1. The SDN iPhone App is back and free through November! Get it today and please post a review on the App Store!
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dismiss Notice

PCSOM class of 2005

Discussion in 'Medical Students - DO' started by COONA$$, Apr 5, 2001.

1. Just looking for anyone accepted to the class of 2005.

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. Geno

Geno Junior Member
    7+ Year Member

I was accepted in the 2005 class. Drop me an email. Do u have ICQ?

4. [This message has been edited by BostonGirl (edited April 05, 2001).]

5. Blazer

Blazer Junior Member
    7+ Year Member

Hello,
    I have an interview at Pikeville scheduled for May 5th. I was wondering what the day was like? I would appreciate any advice from those who will be attending in the Fall?

6. Geno

Geno Junior Member
    7+ Year Member

It is a laid back day Blazer. Starts with student guided tour. You get a chance to chat with current 1st and 2nd years. Conversational type questions in the interview. Advice: relax

Email me if you have specific questions.

Geno

7. Blazer

Hey, like Geno said, the interview was laid back. Talk to everyone there and be relaxed, the more laid back the better. This is just a walk in the park.

My interview lasted about 45 minutes. We basically just exchanged conversation. They do however ask an ethical question. Take your time on that and look at the issue from both side, but once you take a stance, be sure to stick to your guns.

The interviewers are not there to kill you they just want to get to know you.

They know your grades and scores and they invited you.....now they just want to see you and get to know you.

8. Blazer

Blazer Junior Member
    7+ Year Member

Thanks,

Has anyone heard where Pikeville's first graduating class received their residencies? I wonder how residency programs perceive students from a "new" medical school?

9. Pikevillemedstudent

Pikevillemedstudent Bengals Fan
    10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    I haven't seen a list but here is what I have heard. I know two students matched to ENT. Two matched to Family practice at East Tenn. State, I know of at least one that matched to UK(no clue on what field), and the family practice residency at Pikeville filled all six spots with PCSOM grads. I am going to try to get my hands on a match list. If I do, I will post the entire thing on SDN.

10. Billie

Billie An Oldie but a Goodie...
    10+ Year Member

PikevilleMedStudent,
    Were the 6 matched to the DO internship or to the actual family practice residency?

Just curious for my future in applying there [​IMG]

Billie

11. Wheels2000

Wheels2000 Junior Member
    10+ Year Member

Yeah, I'll be going to PCSOM, too. See you in August!

Wheels

12. Pikevillemedstudent

10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    I think it is more probable that it was the internship. For some reason, the family practice residency in pikeville is very competitive. You wouldn't think that would be true of such a new program, but it is. I would say that these same students will be accepted into the FP residency though. I thought you were a third year? If you are, the competition will most likely not be as stiff next year, but I am only guessing. Also, I meant to ask you this earlier but forgot. What's the story with PMH dropping the ER group? Have they hired a new group yet?

13. BADunning

BADunning Member
    7+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    I'll be there this fall. I'm moving from Memphis to Pikeville sometime around the end of June. By the time class starts in August I'll be 39 y/o. Anyone want to compare ages? :cool:

14. Blazer

Blazer Junior Member
    7+ Year Member

BADunning,

When did you interview? I have an interview this Saturday. I can't wait I'm so excited. By the way I'm 24.
    Did you drive to Pikeville? I'll be driving from North Alabama and was thinking of going to Knoxville and then up through Virginia. Any advice.

15. BADunning

BADunning Member
    7+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    Hi Blazer,

Yeah I drove up from Memphis, through Knoxville and Kingsport. I took US-23 from Kingsport right into Pikeville. The school is pretty easy to find from the highway. (Indeed, almost everything is easy to find in Pikeville, compared to Memphis.) My interview was in January.

The most advice that I can think of to tell you it to be relaxed and be yourself. If you desire to be a primary care physician, espesically for a rural area, then PCSOM will be a good match for you. If you got invited for an interview, then they like your stats. So, now they want to see who you are beyond the numbers. Just remember that the members of the ADCOM are people too. They don't know everything and they can make mistakes just as well as the rest of us. Be yourself, be honest and you should do fine.

Having said that, I wish you good luck.

16. Blazer

Blazer Junior Member
    7+ Year Member

Hey,

Thanks man, I'll let you know how it goes.

17. Blazer

Blazer Junior Member
    7+ Year Member

Hey Pikevillemedstudent,

Any update on where students received their residencies?
    What about living in Pikeville? Do most students rent apartments or homes? I was there about two years ago and didn't see many apartments.

18. B_ADAMS

B_ADAMS Member
    7+ Year Member

I have heard of a few people buying, but my advice is to rent, because you may choose to do your 3rd and 4th year rotations elsewhere.

