HooahDOc

15+ Year Member
Jun 23, 2003
Status
Attending Physician
I have been attempting to call a relocation office to ask this question but nobody will ever answer the phone.

My wife and I want to get one of those POD things to store our junk in as we will be staying with family the last couple of months of school. Will whoever the military gets to move us empty one of those POD things? I don't see why they wouldn't but I want to make sure before we get one. Does anyone know a better number I can try calling?

thanks

colbgw02

Delightfully Tacky
10+ Year Member
Dec 9, 2004
By the guy with the thing at the place
Status
Attending Physician
I have no specific knowledge, other than PCSing 8 times in my life, but I don't think they will. I fully admit I could be completely wrong about that. On a related note, if you're already bothering to load up one of those PODS by yourself, then why not just do a DITY move and make some cash?

Gastrapathy

no longer apathetic
Lifetime Donor
10+ Year Member
Feb 27, 2007
Status
Attending Physician
I have been attempting to call a relocation office to ask this question but nobody will ever answer the phone.

My wife and I want to get one of those POD things to store our junk in as we will be staying with family the last couple of months of school. Will whoever the military gets to move us empty one of those POD things? I don't see why they wouldn't but I want to make sure before we get one. Does anyone know a better number I can try calling?

thanks
They used to empty storage lockers, PODs, etc as long as they are within a certain distance of your primary address (not sure of the distance or if the rules have changed).

HooahDOc

15+ Year Member
Jun 23, 2003
Status
Attending Physician
I have no specific knowledge, other than PCSing 8 times in my life, but I don't think they will. I fully admit I could be completely wrong about that. On a related note, if you're already bothering to load up one of those PODS by yourself, then why not just do a DITY move and make some cash?
I was going to do a DITY move but it would be like $10,000

NateintheED

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Jul 24, 2006
Germany
Status
Attending Physician
They used to empty storage lockers, PODs, etc as long as they are within a certain distance of your primary address (not sure of the distance or if the rules have changed).
As of a year ago when I PCS'd, this was still true. As long as the POD thing is close (IIRC, 5 mile radius) to wherever you tell the movers to come get your stuff, you should be OK.

HooahDOc

15+ Year Member
Jun 23, 2003
Status
Attending Physician
Cost me $10K to move from South Carolina to Hawai'i (with car).
Yep, I'm moving from South Carolina to Hawaii as well. Do you remember how much it was to ship the car? I read the Army will only pay to ship ONE car, which is a no go when one has a wife and child.

I'm staying in a place with 6 acres of land, so the POD thing would be in the back yard.

colbgw02

Delightfully Tacky
10+ Year Member
Dec 9, 2004
Status
Attending Physician
Huh. I live in Hawai'i. I know folks that are gonna be PCSing this summer to North Carolina and Georgia. They claim to be able to move for around $5-6K.

ETA: The used car market on O'ahu is actually decent, since so many folks just leave a car when they move. If the cost of shipping your second POV is excessive, then it may be worthwhile to consider buying once here.

Last edited:

Apollyon

Screw the GST
Lifetime Donor
15+ Year Member
Nov 24, 2002
SCREW IT!
$2K for pickup from SC, on a truck to a port in Cali, then on the Matson ship to the Port of Honolulu.

It's just around $1K if you can drop it off yourself at a Cali port.

And the used car market is pretty good. As has been said elsewhere, if your vehicle is worth less than what it costs to ship it, don't. I've seen vehicles from the early 90s, and even from the 80s, doing just fine (among the BMWs and Benz's, you'll see a Monte Carlo).

Yep, I'm moving from South Carolina to Hawaii as well. Do you remember how much it was to ship the car? I read the Army will only pay to ship ONE car, which is a no go when one has a wife and child.

I'm staying in a place with 6 acres of land, so the POD thing would be in the back yard.

HooahDOc

15+ Year Member
Jun 23, 2003
Status
Attending Physician
$2K for pickup from SC, on a truck to a port in Cali, then on the Matson ship to the Port of Honolulu.

It's just around $1K if you can drop it off yourself at a Cali port.

And the used car market is pretty good. As has been said elsewhere, if your vehicle is worth less than what it costs to ship it, don't. I've seen vehicles from the early 90s, and even from the 80s, doing just fine (among the BMWs and Benz's, you'll see a Monte Carlo).
I actually have a 2006 BMW so I would def want to ship it. Who did you use? And do they insure it?

HooahDOc

15+ Year Member
Jun 23, 2003
Status
Attending Physician
I forgot to ask, does anybody know anything about the Tripler Community housing? I figure it's probably not worth the $2700/mo BAH but moving into post housing is a little easier given our situation. I just want to make sure the Tripler Community isn't a complete dump.

colbgw02

Delightfully Tacky
10+ Year Member
Dec 9, 2004
Status
Attending Physician
I forgot to ask, does anybody know anything about the Tripler Community housing? I figure it's probably not worth the $2700/mo BAH but moving into post housing is a little easier given our situation. I just want to make sure the Tripler Community isn't a complete dump.
That term would be kind in describing the TAMC housing. The rest of south Oahu Army housing is not much better. I posted a lengthy description of Oahu housing a few weeks ago if you care to search for it.

sethco

15+ Year Member
Dec 12, 2003
Status
Attending Physician
Don't mean to hijack this thread, but can anyone explain how exactly a DITY move works?

