PCSOMers 2005

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Geno

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys. Have any of you guys that are coming to PCSOM moved to Pikeville yet? I am starting to study the basic sciences. I have all the notes from the 1st year classes(from 2 years ago). Looking for some people who might be interested in some afternoon study. Also looking for anyone interested in hitting the links for some golf.

Members don't see this ad.

Damn!!! I wish you were in my class, I would have studied with you.... Good luck, don't burn yourself out before classes start.... Later :cool:

Geno,
Don't do it man. You don't need to study this summer. I was also like you, I tried to study over the summer but it didn't work. As it turns out, I still did well this past year without the added study hours from the summer. I am sure you can do the same. As for the links, that sounds awesome. Have you been to the new course in Prestonsburg? I hear it has pretty narrow fairways. I just like the idea that they turned a strip mine into a golf course! See ya in August.

Members don't see this ad :)
PikevilleMed,
I have been on the links for the past 4 days. I have decided against the structured study. Starting reading FirstAid, but that's about it. I am going to StoneCrest today. I heard there are narrow fairways too. That's not good for the old handicap.

Can any of you guys give me some info on pikeville? whats the easiest way to get there? what is it like overthere? is it like amish country? are there mountains everywhere? if any of you dont mind sharing any mcat/gpa info, it will be greatly appreciated

Amish in Eastern KY? I've never heard of that. I thought they were mostly in PA or OH.

PikevilleMedStudent, are there Amish in East. KY? Do they have any place where tourists can go?

Also, do you know any of the interns in this first class at PMH? Once they start, I just wondered what they thought of their internship, and if you hear anything let me know! :)

Billie

Amish in KY? I don't think so. Could you imagine trying to drive a wagon down those mountains? WHOA!!!!!!! NELLY!!!!!!!!!

There are no amish in Eastern Ky but there are some in Western Ky. The best way to get to Pikeville is to fly into Huntington WV. It is only like an hour away. I do know two of the interns there and I have been told that we(MSII) will be assigned to them for one day a week so I think I will be able to get the scoop. BTW Billie, are you interested in FP? I do know that they have to take q3 in house call. They prefer to have two interns on call per night!

Howdy again PikevilleMedStudent,

I am definitely NOT interested in FP. I am still shooting for EM though it is getting more and more competitive by the second! Yes find out all the good "dirt" for me about the internship program. I have my doubts that I will be accepted (being a foreigner from another school :D ) but I still plan on applying to Pikeville for the 2002-2003 internship class. I did know about the call schedule. It sounds "icky" (fancy medical term) :)

Billie

To the PCSOM Class of 2005. Welcome, I am a member of the Faculty and incharge of postgradute studies. If I can be of any help, just ask.

Dr. Murphy?

Yup, That's me. I thought I could be of some help if any one needs to talk about Pikeville, PCSOM, Osteopathic Medicine, Postgrad opportunities, the Navy/military or just stuff.

Dr.A-OPTIC/NavyDO, the "new" A-OPTIC IM programs are 4 years. How soon can a new program establish a IM track (3 years)? I'm interested in some of the A-OPTIC programs, but 3 years sound better than 4.

Dr. Murphy,

Did Pikeville scrap the idea of an ER residency? Or is it just put on hold for awhile?

Thanks for any info you can offer!

Billie, MS-IV
WVSOM

Max,
The IM program at the VA in Huntington, WV will be a three (3) year program. I am currently working with their administration and teaching staff to start an AOA approved program with an IM fast track in 2002. What my A-OPTICgrams for further details. There are lots of good thing happenin' in them hills and hollars.
Billie,
The Pikeville Methodist ER program is still in the developemental stages and I hope to have some thing diffinative in the next few weeks. If you like I will put you on my A-OPTICgram (a monthly e-mail news letter on what is new and exciting in A-OPTIC postgraduate net work) mailing list. Just E-mail me at [email protected] This invitation is open to all of you.

To all PCSOMers,
Four weeks to go, are there any last minute questions or help any one needs? Now is the time to ask.

I have just been granted a seat from the waitlist. I am curious about the OMM or OPP course. I am extremely interested in manipulation. How good is the course at PCSOM? Is there a strong emphasis on OMM?

First off, congratulations on your acceptance to PCSOM. OPP at PCSOM is awesome. Dr. Stiles teaches the majority of the class and is excellent. He teaches you a way to use OMT in practice which in my opinion is the best way to teach it. In real life, no FP doc is going to spend 45 minutes using OMT on one patient. Dr. Stiles shows you ways to treat every dysfunction in this manner. Also, at PCSOM we cover all the manipulation techniques and the exams are cumulative. He teaches a technique called Functional or the Still technique which many schools do not teach or do not teach in depth. Incidentally, Dr. Stiles was quoted several times in a recent article in "The DO" about the Still tech.

BTW, start searching for a place to live NOW!!

I just received a list from PCSOM of houses and rentals in the area. There appear to be alot of them. One of the persons I spoke to in the admissions office said to be very cautious about renting sight unseen. It appears there are some less than honest people renting some out in less than desirable areas. I have more specifics if anyone wants to e-mail me directly. My problem is that I won't be there until probably August 10, right before orientation!! So I was counting on finding someplace then. If this is not a very wise idea, please let me know. I could probably get there earlier but I am leaving my wife and kids as it is and wanted to spend as much time with them as possible. I do have some people in Lex area that would be able to go and check things out for me, if necessary. I would appreciate any help or info anyone would be willing to give!!!! Thanks for the congrats. My other choice was MSUCOM, but I have since decided PCSOM is the school for me.

Hey, I was just wondering, what is the actual tuition this year? I have the old catalog and it states $23,100. Is it still accurate?

The actual tuition this year is a little over $24,000. It has went up twice in two years so hopefully it won't go up again for awhile. I had a friend who got in off the waitlist right before orientation started. He found a place and moved in over the weekend and started orientation that Monday. So in other words, I think Aug. 10 is plenty of time to find a place but maybe not in the location or price range you desire.