There are several groups of townhouses and apartments around town.

Contact Adams Realty and talk to Millie, she can set you up.

19. B_ADAMS

B_ADAMS Member
    7+ Year Member

Blazer

Let us know how everything goes on Saturday.

Oh yeah, the Ad Com is quite quick with a decision so you won't have to sweat it but for about a week.

Do Well (and not good luck, luck has nothing to do with it).

Relax and let them know that you deserve to be there.

20. BADunning

BADunning Member
    7+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    Yes they are quick. I interviewed on a Saturday, (as does everyone at PCSOM), and aobut nine days later I recieved a call from Dr. Strosnider, saying welcome to this years class. (A *good* feeling.)

I'll be watching the thread to see how you fare. (I know you'll do well.)

---
    COONA$$: your nick sounds cajun. I'm looking forward to meeting you. Are you in the "old man" category? I am at 38. :rolleyes:

21. B_ADAMS

B_ADAMS Member
    7+ Year Member

Definitely a cajun (not the uneducated type though). My grand parents spoke C. french until the 2nd grade. Great cooks, both of them.

I'm from south Louisiana and I love it down here, but I'm ready to move into the hills and see a little cold weather.

I am 23, not exactly an old man, but I'll be getting married in July if that counts for a few years.

22. camel145

camel145 New Member

Hey gang. I'm also heading to PCSOM in the fall. Good luck to all of those interviewing this weekend.
    -camel145

23. Billie

Billie An Oldie but a Goodie...
    10+ Year Member

Hi PikevilleMedStudent,

Sorry for the late reply. I have been having some trouble accessing the boards...

Yes, PMH ER has a new group to come in and replace InPhyNet. We shall see how well they do....

Yes I am a third year...in my last month as an MS-III. In June I become an MS-IV! :D

Billie

24. Pikevillemedstudent

10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    Thanks for the info Billie.

Blazer,
    Most rent but some do own. I know some that bought a house while others bought trailors. Pikeville pretty much has whatever you need, as far as housing that is. COONA is dead on. Contact Millie if you have any trouble. Most at the school that do rent, rent from Millie. As far as matching, I have not asked them for the match list yet. But I will. The second semester is now over!!!! I will try to ask Monday.

25. BADunning

BADunning Member
    7+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    Pikevillemedstudent,

You say most that rent, rent from Millie. Does she work at that school? If not, how does one go about contacting her?

26. Pikevillemedstudent

10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    No she doesn't work at the school, but she does love renting to med students. Look up Adam's Real Estate in the phone book. Millie Frost is her name, I think. Happy hunting.

27. Blazer

Blazer Junior Member
    7+ Year Member

Hey guys,

Man, I was so impressed with Pikeville. The town is beautiful this time of year. Did any of you see the hospital? My wife is a nurse, so we decided to go inside. It looks great. Everything is brand new. I also thought the school was really nice. I really hope I get accepted. Mr. Payson said we should find out next Monday.
    As for my interview, I really don't know. It lasted about 40 minutes. How long did most of your interviews last? I was asked so many questions? Maybe that is a good sign. I'll let you all know the outcome. Pikevillemedstudent are you a second year? If so good luck studying for the boards.

28. Pikevillemedstudent

10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    Blazer,
    No I am not a second year yet. Will be in about 3 weeks!!! My interview lasted about 40 minutes also. Also, did you attend the SOMA convention a few weeks ago? If so, I think I met you. Anyways, good luck.

29. BADunning

BADunning Member
    7+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    Pikevillemedstudent:

Were you one of the students at the interview on the 6th of January. If you were there I suppose that I saw you then, but I still don't know for sure.

BTW, how much interaction is there between classes. Say, between the 1st and 2nd year classes.

30. Pikevillemedstudent

10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    BA Dunning,
    No I was not one of the students at the interview. I haven't attended any of the interviews. I always seemed to have something going on, like studying, that kept me from going to the interviews. There is some interaction with the second years. Some of us guys get together and play basketball at the YMCA. We also have intramurals with the undergrad and usually our class ends up playing the second years. We also have Current Isssues in Medicine together. Basically some interact alot with the second years some don't.

31. BADunning

BADunning Member
    7+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    Hey PCSOM class of 2005,

I found an interesting link yesterday. Click on the url below and it will take you to a webcam that overlooks part of Pikeville. It's a nice view.
    http://www.setel.com/webcam/pikeville.jpg

---
    Blazer,

My interview lasted about 40-45 minutes also. It was pretty laid back, with one hard ethical question. I felt pretty good about the interview afterward.

I'll keep watching to see how you do.