Apollyon

Screw the GST
Lifetime Donor
15+ Year Member
Nov 24, 2002
SCREW IT!
I actually have a 2006 BMW so I would def want to ship it. Who did you use? And do they insure it?
The insurance is part of the cost - the person who picks it up will take pictures all around. There is an agent on the mainland that picks up the vehicle, then there are only a few that actually ship to Hawai'i. Matson encloses their cars. What you want is either in a container, or in a closed/covered vehicle carrier. What you DON'T want is your vehicle exposed to the open ocean air.

Do NOT use West Point Relocation or All Points companies, no matter what. NOT AT ALL. This is for vehicle or household stuff. Look online for shipping companies for your car, who can take it cross-country. There are many resources available to find out what you need.

Gastrapathy

no longer apathetic
Lifetime Donor
10+ Year Member
Feb 27, 2007
Status
Attending Physician
The insurance is part of the cost - the person who picks it up will take pictures all around. There is an agent on the mainland that picks up the vehicle, then there are only a few that actually ship to Hawai'i. Matson encloses their cars. What you want is either in a container, or in a closed/covered vehicle carrier. What you DON'T want is your vehicle exposed to the open ocean air.

Do NOT use West Point Relocation or All Points companies, no matter what. NOT AT ALL. This is for vehicle or household stuff. Look online for shipping companies for your car, who can take it cross-country. There are many resources available to find out what you need.
If you are shipping a car you DON'T care about, I know a buddy was able to somehow get his car onto an LPD in San Diego and made the trip across.

After posting, I googled and found: http://greatlifehawaii.com/docs/OPLIFT_INFO_1209.pdf

Last edited:

HooahDOc

15+ Year Member
Jun 23, 2003
Status
Attending Physician
That term would be kind in describing the TAMC housing. The rest of south Oahu Army housing is not much better. I posted a lengthy description of Oahu housing a few weeks ago if you care to search for it.
I've been in chats with someone offering a really nice property in Kapolei for less than the BAH. The place is newer, nicer, twice the size, and cheaper than the Tripler Community. I'm not really sure why my wife insists on staying at the TAMC community, but I'm working on changing her mind.

It would be nice to see some actual pictures of the inside of the Tripler Community housing, but I suspect there is a reason why they don't have any.

Also, how horrible would the commute from Kapolei to TAMC be?

Apollyon

Screw the GST
Lifetime Donor
15+ Year Member
Nov 24, 2002
SCREW IT!
Also, how horrible would the commute from Kapolei to TAMC be?
Not horrible at all. You get on H-1 at exit 3, and don't hit traffic until exit 5 (Kunia/Ewa). It won't back up until you get close to where you have to merge onto H-201 at exit 13, then you're almost there.

Kapolei is up and coming. There and Makakilo really aren't bad places to be.

colbgw02

Delightfully Tacky
10+ Year Member
Dec 9, 2004
Status
Attending Physician
There's no guarantee that you'll even be offerred housing at TAMC. It's likely, if you're sans children, considering that the TAMC quarters are probably only 40% filled, if even that - but not guaranteed. If offerred, I suspect your wife's mind will change as soon as she sets eyes on the neighborhood and housing.

Kapolei isn't that bad commute-wise, and some of the cheapest and newest places to live on the island are out that way. If you're unsure of where you'd like to live, then I highly recommend that you rent for the first 4-6 months until you're more familiar with the area. I received this advice when I moved here, and I wish I had listened to it. Although I really like the town in which I live, I wish I had taken more time to familiarize myself with the area and realize just how much home I could afford.

HooahDOc

15+ Year Member
Jun 23, 2003
Status
Attending Physician
There's no guarantee that you'll even be offerred housing at TAMC. It's likely, if you're sans children, considering that the TAMC quarters are probably only 40% filled, if even that - but not guaranteed. If offerred, I suspect your wife's mind will change as soon as she sets eyes on the neighborhood and housing.

Kapolei isn't that bad commute-wise, and some of the cheapest and newest places to live on the island are out that way. If you're unsure of where you'd like to live, then I highly recommend that you rent for the first 4-6 months until you're more familiar with the area. I received this advice when I moved here, and I wish I had listened to it. Although I really like the town in which I live, I wish I had taken more time to familiarize myself with the area and realize just how much home I could afford.
Actually when I called they told me a place in the Tripler community was opening up at the time we would be arriving.

Doesn't matter, we're trying to get the place in Kapolei. I think it is almost a done deal. Crossing my fingers.

chemist157

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Apr 30, 2007
Status
Fellow [Any Field]
Actually when I called they told me a place in the Tripler community was opening up at the time we would be arriving.

Doesn't matter, we're trying to get the place in Kapolei. I think it is almost a done deal. Crossing my fingers.
How much did you find one for in Kapolei?

HooahDOc

15+ Year Member
Jun 23, 2003
Status
Attending Physician
How much did you find one for in Kapolei?
$2400/mo for a 2000 sq ft place, 4BR, 2.5 bath. Tripler Community is your entire BAH ($2780 for me) for a 1000 sq ft 3BR 1 bath house. No thanks.

chemist157

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Apr 30, 2007
Status
Fellow [Any Field]
$2400/mo for a 2000 sq ft place, 4BR, 2.5 bath. Tripler Community is your entire BAH ($2780 for me) for a 1000 sq ft 3BR 1 bath house. No thanks.
WOW! Congrats man, that sounds awesome.