Pcom

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

sicologia

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Anyone hear from this program? There's both a Clinical PsyD and a School PsyD.

Members don't see this ad.

PCOM is Philadelphia College of Osteopathic Medicine

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm intending to research the psychosocial effects of culture and I'm also very interested in the autism/aspergers myths and research. I've connected with a few professors there who are interested in these areas as well. I'm currently working as a school psychologist on a Masters and EdS level.

I also found the website to be non-descriptive! But, I first got interested when I read about and met some of their faculty members at a recent conference. I found them to be a very friendly and impressive bunch!

I'm intending to research the psychosocial effects of culture and I'm also very interested in the autism/aspergers myths and research. I've connected with a few professors there who are interested in these areas as well. I'm currently working as a school psychologist on a Masters and EdS level.

good luck! p.s. what are the autism/aspergers myth? they are just part of a continuum, totally different, etc?

good luck! p.s. what are the autism/aspergers myth? they are just part of a continuum, totally different, etc?

Yes. they are a part of a seemingly ever-growing continuum. As a former ABA therapist, I am interested in studying the truth about the spectrum disorders. There's a lot of mis-information out there.

I'm also a former ABA therapist. Do you mean the myth of the autism "epidemic"? I think that would be a fascinating area to study. Best of luck.

I'm also a former ABA therapist. Do you mean the myth of the autism "epidemic"? I think that would be a fascinating area to study. Best of luck.
Yes, I'd like to explore how this has become an "epidemic" and what drives people to buy into it like it's the disorder du jour. Glad to see another former ABA therapist. I often miss the work. It was difficult, yet very powerful! Thanks.

Just checking to see if anyone is also headed to Philadelphia and PCOM. Thanks.

Would one of you mind elaborating a bit on what you mean by "misinformation" and "myths"?

This isn't my area, but the only serious controversey I was aware of regarding autism was whether it could be caused by childhood vaccinations.

Right now the research is leaning toward first a genetic marker followed by brain structure and function and environmental triggers. If you are interested in the high-quality research being done, check out what The Autism Treatment Network and The Simons Foundation Autism Research Initiative are doing.

But autism as a myth? Umm...is this for real?

*Ella

I'd like to clean the air in here and state what I really wanted to initially state. I didn't mean to present that autism and aspergers are myths. I meant that I'd like to explore more of the mystery and intrigue of why so many more folks are apparently getting these diagnoses. Sorry for being so unclear. Lack of sleep can do that to ya! Thanks.

my neighbor at the beach went there and raves about it. She had three kids along the way too. She said it was a place where you really have to make your own way, not too much hand holding...which is a plus or minus depending on who you are. A plus for her, as it would be for me.

Good luck and have fun in Philly.