Pcsom

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

uhs07

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Is PCSOM a racially tolerant school? Would you advice a black male to attend?

Members don't see this ad.

I know of a girl whose family is from Brazil that goes to PCSOM.

I certainly would advise you to attend. You would not be treated any differently good or bad. There are several black females currently attending the school. We have accepted several URM but not many chose to attend because of the lack of diversity in the area. Pikeville college as a whole is very diverse with people from several different countries.

Members don't see this ad :)
I would advise you to attend PCSOM. I grew up in Pikeville and you won't have any problems.

The real question is whether you'd feel comfortable being outnumbered (quantitatively) 20:1 in the student body and town? Pikevegas is like any small rural town, to my observation, and they tend to distrust anyone who is not from there. That said, they like medical students and treat them pretty well.

I'd spend some time there outside of the one interview day and see what you think. The other thing to remember is that you'll probably only spend your first 2 years in pikeville and then will be on the road (potentially) for your rotations, so perhaps you could rotate in places with even more diversity.

I don't want to discourage you, but would want you to try to figure out what is important to you. I believe pikeville is tolerant, but you might not have as many people from a similar background to socialize with. I believe that the PCSOM student body if very diverse, on the other hand, and you'd probably learn a lot.

Your mileage may vary...