILL review everything you do in the summer in class during the year. Yes, biochem is difficult, but Immuno was the worst and that's not covered in the summer. The summer course (last summer) was basic biochem. I noticed that people who took the class went to lecture less and spent more time studying b/c it's the SAME EXACT lecture during the year as the summer...

On the flip side, is my reason for not taking it. It costs money and I wanted to enjoy every minute of my summer. Yes, the course gives you a jump, but it takes weeks off the summer (when you could be earning money or having fun or both).

So, add up what's important to you. If you want the head start, do it. I didn't hear anyone who took it say that they wish they hadn't. Oh, and just to know, those people that do poorly in the basic sciences first year are encouraged to take the summer course with the first years to review. So, I guess that says something about the usefullness of it all too.

If you have more questions, email me.

Michelle