PCOM vs LECOM help!!!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

cinnamonroll121

Reaction score
Hello! I have been very blessed to have two acceptances! However, I am very torn!! I know both are great schools, but here are my thoughts.

PCOM:
Pros
-good reputation
-no mandatory class/dress
-great connections??
-dissect own cadaver

Cons
-4.5 hours away
-more expensive

LECOM
Pros
-1.5 hours away
-cheap
-PBL??? - don't know how I will adjust, but like being at home
-more rural

Cons
-mandatory dress/class
-lots of rules
-prosected cadaver
-more disorganized in the administration/rotation side of things?

I really like everything PCOM has going, but I LOVE LECOM's location and tuition. I will not likely want to go to class, so I will either watch lectures at home (PCOM) or thoroughly enjoy PBL at LECOM. However, I do not know how I will adjust to all of the reading. I also have no idea what specialty I want to do. What I really want to know is what school will provide me with the best education and preparation for residency. I would go to PCOM if it is a better education, but I would like to stay closer to home. I was originally set on PCOM, but now i just really don't know as I will miss family and boyfriend. But what time will I even have?? Any insight is very well appreciated!! Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Can you specify which PCOM and which LECOM? They both have different campuses, and they are not all the same.

This is one of the few times I would pick a more expensive DO school! PCOM Philly has super established residencies in almost all competitive specialties that prefer PCOM students.

Reactions: 3 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Yeah, I would probably go with PCOM-PA even though the extra tuition money would still hurt for a while.

Reactions: 1 users
This is one of the few times I would pick a more expensive DO school! PCOM Philly has super established residencies in almost all competitive specialties that prefer PCOM students.
Yeah, I would probably go with PCOM-PA even though the extra tuition money would still hurt for a while.
Thank you so much! Could you elaborate as to why? Is it truly that much better?

Thank you so much! Could you elaborate as to why? Is it truly that much better?
PCOM-PA would leave the most doors open for competitive specialties because they literally have residency programs in those specialties (Ortho, Nsurg, ophtho, Derm ect...). Also, I think PCOM is more renowned than LECOM, but I may be wrong on that point.

Reactions: 1 user
No one will be able to convince you whether or not it is worth being farther from home, that is all going to depend on what you are comfortable with as a student. I personally think that getting out of your comfort zone will help you in the long run. Also, PCOM-PA is a great DO school. However, if you'd like to have the ability to drive home every now and again, then that is totally up to you.

No one will be able to convince you whether or not it is worth being farther from home, that is all going to depend on what you are comfortable with as a student. I personally think that getting out of your comfort zone will help you in the long run. Also, PCOM-PA is a great DO school. However, if you'd like to have the ability to drive home every now and again, then that is totally up to you.
Great, thank you so so much!!

Reactions: 1 user
Late to this one - LECOM-E - save money, great match spots, solid rotations. LECOM has serious connections and their affiliated sites are a SURE-in for residency if interested. MS2 here in DSP - I don't even have class so all the rules that are feared by incoming students are bypassed (which really are not that bad regardless). I make my own schedule every day. The DSP and PBL USMLE and COMLEX are much higher too.

Late to this one - LECOM-E - save money, great match spots, solid rotations. LECOM has serious connections and their affiliated sites are a SURE-in for residency if interested. MS2 here in DSP - I don't even have class so all the rules that are feared by incoming students are bypassed (which really are not that bad regardless). I make my own schedule every day. The DSP and PBL USMLE and COMLEX are much higher too.
Why do you think the DSP/PBL board scores are higher? As in what's the reason in your opinion and what's the source of the info.