32. Blazer

Blazer Junior Member
    7+ Year Member

Hey guys,

OK I can't take it anymore. I have waited patiently all this week but I don't think I can make it over the weekend. Would it be appropriate to call today?

blazer

33. BADunning

BADunning Member
    7+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    Hey Blazer,

Well if you've made it this far I think you'll be rewarded on Monday or Tuesday at the latest. I would probably call on Wednesday if I hadn't heard anything, based on the quick turnaround everyone else has experiences with the ADCOM.

Of course, if you've already called, then this message is pretty moot anyway.

34. Blazer

Blazer Junior Member
    7+ Year Member

I received my acceptance letter Friday afternoon. I am still in shock. Thanks to everyone for all your advice. I look forward to meeting each of you in August.

35. BADunning

BADunning Member
    7+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    Blazer,

Congratulations! I look forward to seeing you in August too.

Well done man!

36. B_ADAMS

B_ADAMS Member
    7+ Year Member

Blazer,

Congrats, feel free to email me if you have any questions.

My advice--- FIND A PLACE TO LIVE NOW!!!

37. B_ADAMS

B_ADAMS Member
    7+ Year Member

Blazer-

Where do you live?
    And are you a Pacer

38. jackson

jackson New Member

Good for you. Have been checking this past week to see how things turned out for you.

Look forward to meeting you in August. I will be down there around memorial day to look for housing.

Later,
    TJ

39. Blazer

Blazer Junior Member
    7+ Year Member

Hey COONA$$,

I'm planning to go to Pikeville this weekend. Hopefully, I'll be able to find a place. I am married, so my wife will also be looking for a job. Luckily she is a nurse, so I think finding a job will not be that difficult.
    I am from Birmingham, Alabama. I have worked for the past year in AIDS research here at UAB. I think I remember you saying that you were getting married? What does your future wife do? Do you know where you'll be living yet? I tried to find a number to Adams Realty but I haven't been able to locate one. Do you have Millie's number? We are planning on moving the second week in July.
    Good luck in your move to the mountains.

Dustin Gandy

40. B_ADAMS

B_ADAMS Member
    7+ Year Member

Blazer-

I'll get that number for you.
    My future wife is a teacher and she's looking for a job right now.

Jackson-

Where are you from?

41. BADunning

BADunning Member
    7+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    Does anyone plan on being in Pikeville on the 29th, 30th or 31st of this month? I'll be up with my wife househunting. Perhaps we can meet up somewhere.

My email address is in my profile.

---
    Blazer,

The Pikeville phone directory (I snagged one in January) lists a Mildred Frost with a number of 423-4679. You may be able to contact her at that number.
    :cool:

42. Blazer

Blazer Junior Member
    7+ Year Member

Pikevillemedstudent,

What are the classes we will have our very first semester? I can't seem to find anything that specifically tells what we will be taking. I know, of course, Gross, Cell , and OPP. But what else? Do we have Biochem first or second semester?
    Why is orientation a week long? What day wil the white coat ceremony be on? Sorry I have so many questions.

43. Pikevillemedstudent

10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    Blazer,
    They like to change the schedule from class to class so I do not know exactly what you will have but we had Cell/histo, gross, biochem, clinical skills, and OPP from the start. We added embryo after the first block. Biochem and gross lasted a little longer than the first semester. I have heard rumors that you guys may have micro in the first year, but I do not know if that is true. For us they changed the first year schedule to include immuno, in the first year, as a separate class from micro, which for us will be a second year class.

The orientation is a week long because they have alot of stuff to tell you. Also, they have a class on how to use your laptop with the server which is very important. Something about the school that I did not know when I first got here was that they gave you free internet from home. I thought we would just have to go to school to get on, but no they give you a dail up account as well. The white coat ceremony will be on Saturday, I think, after orientation. Not really finalized yet, but we are working on it. Our class changed the date for you guys. They had our white coat ceremony after our first block. I think it makes more sense to have it at the beginning.

Feel free to ask me any other questions. Right now we have ENT, Opthamology, radiology, and Physiology, which compared to the last block, this is a cushy schedule. Summer classes are actually pretty cool. I think they do that so people will go to class. ;)

44. Blazer

Blazer Junior Member
    7+ Year Member

Hey all,

I went to Pikeville this past weekend to find a place to live. Let me tell you it was not easy. We found a place yesterday afternoon right before we left to come back to Alabama. My wife got a job at Pikeville Methodist working on the Peds floor.
    Good luck to all who have yet to find a place. Many students will be leaving soon to begin rotations so hopefully you will be able to locate a place. I know Kenny Leatherman will have a place available soon but it depends on when the student will leave for rotations. I would suggest going by the school and getting the list from Mrs. Hamilton. I also believe Mr. Justice has a place for rent on Peach Orchard. I know he doesn't allow pets. His number is available on the list.

Good Luck