PCOM's open house

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
J

justDOit

Has anyone been to PCOM?s open house? If you have, what did you think of it? Is it worth attending? :D

Members don't see this ad.

Definately worth attending.

I attended several over a few years prior to applying and it really gave me something to talk about on my secondary when it asked "Why PCOM?".

Also, I had the opportunity to meet admissions staff and TRUST ME...they remember who you are.

I met these folks on several separate occasions and they didn't always remember my name, but my face stuck in their minds.

Come interview day, it wasn't "nice to meet you", but rather "hey, how have you been?".

Again...it really gives a good impression of the school and you get to see the campus. Plus the food is pretty good.

And, if y ou're in Philly, there's not excuses.

Good luck.

Thanks for the info. I guess I will be attending one of the open houses then. Yes, I am in Philly so there are no excuses! PCOM is my top choice school. Good luck in your studies at PCOM.

Members don't see this ad :)
justDOit:

Where did you go to school?

It is worth attending not only to talk to admissions but I would make sure have pen and paper to get some student's #s. Because when PCOM does interviews they usually have 1 student on the panel. Sometimes a student can be your best friend on the panel, but PCOM probably had the most easy going interview out of all 10 places I interviewed at.

AK

AK, I am a senior at MCP Hahnemann. Should I just dress casual for the open house? What do you suggest? I am sure it would not hurt to be friends with the student who is on the interview panel :) . I always hear great things about PCOM, and whenever I drive by the school, I get so excited even though I have never been inside the school. Are you starting PCOM in the fall?

Definitely attend the PCOM open house... when i went, it definitely opened my eyes to a lotf things I haven't seen before and didn't know before. When is this open house? If it's sometime soon, I'd probably want to go again myself.

People a these open houses range from full 3 piece suit to t-shirt and jeans.

I always go for the middle ground. Nice pair of slacks, button down shirt, and maybe a tie if I'm in the mood.

Looking nice, especially when meeting and greeting people in high positions, is always a good idea.

I would try to make your way down to the front of the auditorium at some point to personally talk to the admissions folks and tell them your intentions on going to PCOM. Have a knowledge of osteopathic medicine, don't just say you want to go to PCOM because "I hear it's a good school."

I agree with Doc Adam. We interviewed within a few weeks of eachother. I only attended 2 interviews (cancelled the rest after I got into PCOM) and PCOMs was very laid back.

Here is a link to the Open Houses coming up:

<a href="http://www.pcom.edu/Admissions/Upcoming_Events/upcoming_events.html" target="_blank">http://www.pcom.edu/Admissions/Upcoming_Events/upcoming_events.html</a>

Feel free to ask any other questions, particularly about the application process/interview.

I would make sure you make yourself know with the following people

Carol Fox Admissions and Tammy Wrice (I think that is her last name it is probably on the web site) <a href="http://www.pcom.edu" target="_blank">www.pcom.edu</a>

Whoever is doing the OMM procedure that night, ask if you can shadow him or one of his partners.

AK

Thanks so much guys for the response....you guys were really helpful! :clap:

Deborah Erdner is a really nice woman as well.

Again, as Doc Adam said, all on the PCOM website.

===========

Adam...congrats on UB!

===========

Even though PCOM rejected me (Bastards!) and I am going allo, I thought I would throw in my 2 cents. I agree that Deb Erdner is someone to seek out during the open house and as far as shadowing an OMM doc, I shadowed Dr. Alex Nicholas and he was very open and explained what he could considering my very limited knowledge base.

Yeah, all of the OMM docs at PCOM are great. I have seen demos by almost all of them and shadowed one as well.

btw, uss, I hope you don't have this animosity towards me if we ever bump into eachother on rotations! :)